News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > News & Articles

Old 17th Jul 2003, 06:25 AM   #1
RaptoR
been here far too long

New UT2004 Stuff

We reported yesterday that scans of a large UT2004 preview from the Dutch gaming magazine PC Gameplay had been posted over on the Atari Forums.

While the Dutch article doesn't reveal a wealth of new UT2004 info, Steve Polge's answer to this question is rather interesting (thanks to hans_vdc for the translation).

PCGP: will there be some other new weapons, next to the already annoucned spider mines?

SP: for now there will be four new weapons (spider mindes included). there will be a rocketlauncher specifically designed to take out vehicles. you'll be able to guide this rocket to the target. there are also sticky mines, which you can fire and so they stick on other players or vehicles and last but not least after popular demand, the traditional sniper rifle makes a comeback.

So there you have it -- a new rocket launcher for taking out vehicles, as well as the return of the trusty sniper rifle.

We also grabbed some screenshots from the scans posted on the Atari forums, cleaned them up a bit and have posted them below for your viewing pleasure :).

Aircraft

Hovercraft

In-game 1

In-game 2

In-game 3

Robot

Skaarj

Old 17th Jul 2003, 08:11 AM   #2
FluXs
old skool

hmm sweet stuff, I cant wait to get our vehicles into UT2004

Defence Alliance, a UT, UT2004 and UT2007 Total Conversion
My Online Status ...
FluXs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2003, 03:04 PM   #3
The Twiggman
Instagib 4 Life

Will the vehicles have bot support? Or be like 2 seaters and one driver and one gunner. That would be pro. Or be able to build stationary guns.

The pictures looked rather the same as 2k3 though. Just new models and vehicles.
The Twiggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2003, 03:22 PM   #4
Assymilator
No idea what to put here.

Yes! Sniper Rifle!
Old 17th Jul 2003, 04:54 PM   #5
Raden
lol

So enough people bitched and complained about the sniper rifle, and Epic gave in. Let's hear it for change, you whining pussies.
Raden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2003, 05:03 PM   #6
djpaul

A proper Sniper rifle, spider mines, guidable rockets - you could pay 30 for UT2004, or download Chaos UT2 and have (eveything but the spider mines, in this build), for free.

What seems most sensible?
djpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2003, 05:41 PM   #7
RaptoR
been here far too long

You're overlooking the small matter of vehicles, the new player models, two huge new game modes and 40 new maps, plus improved netcode and voice chat support.
Old 17th Jul 2003, 05:49 PM   #8
djpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptoR
You're overlooking the small matter of vehicles, the new player models, two huge new game modes and 40 new maps, plus improved netcode and voice chat support.
Yes. But the only end-user-noticable test of netcode is if it significantly decreases - the user notices the delay. I suspect this statement might be referring to Karma, which is a big beast to replicate at the moment (which they'd need to address as these new vehicles use karma). Very little/no Karma is replicated at the moment, therefore we cannot notice an "improvement" if we've nothing to base our (new) observations on.

Voice chat is always welcome, as are playermodels and the vehicles.

How many maps do you play on frequently? Not as many as 40, i'd guess.

Playermodels are different, as these are download less than map, so this is welcome.

Last edited by djpaul; 17th Jul 2003 at 05:54 PM.
djpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2003, 06:50 AM   #9
Selerox
COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Exclamation Gah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemephosis
So enough people bitched and complained about the sniper rifle, and Epic gave in. Let's hear it for change, you whining pussies.
Agreed. The sniper rifle was dropped from from UT2003 for a reason.

Epic really needs to think more carefully about who they listen to, before they start making changes that hurt the balance of the game.

"There are no Christians, as far as I know, blowing up buildings. I am not aware of Christian suicide bombers. I am not aware of any major Christian denomination that believes the penalty for apostasy is death. I have mixed feelings about the decline for Christianity, in so far that Christianity might be a bulwark against something worse" - Professor Richard Dawkins
Selerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2003, 08:03 AM   #10
DeRailer
insignificant

Well Epic mentioned a new sniper rifle, but they didn't mention they'll be removing the Lightning gun from tdm and ctf. You can't have spidermines in tdm and duels so...
Lets just wait for official words
DeRailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2003, 08:43 PM   #11
Curve[UK]
Twist Your Perception

hhhmm anyone else notice the subtle way that robot looks like xan? Except i guess there is no chance of giving that bombshell away so easily.
Old 18th Jul 2003, 08:53 PM   #12
Raden
lol

Well considering they already said Xan was coming back (so now it's Xan AND the old sniper rifle, why don't I just go play UT again ) I don't think it's that impossible.
Raden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2003, 10:05 AM   #13
The Twiggman
Instagib 4 Life

Hehe, thats sweet dude. Xan rules. Anyways I didn't even know there was more gametypes in this version. So thats a little better now. But still I think they should have all the weapons from all the series. Like a nice pile to mix and match. How much can that be. And the replay value will be up there in there end.
The Twiggman is offline   Reply With Quote