News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004

Old 18th Jun 2003, 11:48 AM   #1
DeaJae
taking a month's break

should i continue these?

a couple of maps i've been working on at home. been trying to find some unique way of making my own maps, and try and get a theme into them. i've worked on a CTF/BR theme for now.

i've seem to have latched onto the idea of demonstrating 'terrority' with lighting colours. what do you guys think of this? too bland? makes map strange?

Number 1: new work: Alaskan Refinery.
Snow based map with a heavy smoggy sky (least i hope its going to come out smoggy). about 10% completed currently building Refinery platforms and wonderinf how to do animated smoke.

number 2: Volcano Dugouts.
Strange rock formations allow players to climb routes or fall to a warm soup of death. orginally was going to be a dig site exploring an ancient city in a Volcanic Island, not got round to designing or making it look 'ancient'

Number 3: Karp's layout for the Chainmap.
about 80% completed, was my first jump into UED3. i think its below average. first part was ready for the chainmap project... which seemed to have died so i just thought what the heck, see what its like when its done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlaskanRef.jpg (70.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg half caves.jpg (37.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Karpmap.jpg (37.2 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by DeaJae; 18th Jun 2003 at 11:54 AM.
DeaJae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2003, 12:11 PM   #2
Thrawn70
Hang-around

The lighting the terrain seems kinda funky. I'd prefer having posts or beacons or something that matches the theme showing up every once in while with a light, sign, or other item giving you a clue as to which base you're in.
Old 18th Jun 2003, 12:27 PM   #3
WebSlinger
bNotNegative != False

man, I dunno, but DeaJae, that is the funniest avatar I've ever seen
WebSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2003, 12:29 PM   #4
TWD
Cute and Cuddly

Yeah exactly. Is what you need to get a grasp of is sources. Light doesn't just come out of nowhere. It has to have a source. So if it's an ouside level first make a light for the sun that will light the whole terrain area. Make it the color that the sun would give off. If it's the moon at night it should slightly blue tinted. Then you add light posts signs etc that give off light. Give those red colors, and make sure those team lights are everywhere so I always can figure out what base i'm in.

Also using textures with colors in them works too. There are several textures that might be metal with a red or blue stripe. Those can be helpfull.
Old 18th Jun 2003, 03:32 PM   #5
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

coming from a skilled mapper like TWD...

It is truth...although I think you should go with the level of ambience that feels right for the level. Maybe it's day with HEAVY cloud cover and they have colored spotlights the map over... In fact I say release the map when it is something you would play yourself. All the n00b maps out there I would be surprised if the people that made them would play them a second time... If you would play the map, it is likely alot of people would.

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2003, 06:38 AM   #6
edhe
..dadhe..

I say:
Keep going with the ideas you have, doesn't matter what 'mappers' think If it's a fun map, runs well and has a good theme to it then that's what we all want.

Get your own Gamercard Sig.
edhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2003, 07:32 PM   #7
DeaJae
taking a month's break

BAMPF!

done a bit more on/off work on these,
Alaskan refinery.
i added some bunkers... which screwed it up and now back to just a terrian on there. abandoned for a few days/months/years...

Volcano dugouts.

tidyed up the rocks and added a hole for sunlight to create an amazing middle area (see picture). also looking for some decent bridge static meshes for the middle to complete a BR version of this map ( i plan to release CTF/BR versions first, if theres a demand i will bring in a DD version too)

Karp's chainmap.

finally got the stairs finished and decided that would make a good flag room. all stairs and rooms are finished, just needs some sexing up with decorations and static meshes. also needs middle section digging out for a BR spawn point.
added another bottom level entrance to half circle/flag room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Caves-very almost done.jpeg (67.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpeg chainmap2.jpeg (59.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpeg chainmap almost.jpeg (54.9 KB, 13 views)