News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Off Topic

Old 10th Feb 2002, 05:39 PM   #1
asnstyle

Who is a Game Developer??

My name is Josh Adams and I plan to pursue a career in game development, currently I am also taking skills for the workplace, which is a class to teach high school student how to deal with the concerns of a job. Further more I was given an assignment to ask a company, of a career of choice, questions about the dealings of that job. If you could answer these questions and e-mail this message back to me at asnstyle@msn.com it would be appreciated.

1. What kind of career in a college should I enter in order to enter game developing?

2. What experiences should I have in order to become successful in game development?

3. What kind of software, for game development, do you use in your company?

4. Which classes would you recommend I take before I go any further?

5. How did you get your job?

6. If you could do it all over again, would you choose the same path for yourself? Why?

7. What training opportunities do you think I should expect in an entry-level job?

8. Is there a trend toward an overabundance of people entering the game development field?

9. What types of positions has your company recently hired for?

10. As far as you know, which game developing companies hire and train the most recent high management?

11. How often do you work past 6:00 and on the weekends?

12. How did you become interested in game development?

13. What kinds of job titles are there currently in your company?

14. What else do you think I need to know in order to make an intelligent decision about game development as my career?

15. Can you suggest anyone else whom it would be helpful to talk to? If so. May I use your name?

Sincerely, Josh Adams.
asnstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2002, 05:43 PM   #2
Daedalus
I don't even...

you can stop spamming the boards now...
Old 10th Feb 2002, 05:45 PM   #3
8-4-7-2

Arrow

1.) Don't double post. If it doesn't immediatly appear it isn't lost

Noone here works in game development, let alone have a company. This is a board visited by players

And it's a pretty wide buisness. You could be musician, programmer, level designer, modeller, artist.
Pretty much all of the leading designers these days like Sid Meier, Peter Molyneux, or John Romero started as programmers.

So knowing languages like C++ certainly won't hurt.

No idea how you do get into the buisness. Maybe by applying, and showing them what you can by hobby projects.
Some of the leading coders and mapper of the UT scene got a job at Epic/DE by outstanding skill. But that's an exception
8-4-7-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2002, 08:54 PM   #4
Sapphire Nights
BANNED

Josh,
8-4-7-2 is giving you some good advice. Most game programmers start out doing it for fun. Like making maps, models and skins, and doing coding for free mods. But many end up quitting because the time commitment is high. You can also get into it by being a game tester.

A big help is having a strong background in math, physics and computer science. C++ is the language of choice. Nothing can touch it for execution speed. Learn it. Java is a joke. But that might change over time.

Another thing, game development is not fun and games. The deadlines are murder. The hours are long. And there is no job security. It's a tough industry.

Here is a forum where coders hang out. Some one there might be able to help you.

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/forum...s=&forumid=101
Old 11th Feb 2002, 07:27 AM   #5
Sam_The_Man
I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism

Is this some new specialized kind of trolling, designed to lure us into replying in order to point out his stupidity?

I mean, why should we be bothered to answer his questions when he can't be bothered to a) check the forums for replies, instead asking us to email him and b) try and find someone who actually works as a game developer, instead posting on the Off Topic forum for a game-related board?
The personal, as everyone's so f*cking fond of saying, is political. So if some power player tries to harm you, TAKE IT PERSONALLY. Get angry. Time and again they cream your liquidation, your displacement, your torture and brutal execution with the ultimate insult that it's just business, it's politics, it's the way of the world, it's a tough life and that IT'S NOTHING PERSONAL. Well, f*ck them. Make it personal."
-Quellcrist Falconer, Things I Should Have Learnt By Now, Vol. II
Sam_The_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2002, 07:40 AM   #6
DeRailer
insignificant

Come on, he's new to forums maybe.

Try sending him an email
DeRailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2002, 07:58 AM   #7
Original9
Deleted.

NO! I hate these things. I get spammed questions like this in the mail. I think it's stupid that they can't goto epics site and ask.
Original9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2002, 10:23 AM   #8
8-4-7-2

Talking

Sam has something of a point, which I didn't see before. Many newbies make that mistake and usually I don't bother replying then.

You can't accept others to do all the work for you. So simply checking back for replies is a minimum rquirement. And if someone can't do that, there is still e-mail notification
8-4-7-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2002, 07:56 AM   #9
Sam_The_Man
I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism

Quote:
Come on, he's new to forums maybe.
The long post I was about to make in reply to this can be summed up in three simple words.

I. Don't. Care.

Whatever he thinks forums are, if he thinks they're a place to spam his questionnaire, he's wrong.
The personal, as everyone's so f*cking fond of saying, is political. So if some power player tries to harm you, TAKE IT PERSONALLY. Get angry. Time and again they cream your liquidation, your displacement, your torture and brutal execution with the ultimate insult that it's just business, it's politics, it's the way of the world, it's a tough life and that IT'S NOTHING PERSONAL. Well, f*ck them. Make it personal."
-Quellcrist Falconer, Things I Should Have Learnt By Now, Vol. II
Sam_The_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2002, 09:04 AM   #10
Hourences

he was just asking questions, how could he know....
if you dont care, dont read it

as for the real answer, just own everything in what you are doing and youll get there, be so good other people fall dead (by amasement) by looking at your stuff
Old 12th Feb 2002, 09:07 AM   #11
Papapishu
我是康

Quote:
Originally posted by Sapphire Nights
A big help is having a strong background in math, physics and computer science. C++ is the language of choice. Nothing can touch it for execution speed. Learn it. Java is a joke. But that might change over time.

Another thing, game development is not fun and games. The deadlines are murder. The hours are long. And there is no job security. It's a tough industry.
Hmm, good-looking AND intelligent
Do you have experiece from game development, or are you just making it up?
Papapishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2002, 09:07 PM   #12
asnstyle

I like to thank Sapphire Nights for the imformation above, and to answer the question requested by papapishu from the following. I do have quite a bit of experence in the contrary of computer programming. I do the following: Ti - 83 Basic, Java, Html, Visual basic, visual C++, Java, vbscript, maxscript, actionscript. And for the need know basics I am also improving my skills in the current photo programs: Maya, Photoshop, and 3d studio max.

I like to thank everyone who spoke their minds in this fourm.
And please if you are or know anyone who does game development please give this forum address and answer the questions above.

If you have any question on any of the programs I use and need help, I'm sure I'll do my best to help you or get you some one who will.

Thank You, Asnstyle
Old 12th Feb 2002, 09:10 PM   #13
LordKhaine
I sing the body electric...

Im still waiting to see SN's long awaited UT mod

All your hidden faces, Your seven veils unfold. Give me forbidden places, All your tales untold.
Give me ever and always, Ever and always, Body and soul
LordKhaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2002, 09:12 PM   #14
asnstyle

Hey papapishu,
By the way I love the monkey.
Old 12th Feb 2002, 09:14 PM   #15
Sapphire Nights
BANNED

Anytime Josh
Sapphire Nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2002, 09:15 PM   #16
Sapphire Nights
BANNED

I swear, some of you guys are so rude, intolorant and heartless. He is just asking some harmless questions.
Sapphire Nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2002, 09:19 PM   #17
purice
coon dog

don't forget insensitive, selfish and conceited :p
purice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2002, 09:19 PM   #18
LordKhaine

Jeez, I swear everytime I mention SN she springs out of no-where and replies in the thread. How else is a guy meant to spread rumours around the forums?

All your hidden faces, Your seven veils unfold. Give me forbidden places, All your tales untold.
Old 12th Feb 2002, 09:21 PM   #19
purice
coon dog

DavidM has that sixth sense too
purice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2002, 09:24 PM   #20
LordKhaine

Hah, yeah he does. He must do a forum search everyday for "DavidM" and "arrogant" to see whos been bad mouthing him lately

If DavidM does see this, purice made me do it!