Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > General Infiltration Discussion

Old 1st Feb 2002, 12:02 PM   #1
ShadowWraith

Exclamation 2.86 ReInstall Craziness - ideas?

Hey all -

I had a funky situation happen last night. For some reason, my infiltration was locking up at the initial screen (not the splash screen but where you choose which map etc). I tried running UT, and it worked fine... So I figured it had to be one of the INF files got corrupted. SOOOOOooooo, I replaced all the INF files (just overwrote them). Still no luck.

"Damnit, have to reinstall..."

So I blew it away, uninstalling everything, including UT. Reinstalled UT, the 4.36 update, & INF 2.86 fine. Then I went to install mappack1 (which was a umod) and look at that!! The .umod extension is not associated with a program to open it. I thought oh well, I'll d/l the manual install files later. So I decided to try and run INF with just the "shooting range" map.... I get the screen when you first run UT to choose a video device, and pick D3D, then it tells me I have an ATI Xpert98 video card. WTF?? I have a Hercules 3D Prophet SE (Nvidia GeForce 256)... So I exit and try UT.... UT tells me my only option is software rendering, and my video card is unknown!

What in the world caused this? I eventually got it to work by restoring the day before's registry (through DOS, <C:\>scanreg /restore ). It had to be something corrupt in the registry I imagine, but on a fresh install?? I never even got any errors while installing.

Anyhow, just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this or similar problems and knew what caused it.

Thanks,
-SW

Last edited by ShadowWraith; 1st Feb 2002 at 12:10 PM.
ShadowWraith is offline   Reply With Quote