Client-side demos will never work.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

i_hax

member since Jan07... didn't survive
Jan 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
movies and demos are some of the best fan publicity games get...

Thats a really good point. FYI I have a few friends who started playing (2k4) only after seeing a few good frag movies... also on that note, they won't touch UT3.

I was REALLY hoping to actually be able to demorec in the upcoming patch. Not supporting it at all is (truly) an epic failure.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Yeah I also know a few peeps who saw some good UT 2004 frag movies and took up playing the game itself because of them.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
Out of curiosity, why are people saying that client side demo recording didn't work in UT 2004? It always worked for me. Maybe the replays were a bit buggy every so often but I had gigs of auto demo recordings which worked fine (and where almost equal to server side demos with the help of Rypel Cam). Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick here, somehow?

No dub you're not - epic's fail continues to amaze :eek:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I said it never worked properly, and it didn't. There were lots of little bugs with it.

As said in this thread, Client Side demorec exists, but it's just not supported.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I said it never worked properly, and it didn't. There were lots of little bugs with it.

As said in this thread, Client Side demorec exists, but it's just not supported.
Well they worked to the point that they were viewable in UT - 2004 as a game play demo. But this is just pathetic. :)

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
Please define the difference between 'exists' and 'supported', because atm you're discussion with terms that can be very stretched up by definition.

The difference lies in the possibility [or lack of] of.....complaining.

Well, in this way somebody might say that Epic forum exists, but it's not supported :D

suibhne

Feb 17, 2005

dub asked you to support your contention that clientsides in 2k4 were thoroughly buggy. Your response is a non-response; you've essentially declined to support your contention other than to insist "I'm right".

I probably watched a few hundred hours of demorecs in UT2k4. In all that time, the only problem I encountered was that shuttling forward via the GUI (the demoviewing buttons) would hang the demo. The arrow keys always worked perfectly fine, however, so that bug was easy to work around.

The fact remains that ("lots of little bugs" aside :lol: ) UT2k4's clientside demos were perfectly adequate for personal improvement, community sharing, moviemaking, and anti-cheat purposes. UT3's clientside demos are inadequate for each of these purposes. I'm impressed that Epic has found yet another way to distinguish UT3 from every other AAA multiplayer game on the market.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Please define the difference between 'exists' and 'supported', because atm you're discussion with terms that can be very stretched up by definition.
Just means you can type "demorec" and it will "work".
dub asked you to support your contention that clientsides in 2k4 were thoroughly buggy. Your response is a non-response; you've essentially declined to support your contention other than to insist "I'm right".

I probably watched a few hundred hours of demorecs in UT2k4. In all that time, the only problem I encountered was that shuttling forward via the GUI (the demoviewing buttons) would hang the demo. The arrow keys always worked perfectly fine, however, so that bug was easy to work around.

The fact remains that ("lots of little bugs" aside :lol: ) UT2k4's clientside demos were perfectly adequate for personal improvement, community sharing, moviemaking, and anti-cheat purposes. UT3's clientside demos are inadequate for each of these purposes. I'm impressed that Epic has found yet another way to distinguish UT3 from every other AAA multiplayer game on the market.
I never contended that UT2004's system was bad or that the bugs interfered with it's usefulness.

But it DID have lots of issues, things like the lack of ability to rewind, to set camera tweens like RypelCam eventually included, the ability to see partially occluded activity, seeing certain weapons on yourself and on enemies, weapon fire sometimes not showing properly or at all, seeing who is carrying the flag. Yes, none of those certainly break client side demos, but they are all issues that "should have been fixed".

The current state of client side demorec simply reminds me of UT2003 (which, iirc, didn't have supported demorec from launch either).

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
*eh* you don't have support for *client-side* demos.
So server-side demos should still work.
And if all fails there's always stuff like fraps or recording straight to VCR, isn't there ?

(I still wonder why it's primary command is "demo-wreck" ... ;))

J3FF

teH SEXiest man alive!
Jan 23, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
www.nimbleminds.eu
server side only is teH ****.....u need an admin on the server for instance, ss demorecording decreases the server's performance (could eventually cause lags / higher pings), and just because someone has adminlogin passwords it doesn't mean that guy also has ftp-access, too.

so for my client side recording is essential for a competetive fps game....