Diablo III

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
You're going to have to elaborate on what you mean here. The only linear part about the game is progression of the story quests. Everything in-between is randomized every time you start a game, including dungeon layouts, enemy spawns, random events, etc.

It is? It's not what I read. But hey, I guess this applies to what I've been reading.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
I haven't got the game yet, but my buddy gave me the Act I trial, and man I've been having fun. Playing a Witch Doctor.

I probably won't have the dough to buy the game for a while, so I was going to replay the trial through with every class, see which ones I like the best. So far, the Witch Doctor is pretty sweet, but I think I'll play a Barbarian next.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
i-WL6XWj5-X2.jpg

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I'm now into the 3rd act. I'm really starting to see why it took them so long to make the game. Every step they find a way to keep it interesting. From the numerous environment pallets, different types of enemies, side quests, and even down to the voice acting. There's just a ton of content in this game. It looks like it's going to take me 40 hours to beat it on normal. If I do it on all the difficulty levels that's a good 120 hours.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Apparently I've already played this game for over 36 hours on a single character. Beat Normal, immediately started on Nightmare, and now the really satisfying game of Diablo comes to the surface where tinkering with armor and stats and especially resistances becomes important.

I kinda wish there were more bossfights like the final one in Act 2, because that was just immensely impressive, but on the whole this is a really great game. Am loving the coop balance on drop-in and drop-out as well (except when you're solo-ing a heroic enemy and suddenly it becomes 3 times as powerful because 2 people jump in), and the step up from Normal to Nightmare feels just right.

On top of things the auction house is a lot of fun. Put some rare items up there at a competitive price, and try and get a bargain for some cool stuff to give to your characters, it's pretty great. This game is going to suck all my spare time away for a while.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Spoilers

In a lot of ways, this game is like Diablo II, in terms of how you progress.

So, obviously, act i and ii take place in the same areas in Diablo II. Belial is stupidly hard, probably the hardest boss fight in the game, same as Duriel back in D2. You travel to act iii by speaking to Tyrael. Azmodan is stupidly easy, just like Mephisto. You travel to act iv by following Diablo through a red portal, just like D2.

I thought these similarities were funny.

Anyhow, I've had fun with the game, been playing Demon Hunter. I soloed everything, didn't use mercenaries. Diablo was a little easy in my opinion, Belial was without a doubt the hardest and also most fun boss. The act progression in iii and iv was a little fast, almost too fast for my taste. I did both of them in one sitting, simply because there wasn't any downtime ever, you could just keep on going and going.

Overall, the game isn't particularly better than Diablo II. I'd say it is slightly better in some areas, for example items, skills and monsters, but the story is lacking and the graphics are a little disappointing at times. You never really got that feeling of belonging like you did in Diablo II. The Diablo II towns had a lot more spirit, is what I'm saying I guess.

Buy the game if you liked Diablo II. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
So no spoilers on those comments? No? Okay then.

I had a totally different experience. Belial was easy for me, Diablo was HARD. Actually, Diablo was okay hard. It was fucking Izual who really got me a bunch of times. Azmodan was still a joke though.

Also this auction house (not the real money one) is a very nice source of income and you can get good gear at low rates if you look.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
So no spoilers on those comments? No? Okay then.

I had a totally different experience. Belial was easy for me, Diablo was HARD. Actually, Diablo was okay hard. It was ****ing Izual who really got me a bunch of times. Azmodan was still a joke though.

Also this auction house (not the real money one) is a very nice source of income and you can get good gear at low rates if you look.

I wrote spoiler in the title. The spoilers aren't really that huge, so I figured it didn't matter.

But yeah, Izual was really hard too. The trick is to not touch him. I set up a slowing spec, and I could easily keep my distance, allowing me to kill him quite easily. Obviously, Izual was also present in act iv of Diablo II, and in the same vein, you really didn't want to be in melee range of him.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/18/how-diablo-iiis-solo-experience-reveals-a-hollow-game/

Maybe it gets better in Act 3? But this sure makes it sound like they didn't make all the right decisions. Guess I won't know for a while as it's going to be some time before this goes under $60.

It does get a lot better in Act 3, imo. Act2 was probably my least favourite, it does have some cool areas and dungeons though.

About the article itself, the guy has clearly not played enough of the game yet. Three things stood out to me.

Online-only, sure, whatever. People had issues, most of it is fixed now.

I agree the skill selection window could be better, the fact that you have to scroll through multiple pages with elective mode on is a pain. Everything on one screen would be nicer. The skills themselves are perfectly fine and all have their uses.

He complains about difficulty but has only got to the starting zone of Act 2... on normal difficulty. True, maybe the game could have been harder from the get-go, but not everyone is good at videogames. Loot and drops get better the further you go into the game too.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
I hate it when people review a game after only playing partway through. Really irksome.

^ This. Fuck.

Diablo 3 is definitely fun. I finished a normal mode run earlier and kicked right into a Nightmare run before going for a nap. It was a fun romp. I managed to get all the way up to Belial without dying. Then I died three times in a row before murdering him. I just wasn't paying enough attention to stuff on the ground, and once I realized I needed to do that, I was fine. Then I got to Act III and died like a dozen times to those motherfuckers with the tentacle arms that pop out of the ground. Holy shit, those guys are assholes. I would go from full health to no health in less than a second. I redid a bunch of my gear since I had sort of neglected most of it to that point, got a bunch more Vitality on it and tripled my health pool. No more deaths without doing really stupid things. Now I'm back in Tristram punching evil in the face all over again. Monk is a fucking great character, not just his skills and stuff, I just like the dude.

Anyway, hit me up, I'm Fartmancer#1899. Let's punch demons together.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I hate it when people review a game after only playing partway through. Really irksome.

It's not a review, it is notes on the game thus far, and are people's opinions on the first two acts of a game somehow less valid? On that same note: I really hate it when publishers refuse to let their game be played in time for a day one review.