Borderlands PC DLC Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Gearbox has finally released "The Island of Dr. Ned" DLC for the PC version of the game. For those with DVD copies, you can pick up the DLC at the Gearbox store. If you have a Steam copy of the game, the Steam version is available through their store. You will want to note before you buy, though, that Gearbox has seen fit to infect both versions with SecuROM that is limited to 5 installations. That may affect your decision to buy (as it did mine).

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
More importantly, what was in the patch that Steam downloaded for Bonerlands earlier today? Steam is so ridiculously slow at updating the "view update news" page. D:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Yeah I'm pretty bummed about the SecuROM thing as well. I haven't decided if it's going to block me from buying this permanently but I'm definitely going to wait a few days to see how Gearbox and 2K respond to the nerdrage. This is one of the few time fan outrage seems justified. Steam is DRM in its own right. There's no need for SecuROM on the Steam version. Plain retail CD version makes sense, but Steam no. I'm hoping this was just an oversight by someone clueless at 2K.

More importantly, what was in the patch that Steam downloaded for Bonerlands earlier today? Steam is so ridiculously slow at updating the "view update news" page. D:

My understanding is that it was just hooks for the DLC. Retail version has to manually download a patch as well....

*Opens up the retail patch file and pokes around the .cab*

It's basically the localization strings for the DLC. No map data or anything else. I don't see any DLL files or anything that would suggest SecuROM sneaking in.

*Checks Borderlands Steam directory*

Odd not seeing any of the patch files in here. Weird. Could've been a patch to point DLC submenu inside Steam for the Borderlands entry to the right location? I know they put a DLC tab on the game weeks ago but the links didn't go anywhere.

EDIT: Oh wait. Steam hadn't updated my copy yet. Ok. It's updating and I see the localization files for the DLC now.

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Yeah it's analogous to the patch listed on their support site for the DLC: https://store.gearboxsoftware.com/support/

Namely this file: http://updates.gearboxsoftware.com/dlc/Borderlands_Worldwide_Update_PC1.1.0.zip

The ini file in that directory from the Steam forums post definitely references SecuROM though :( I'm hoping it doesn't install it until the DLC is installed (as it prompts for a license key according to the posts).

EDIT: I'm guessing the retail patch doesn't contain any of the SecuROM stuff since that's already installed via the normal game installation?

EDIT EDIT: There's also this post on NeoGAF: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=190244 Which confirms what I found and notes the presence of SecuROM on some level in the game's .exe file.

*crosses fingers* Pretty please let it just be someone being stupid. I really like this game and want to support it but this just reeks of ineptitude either at Gearbox or 2K. AFAIK, Valve just takes whatever the developer or publisher give them and blast it out without any questioning. I'm just sitting here hoping that someone sent the wrong build out.

EDIT x3: Brizz, is you qualm the existence of SecuROM in general, or is it because they're unnecessarily applying it to DLC (and possibly retroactively applying it to the main game)? I don't see any griping about SecuROM in the Arkham Asylum review and the Steam version of that also contains the DRM. Just confused on your stance here.

EDIT x4: So in the retail patch there's ShippingPCWillowGame.exe. My guess is that this is the SecuROM retail version of the game executable and was probably accidentally pushed out via the Steam auto-update. Or something like that, since I am noticing about a 4 MB discrepancy in file size between what is in the 1.10 retail patch and what is currently in my Steam directory.

Again, ineptitude not malicousness at work here I feel. But we'll see how this pans out.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
EDIT x3: Brizz, is you qualm the existence of SecuROM in general, or is it because they're unnecessarily applying it to DLC (and possibly retroactively applying it to the main game)? I don't see any griping about SecuROM in the Arkham Asylum review and the Steam version of that also contains the DRM. Just confused on your stance here.

I won't speak for Brizz, but the activation limit concerns me more than SecuROM, though I'm less than crazy about it being added via DLC. I didn't mention it in the BAA review because it served only as a disc-check.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I'll wait or pass until securROM is gone. Sorry, I just don't support that type of crap on a Steam version of a game I purchased.

I woulden't support it on any version (disc check is one thing, but limited activations are a no go!), but aye, having it on a Steam version is just a double burn, and for what possible reason?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't really care about SecuROM. I understand they want to protect it and other Steam games have SecuROM.

My main issues are that:

1) The install limit is added through DLC. So you can install the game infinitely, but you can't install the DLC infinitely. If the main game had an install limit and the DLC did not, I would feel differently. This hurts even more because of the way DLC works on Steam. You essentially have a five install limit on your game now.

2) I already don't like to pay for "DLC", but adding draconian DRM on something that I already don't feel like I need to have makes me not want to buy it even more.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I don't really care about SecuROM. I understand they want to protect it and other Steam games have SecuROM.

My main issues are that

I completely agree with your points. I was just curious to see what you thought since I think this is the first time I've seen mention of SecuROM being a warning sign in a news update here.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and I'm going to wait a few days to see how they plan to resolve this since there is a good amount of anger being directed at them on their forums and the Steam forums.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
On a side note, I WAS slightly annoyed at the Batman DRM simply because they put DRM on the digital versions while nothing on the actual discs.