New Epic Game In The Works

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
So it turns out that a new Unreal Tournament game isn't underway, but Epic Games is working on a "competitive online action game". Thanks to Selerox, Blue's and CVG for pointing out this job posting:

Epic Games is looking for a Systems Designers to join one of two projects. One of the teams is working on an unannounced competitive online action game that includes player progression, heavy itemization, and a dynamic economy; the other is for Fortnite. In either of these roles you'll be working on the biggest most important systems and will have a hand in designing everything from economics and itemization to balancing combat mechanics. You'll be responsible for general design, balance, rules, interface, etc. and will play an integral role in defining the outcome of the project.

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
Is this mystery game associated with these free to play games using pay perks to advance faster? Or is just ingame economies? There are already lots of these kinds of game around, Digital Extremes is working on Warframe a curious rework of the original Dark Sector concept with an armor and weapon upgrade system.
Remember Unreal had an upgradeable weapon, that was the Dispersion Pistol.

Is Fortnite Ue4?

Anyways, EPIC may keep things under wraps we may never know whats under their hat till its near ready to release, it just when the new PC tech hits and the UE4 is tech ready they should have a game ready to go and it better be a real killer game that puts the engine and tech to its fullest. And Unreal editor to go with it.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Good luck...

There is not such affirmation, trollmonkey

Very probably. But I wouldn't put a lot of money on there being a UT game at any point in the foreseeable future.

Epic killed off UT pretty comprehensively which alienated their PC fanbase, they've now lost of awful lot of talent, they have stiff competition in the engine front and like id software they've been unable to produce games which push boundaries in terms of gameplay. They simply don't have the same influence they used to have and it shows.

It's not 2004 any more. They aren't the big fish they think they are.

Look at Valve as an example of the opposite. They didn't whore their engine out to anyone and everyone at the expense of games design. In the last ten years they've produced Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead, L4D2 and DOTA2. Game after game after game that has pushed boundaries and firmly embedded themselves firmly in gaming history.

What's Epic done in the same time? UT2004, itself a patch-job on the woeful UT2003. Gears, that for all it's shiny visuals was pretty uninspiring and unoriginal. What about UT3? An utter failure of a game that's best left buried. What about BUlletstorm? Will anyone even remember it in 5 years time?

Epic have spent a decade making forgettable games, and now it's starting to catch up with them.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
I think their engine business is profitable enough to not worry about making next blockbuster in order to survive. Gears & UE has generated them lot of income.

and how much will it suck?
Now that is the question.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Gears, that for all it's shiny visuals was pretty uninspiring and unoriginal.
I'll disagree with you on that. While different elements existed before, their combination was quite original and well-thought enough that after Gears every other TPS used similar implementation of various features like cover. Fighting off monsters wave after wave also wasn't anything new, yet after Gears 2 the amount of games where similar mode was present increased by a lot, because Horde mode was very well done.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I've moved on a hell of a lot since the UT days and I've become less and less interested in the first person shooter/arena genre for a long time now.
It used to be fun but those games were games for the time and my tastes have changed quite significantly - I've become very selective in what I buy and what I play nowadays.
I have only purchased two games in the last 18 months - that's how uninterested in what I see out there at the moment.
As far as Epic goes, financially, I think they'll be OK for the immediate future but Tencent owning a massive chunk in Epic, anything could happen.

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
Epic Games is looking for a Systems Designers to join one of two projects. One of the teams is working on an unannounced competitive online action game that includes player progression, heavy itemization, and a dynamic economy; the other is for Fortnite. In either of these roles you'll be working on the biggest most important systems and will have a hand in designing everything from economics and itemization to balancing combat mechanics. You'll be responsible for general design, balance, rules, interface, etc. and will play an integral role in defining the outcome of the project.

Oh joy. Just what I've always wanted in a competitive, balanced action game: heavy itemization and a dynamic economy. The best way to be balanced is to sell advantages, right?