Bioshock Infinite

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Quick tip for anyone using the graphics preset and can't quite run ultra, switch to custom instead of using the presets and pay attention to these two settings:

Dynamic Shadows. Use low-high. Low-high is adjusting shadow resolution. Very high and Ultra seem to be the same as High except they enable soft shadows and some self-shadowing on people/buildings. Literally cuts your FPS in half for tiny improvement. I go from 28 to 70 fps by disabling the soft shadows.

Ambient Occlusion. Use off or low. Low-high uses SSAO and steps up the strength, very high and ultra seems to use HBAO? The visual gain is minimal for the 10-20fps loss from HBAO.

With the exception of those two settings, I'm running the game on Ultra with my GTX 470 but getting literally 3x the performance I was getting when using the Ultra preset. If you want to know what you'll be missing by turning off these settings you can easily google "soft shadows" and "ambient occlusion" or simply pay attention to the background when adjusting them from the main menu. I'll post screenshots if somebody is still confused/wants me to.

Last edited:

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
fovh.png

I give up.

It's unreal engine. Custom FOV is only one line of ini editing away. Google it.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Apparently they're working on it: http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/27/41...f-view-bug-being-targeted-by-irrational-games

Until then
Increase FOV Range:

Bioshock Infinite’s FOV slider currently only offers a 15 degree range. A fix is incoming, which should offer a much increased display, but you can get the same results by tweaking a value in the config folder’s XUserOptions.ini.

Locate the line: MaxUserFOVOffsetPercent=15.000000, and change the value to 100. Alternatively, if you want an FOV setting of 90, set the value at 28.5 and increase the in-game slider to its maximum.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I know there are ways to change fov, but I'm tired of this sh#t. Launching game and the first thing to do is alt+tabbing and going to look Internet for fixes for the next 10 minutes, I'm tired of this. I hit "exit" instead.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
There sure is a lot of bitching in this thread about 'issues' that aren't even real issues. When did FOV sliders become so important? I can't recall ever using one, I guess I'm just used to changing that stuff in an .ini file like I've been doing for the past 15 years. That has always been the 'price' of PC gaming and I have no qualms with it. It's a nice touch when developers include stuff like that in the UI, but it has never and will never be a deal-breaker for me.

Bioshock Infinite is a very fun game (with some dated concepts, to be fair) and I think it's worth the money. I'm probably not even halfway through and I already think that. Aren't you guys always bitching (I have too, being fair) about studios dumping half-finished crap on us and expecting us to pay full retail for it? Aren't you guys always bitching (again, me too) about studios asking us to pay another $10 for 'day-one' shit that should have shipped with the game to begin with?

It's obvious that 2K worked hard on this game and they wanted to give us something that is actually worth paying for. That's enough for me. When did that stop being enough for the rest of you?

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
LOL. I'm glad they are addressing the FOV thing even though it's not much of an issue. I'd much rather they fix the mouse sensitivity. I'm about 6 hours in and the experience overall is just unbelievably good. The game looks freaking nice, there are awesome vistas almost everywhere. There are a couple of annoyances but this is probably the best overall game I've played perhaps since the original Bioshock. There have been other great games, don't get me wrong, but this just knocks it out of the park.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Do the quicktime decisions have any affect on the outcome of the game? Like the baseball part for instance, I tried both decisions, and nothing different happened. :con: Kind of confused why they give you a choice but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Minor spoiler:

Was that scene a nod to Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery"?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Hmm, can you enjoy this game if you happened to hate Bioshock 1? Or let me ask differently, what is it exactly that you like about Infinite, what are the great moments, what's so kickass that makes you say, wow, holy molly.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Hmm, can you enjoy this game if you happened to hate Bioshock 1?

Maybe, but probably not. If you weren't crazy about the first Bioshock game I doubt you'll be crazy about this one. The setting is completely different (the exact opposite, actually) than in Bioshock, and the combat system has been updated a little since the first one, but otherwise it's a very similar game.

Or let me ask differently, what is it exactly that you like about Infinite, what are the great moments, what's so kickass that makes you say, wow, holy molly.

Ranged combat is just plain fun, although the weapons don't pack as much punch as you'd expect after playing games like CoD. The ranged combat system feels more like Borderlands to me; for example, a heatshot is usually a 'critical' instead of a one-hit-kill device.

Using the Skyhook to melee and to traverse Skyrails/Cargo Hooks is all awesome and fun. Some of the Vigors (which were called Plasmids in Bioshock) do odd (but useful) things like spawning crows that attack all the enemies around you, and these are quite interesting to watch the first few times. There are some interactive cutscenes in the game that are "holy shit" moments, I don't want to go any further with this because to do so would spoil the game.

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Just finished it up, very impressive feat I would say. Story itself already has so many elements and references that I'm afraid majority of players will miss lot of its details unless they pay really close attention.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I got to play the game for a few hours. All I can think of is how obnoxiously shitty DarkED's screenshot example is as far as graphics are concerned. Gameplay wise, not enough at hand so far.