Server Requirements

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ignato

TBuildT Mapping Team
Apr 20, 2000
Toronto, Canada
I've finished reading the section on how to start your own server...and I was just wondering how fast your computer should be to be a server? I currently got a new machine, but I'm not sure if it could handle being a server or how many people that it could hold to be optimal. Also, how long should a person leave on a server? Would half a day be good enough? Maybe a time period such as 1pm-6pm etc.?

shan

www.clanterritory.com
Jan 29, 2000
Portland, OR
www.clanterritory.com
In my experience, the most important thing is RAM. I was able to support 16 players on a dedicated server with 64MB of RAM on an NT 4.0 box.

I would reccomend at least a Pentium II class server with 128MB of RAM, however. Our server is a Dual Pentium Pro 200 with 384MB RAM.

As far as how long to leave the server on, it depends on what you are after for usage. If it is not on all of the time, you will not get as many repeat users. If you are just looking for people to join and play with, however, just start it when you feel like it. If it has a good ping, people will play. There are not that many servers our there right now.

Keep in mind, however, that the largest blocking factor to a server is bandwidth. If you want 10 players for example, I reccomend you have at least 300Kbps of upstream bandwidth and 300Kbps of downstream bandwidth.

Hope this helps,

Shan

------------------
Download the maps, mods and skins then come play with us!

Visit us at www.sgservers.com and stop by our voice or text Forums.