Install Problems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fortran

Despite the name, I can't code.
Jan 19, 2002
At my computer
Visit site
My friend is having trouble installing UT. He isn't registered here, so I will post on his behalf.

He can get the autoplay screen to come up and can choose the install method and directory. Everything is fine until he clicks the "Install" button. Then nothing happens. After a few minutes, he opened the Ctrl+Alt+Del "Close Program" box and UT was listed as "Not Responding". This happens every time he tries to install. It is not the CD, as it works fine in another computer he has access to. He has run enery program that he thought could help (defragmenter, scandisk, etc.) and they didn't help anything. I really don't know the specs of his computer, other than he has Windows ME. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Try to disable DMA for the CD-Rom. It might help.
Otherwise he can copy the CD to his HD and install from there.

Fortran

Despite the name, I can't code.
Jan 19, 2002
At my computer
Visit site
Originally posted by Swedix
Try to disable DMA for the CD-Rom. It might help.
Otherwise he can copy the CD to his HD and install from there.

I was wondering about the copy method. Could you tell me if the following sequence is correct?

1) copy the files to a temporary folder
2) run setup.exe
3) when it asks for the CD during install, point it to the folder instead

Once that is done, would my friend need to edit the default.ini file CdPath entry to point ot the CD instead of the copy-to folder (so he can delete the huge folder)? Of course, once I downloaded the 436 patch, UT doesn't even need the CD anymore, so maybe this would be better?

Thanks for the help.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
You are pretty much correct. I think you can just copy the entire CD though, not all the individual files and folders. (Right-Click/Copy I believe).

Once installed, the CD might still work for the Copy Protection key.
Otherwise, as you said, install 4.36. No sense in keeping two copies of every file on your hard drive.