AGP card causes computer to not boot?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
I recently got myself a new desktop box to tide me over until I get some better stuff. It's not great, Celeron-D, 512mb RAM, and no graphics card. I got an old GeForce FX 5200 AGP graphics card to make it at least usable in the mean time. Trouble is, inserting the card causes the computer to not boot or post. The fans seem to spin up, but there's no life after that. I swapped out the PSU for a 450w one I had, so the card has more than enough power, but still no joy. I can't see any options in the BIOS for disabling the onboard graphics, either. The card was recently gotten off of eBay from a reputable seller who said it was working.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
1) You are going to have to test it in another PC.
Check to see if there is any history of your mix of MoBo/chipset and that or all nVidia cards misbehaving.

2) Boot with the card in, but plug the monitor to the onboard to see if it is stopping everything.

3) If there is no option to disable the onboard GFX, check if it has a priority option.

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
Okay, that graphics card was meant to tie me over until I got a proper new computer, but I got one earlier than expected, so it's all sorted now. Thanks for the help anyway though. :)