Xbox360 problem (disc drive) ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
All of a sudden discs won't autoplay in the disc drive anymore. Do you have to be logged on or logged in on the internet through your Xbox for game discs in the drive to autoplay? If not, then we could have a problem. If so, then we might have to work on the wireless connection first. Otherwise, tried blowing inside disc drive (with air and canned-air) to clean laser and still didn't work. This thing is way out of warranty, so the only solution seems to be to try and fix the distance between the laser and disc by taking it apart. Apparently, there is a defect in the Xbox360 where this distance becomes greater over time until the discs can't be read anymore. Does this seem to be my problem? This is my son's Xbox360 given to him by my brother several months ago. Thanks for any help.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I haven't used the 360 interface in a while but, does it work just fine when you push "Play game" or whatever? Back when I still had my Xbox, there was a setting to choose to autoplay inserted discs or to remain at the OS until you choose to manually start the game.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
You don't have to be logged into Live to use this feature. First check if it is enabled at all.
Go to System Settings > Console Settings > Auto-Play and select Enable.

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
I didn't even know the XBox 360 could auto-play games! Though if I did know, then I would probably have disabled it.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
You don't have to be logged into Live to use this feature. First check if it is enabled at all.
Go to System Settings > Console Settings > Auto-Play and select Enable.

this guy is correct, every now and then a dashboard update will change some settings like recently they enabled sleep mode/timer on every console.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Auto-play is enabled, so it should work and has been working until a week or two ago. This might have been the same time my brother's Live account expired, so that's why I was wondering. My brother is supposed to call me today or tomorrow and try some other things first before I tear it apart. Also, I will try disabling auto-play and manually starting games and see if that works. If not, then I guess I will have to operate per:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6283615_fix-360-won_t-read-disc.html

..or some of the youtube videos I saw. Just checking with you guys to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thank you.:)

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I can't remember if Auto-Play was an account option or a system-wide option. Try turning auto sign-in on for your account as well. See if that works. If not, as you said, check to make sure the Xbox can actually read the disc.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I'll try finding the wifi extender thing and plug it in and see what happens. Then I'll mess with those couple settings. If none of that works, then it's pop goes the weasel.;)

Raynor.Z

Feb 1, 2006
Auto-Play is not dependent if you're signed into Live or have Gold subscribtion. It is part of standard system functionality (firmware).

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
when you say autoplay do you mean inserting a game cd and the game loads immediately or do you mean starting a game wont work?

If your console suffers from the red ring of death(meaning the motherboard overheating and bending so that the graphics card pops out of the mobo) you should experience fragments on the screen and lockups similar to a computer where the gfx card goes dead.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Yes, the game is supposed to load immediately and it won't. It happened in the past and now just two quick whirrs from the drive and then nothing. I can't find the wifi extender thing anywhere in the house, but I still believe the game is supposed to start automatically even though no internet.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Well, they sell plenty of 360 drives on ebay if you prefer to save some money and do the labor. Just make sure you get the right one.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I am going to try and fix it myself without buying one on ebay. I just want to make sure it definitely is NOT the internet connection before I pry the thing open. Can someone confirm that it's toast and doesn't need a connection? In the meantime, I'll get someone to try a movie in it.

Raynor.Z

Feb 1, 2006
Autoplay does not need Live gold subscription, I can confirm it first hand. Also just buying new DVD drive off eBay does not work. Every DVD drive has unique security key that is tied to that specific Xbox 360 motherboard. Unless you're replacing drive's PCB or spoof firmware it will not recognize discs afterwards. Just for info :)

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Also just buying new DVD drive off eBay does not work. Every DVD drive has unique security key that is tied to that specific Xbox 360 motherboard.
That is ridiculously shitty.