Your suggestions for the new Unreal Tournament

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
Alright guys, off we go. This may not be the official channel, but there's no harm in letting others know what you think the next UT should be like. And since Flak is around again, maybe Epic will also consider our suggestions.

Alright, so... Player movement? Weapons? Gametypes? Map remakes? Visual style? Discuss!

edit:
We will be opening a new UT forum on the index and I have already heard from Epic that they will read suggestions from there as well.

Damn, too soon... Brizz, would you kindly delete this thread?

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Holding shift enables sprint, you can only carry 3 different weapons at the same time (one melee, one light, one heavy), remove dodging, remove power-ups, remove CTF, only ONS and TDM now.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
I will move this thread later.

But if we're gonna have a whole new section wouldn't it be better having seperate threads for stuff like player movement and gametypes? I think so.

Holding shift enables sprint, you can only carry 3 different weapons at the same time (one melee, one light, one heavy), remove dodging, remove power-ups, remove CTF, only ONS and TDM now.

Auto-aiming, QTEs, a single player love story told through multiplayer maps, killstreaks and 3rd person view would also be nice.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Don't worry about "what to include" but instead build it from the ground up with modifying in mind. I'd be perfectly happy with a clearly coded, simple deathmatch game that is modular and very easy to adjust. You'll never please everyone unless they can all make the game be the way they want to play it.

PCube's Unreal coop controller is a really good template to follow. He built security, options, solid gameplay, and a whole lot more into a mod that was well coded, modular, and had a ton of written explanation. It required little on my part to tear it apart and make it do what I wanted on my coop server. To me, that's the ideal situation with this.

Unreal Tournament (God, that's fun to type!) will never be a polished, release-level mega game so we ought to set our sights on the best (and usable) package of modifiable coding we can get.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Don't worry about "what to include" but instead build it from the ground up with modifying in mind. I'd be perfectly happy with a clearly coded, simple deathmatch game that is modular and very easy to adjust. You'll never please everyone unless they can all make the game be the way they want to play it.

I'm with you. Why add rocket science to this mix when it is not necessary? Could we not simply add in a UT2 movement style mutator, as an example, and the mappers can adjust scaling to compensate for the change?

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Suggestions for how the movement...

... For how the movement should be?

fkhT9iw.gif

My friend, you are progressing down a road that will only lead to insanity.

I'm with you. Why add rocket science to this mix when it is not necessary? Could we not simply add in a UT2 movement style mutator, as an example, and the mappers can adjust scaling to compensate for the change?
Because it will divide the community and the maps.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002

How about the character be adjusted in size to avoid mappers having to do that ? Alternative thinking.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
MAKE CONTENT ENGINE INDEPENDANT

Reasoning being that maps and characters could be easily ported to a new engine then.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
MAKE CONTENT ENGINE INDEPENDANT

Reasoning being that maps and characters could be easily ported to a new engine then.

This kind of isn't realistic. Content is built with the engine and it's requirements in mind. As an example, the rendering system in UE4 demands different textures to UE3 (and UE3 required different stuff to UE2).

TraCK

Amateur Sketch
Apr 14, 2005
Kansas City
Good gameplay is essential but there are other things this game needs to be successful!

First off let's give Epic a pat on the back for making this PC, Mac, Linux exclusive! At least we know we won't end up with a console port for freaking UNREAL TOURNAMENT this time!

Here are a few things I think the game NEEDS to have:
  1. Nearly flawless game play that is forgiving for noobs but still a skyhigh skill cap. I know that's a lot grouped in one point but there's that.
  2. An excellent server browser with all the filters and information a player could ever need.
  3. A matchmaking system that actually works, and works well. Maybe a rank system?
  4. Regular updates to keep people playing for years to come.
  5. Fan service: bring back all our favorite characters and maps (No Xan in UT3, wtf?)
  6. A story line that doesn't completely suck like in UT3, an interplanetary tournament of some kind would probably be best.
  7. All the things that make a PC game a PC game, give us all the console commands and customization options we could dream of.
  8. Cosmetic items that don't affect gameplay. Also a good roster of characters to choose from, but all should have the same sized hitbox and be easy to see, don't make it necessary to force models to the fattest one.
  9. Something fresh and new and not a gimmick that will revitilize the subgenre.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004

Don't you think 3 weapons is a bit, overwhelming?

2 Weapons max.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
kill streak's

and palyer customization like this game
perka.jpg

epic will have a winer.
'
also bing back hawkprey!!!! his the best concept artist's. see gear's of war and ut3. hawkprey is the man repsonsible for how those game's look's. if u look at the success of the xbox 360 u ow it all to hawk prey. hes designs are macross after visit's to macdonald's

as long as epic listen's to me it will be an epic win instead of an epic fail like ut99gotye unreal 2 unreal campionsip and ut2003

also after betas they shouldnt release any more version's because the beta's are the bset version's. they have the quadshot's and also the best skaarj's

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
This kind of isn't realistic. Content is built with the engine and it's requirements in mind. As an example, the rendering system in UE4 demands different textures to UE3 (and UE3 required different stuff to UE2).

Do you mean different texture sizes ? Why not at least make it easier to port content over ? Like have some master content with a texture originally in vector form that can be scaled up/down as needed for the engine and/or processing power of a machine ?

Last edited: