So...who wants to write Unreal Engine 4 games?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
What does one do if want to show the source code for peer-review, to provide rights for end-users and other advantages, yet get some protection from competitors from just copying and cloning without cost? What Unreal Engine 4 does, limited access to source.

Yes, which brings me to my original point - that this is nothing new. It's called 'shared source.' The idea has been around since the early 90's and Microsoft has employed it as part of their government security program since 2003 (because governments need to view the source of a product to verify that the product is secure and there are no corporate backdoors installed.)

Unity also uses a shared source model, to an extent. Users of the free edition of Unity do have limited access to the source by default, while pro users get full access. I am sure there are other engines out there (Source, perhaps?) that operate on a similar license.

My wet dream, but epic will never let us do that remake.
There is either copyright mess around it or they just were lying last time when they said they cannot due to some legal crap.

Fuck 'em. They can only legally stop you from using their trademarks and their assets. You can make a similar game using all-original assets and call it Unactual Competition ;)

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Project Nex seems to be a good arena shooter clone. Similar idea to Warsaw but made by UT fans instead of Quake fans. Too bad they're on Unity haha. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=236501088

I'm not looking for any serious "let's make millions of dollars" stuff. I just want to fool around. I dabbled in modding in the past, but now I have the programming skills to really do stuff. I just don't want to spend $20 a month going it alone. So if anyone starts something interesting let me know.

Last edited:

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
I'm not looking for any serious "let's make millions of dollars" stuff. I just want to fool around.

*Evil Voice*
Individuals can be pretty intelligent - the masses are dumb. Let's make games for the dumb masses. Very simple and addicting aka Tetris, Flappy Birds...and let them smartphone addicted Teenagers shower us with their parent's money. *evil laugh*

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I'm not looking for any serious "let's make millions of dollars" stuff. I just want to fool around. I dabbled in modding in the past, but now I have the programming skills to really do stuff. I just don't want to spend $20 a month going it alone. So if anyone starts something interesting let me know.

Unity is actually pretty good, and you can go to prototype a lot faster than you can in Unreal Engine.

If you guys are serious about making a UT clone, let me know. I can help us get a team together.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I'm not sure the world needs another UT clone (the game linked above already looks very similar!).

I'd rather see a new arena shooter with some decent new ideas / mechanics / structure.