Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Black Rain-8/10

This is an average, but not bad, cops and mobsters movie which is made better by the direction of Ridley Scott. From the days when he was still pouring in all his trademarks in lighting, camera and composition of frame this movie ends up with huge amounts of atmosphere that restates a lot of the thematic cinema that he innovated in Blade Runner.

I haven't seen this flick in many years but it was worth revisiting.

Batman Begins-8/10

Always worth re-watching; in my opinion. For me what has made Nolan's reboot of the franchise really work is the amount of depth he has written into all the characters.

Shakespeare in Love-7/10

Although his story is probably totally fictitious but based on Shakespeare's life and work and I'm not a huge fan of this type of costume drama it is a very entertaining film. I've seen it before and it stood up to re-watching. Great cast all around.

I Spy-6/10

Pretty funny but would have not worked at all without Eddy Murphy's style of comedy driving it.........

Staward

Lauda tuus animus
Jan 31, 2008
-23° 58' 3.15" -46° 20' 32.07"
Alien 1979 6/10
Skyline potato/10
Jumanji 7/10 I was a kid last time I watched it! One of my favorite villains back then:

a12c81324335383.jpg

Last edited:

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
Mr. Popper's Penguins (2011) (B-)
What a cute (but clueless) family movie. It doesn't seem to hold about Jim Carrey and the six penguins are holding the achievement all around.

Last edited:

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
Heathers (1989) (B+)
It's pretty funny though, sitting on the edge in this black comedy movie. Winona Ryder and Christian Slater are impressive actors after all. I wonder how these two will be making a sequel or not...

Soul Surfer (2011) (B)
Real true story about the professional surfer Bethany Hamilton who lost her right arm from a shark attack; but literally lost cause around the secret Christianity formula. Especially, I'm so impressed at AnnaSophia Robb's adorable acting perhaps. :)

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Chronicle-7.5/10

The trailer for this film doesn't leave much of the story untold but it was still a well told story.

Taking these powers out of the realm of superhero comics and putting them in the hands of everyday people is an attractive story. I'm sure everyone would like to get some of these powers.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
The Matrix Reloaded - 6/10
(some spoilers for the original Matrix below, but I'm avoiding them for the actual films)

There's a lot of arrogance in this film - an assumption that you're totally familiar with the first film, that you'll enjoy the ridiculously leaden and contemplative dialogue, that you're happy to sit through virtually endless high-tempo action, that you're following the film closely enough that you'll register huge narrative points delivered in brief or speedily delivered dialogue snippets.
With those failings, it can't possibly live up to the original. Not sure if it's the editing or the screenplay, but there's something seriously wrong when you spend about a third of the movie in an enormous but narratively rather throwaway action sequence, then don't show vital pieces of exposition near the end of the film.
Another major failing is the putative state of the CGI during the first big fight sequence. It involves compositing digital characters into a scene, but the CG Neo is so primitive that it makes the scene devolve into what looks very much like a computer game.

With all that out the way, there's also a lot to like here. I mentioned the enormous action scene which lasts around a third of the film, and while it's small potatoes as far as the narrative goes, the production is astonishing. It could be the most ambitious action sequence ever filmed - they actually built their own loop of highway specifically for the film. It keeps up a steady flow of imagination and threat, and despite the length, the vast majority of it is very thrilling (the most weary part is actually the beginning, involving a Neo fight which I'll get to later).
The world of The Matrix becomes far more fleshed out in these two sequels, and becomes a place the viewer inhabits and feels invested in. Part of that is down to the incredible production (which is just out of this world in Revolutions particularly), but also the dialogue, which despite being incredibly clunky and unrealistic, encourages you to think about the themes at play. It also allows you to get a hell of a lot more out of the films on repeat viewing.

Getting into the minutiae, as in the first film, the acting is a mixed bag: Keanu Reeves is the blank-faced exception to a stellar cast who reel off the outlandish dialogue without difficulty. For me, Carrie-Anne Moss is the highlight, in that she convinces so thoroughly that I have a hard time getting my head around the fact that in reality she's not madly in love with Reeves.
The music isn't as successful as the other films, or The Animatrix for that matter. The first film hinged mostly on existing music, club anthems from artists like Powerman 5000 and Moby, with a couple of strong original themes thrown in. Revolutions' original music has an epic quality that suits the film perfectly. Reloaded, however, has a pulsing techno beat of original music throughout the film, and to my ear it contributes to the bloated impression this film gives off.

The final major negative is action involving Neo. The first film established him as someone free of the contraints of the matrix, breaking all its rules and becoming an unbeatable hero. Despite establishing this, Reloaded insists on throwing villains at him who're magically on his level. We're left thinking, why doesn't he just delete them, as he did with at the end of the first film? If he can break all the rules, why are these opponents any kind of threat to him? Many of the action scenes fall flat based on this fundamental issue.

The Matrix Revolutions - 10/10

Reloaded and Revolutions are essentially two halves of one giant film, so it shares the strengths and weaknesses of the dialogue, the unsurpassed production and world creation (with no ropey CG this time around), and follows directly on from Reloaded with absolutely zero concessions to new viewers.
The wire-intensive kung fu and slowmotion gunplay which made the first film's action so iconic is at a minimum this time around - Revolutions is a very different beast. The vast majority of the film is set outside the matrix, focusing on the last human army battling an invasion of hundreds of thousands of machines. The vulnerability of humans in the 'real world' has been well established in previous films, lending to a massive sense of threat and desperation throughout the film. The main sequence set in the matrix is one of the hugely OTT action spectacles that you may be familiar with from far east exports like Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle.

Essentially, Revolutions is a climactic and intense war film, the sci-fi equivalent to Return Of The King. Whereas Reloaded's long action scenes seemed like an indulgence, Revolutions' epic battles keep you utterly rivetted, with people you care about on the line. And they really are on the line - nobody's life is untenable here, and there are sizeable emotional punches throughout the movie.
It's perfectly paced, perfectly created, in my opinion an absolute masterpiece. Like the previous films it's thought-intensive, and you won't get the full potential out of the story if you watch with your brain switched off, but it's easier to follow and enjoy than Reloaded if you don't want to get drawn into the deeper picture.

The main point of contention that I hear about this film is the ending - some consider it anti-climactic and disappointing, or even that it's a bit of a cliffhanger. Your personal interpretation about the ending will probably be the decider for your opinion of the film - personally, I thought it ended the story perfectly, leaving room for your imagination to play with the aftermath (in the same way that you're encouraged to contemplate throughout all the films), but firmly closing the trilogy.

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
Twitch of the Death Nerve (1971) (B+)
One of my favorite 'old school' horror movies.

Due Date (2010) (C+)
Watch at the cinema last year. Very laughable but weak reaction about the characters; barely made with deep down in road-trip scenario.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N. 6/10

Passable adaptation of a couple of the books. The naval action is excellent but away from the action the characters and dialogue feel stilted (some of this is the fault of the books) in the way that they are played. A well-judged "Hurrump, hurrmph!" does not make a complete acting performance.

Enjoy it for the action.

Knowing 3/10

This starts off well in the way that it intrigues but it rapidly becomes clear that it's only intriguing in that our brains are unable to accept that advanced aliens could have such a stupid means of communicating information to us.

The central character's rapid abandonment of rationality is fully in keeping with the absurdities of this film.

I've added a mark because an easy ending was avoided and it was consistent with the vision of the film.

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past 1/10

It's a nice idea to merge A Christmas Carol with rom-com but this was sadly lacking in the execution.

Matthew McConaughey had all the charisma of the plank of teak that he so closely resembled and failed to convince as a Lothario.

The rest of the movie just wasn't funny enough and the only scene that really worked (amazing, given what had led up to it) was when McConaughey's character convinced the bride to return to her wedding.

I realise that I'm not the target demographic for a film of this type but if I were, I suspect I might be a little upset at the patronising characterisation given in this film.

Avoid!

(I didn't because I am currently confined to the couch with a suspected broken foot:(. Next time, I'll hop away to avoid it.)

Last edited:

[VaLkyR]Anubis

Foregone Destruction
Jan 20, 2008
Gaia
www.youtube.com
Blade Runner - My father told me a lot of good stuff about this movie and also trailers were pretty interesting to me! Yesterday, I finally watched this movie, together with my family! I really enjoyed this movie! Even when it's been 30 years since this movie was done, but hell who gives a shit! It is a classic movie and people should watch it, because it is fabulous, just so damn fabulous! Can't wait to watch it again! 10/10, in my opinion...kinda obviously...

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
All That Jazz 8.5/10

Two, maybe even three great performances are the icing on the cake for this cinematic roman à clef.

The original songs are only OK but given such a standout treatment that no one's complaining. The adapted material is used with a delicious sense of sarcasm.

Having an unpleasant, driven central character is always a hard sell but the task is managed almost effortlessly here.

This should be on everyone's must-see list. You will not necessarily enjoy it but it will be instructive.