High Ping Rate!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Midnight_Oil

Sep 3, 2001
MONTANA, USA
Visit site
HELP!! My ping won't stay down low enough to play UT or any of the MODS. I have a 256K Wirless internet connection and it clocks regularly @ 245K download and 100K upload. I have tried adjusting the netspeed in the system console...nothing seems to bring the ping down. My system is a DP 450mhz G4 running OS9.1 with a ATI Rage128 w/16MB vram. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?!

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
What kind of pings are you experiencing?

Being wireless, you may victim of poor latency:

Originally posted my SimplyCosmic

... there are two components to a connection, that of bandwidth (the amount of data that can be transferred per second) and latency (the time it takes for one packet to travel from server to server, related to ping).

A prime example of a broadband connection where you can increase bandwidth while actually decreasing your latency performance are satellite broadband. You can easily get over a Mb/s download, but due to the amount of time for the signal to bounce off a satellite, you will never get a ping less than 400ms.

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
There are plenty of upload Satellite connections now-days.

100kbit would be about right as well.

If it IS satellite, you'll never get a low ping.

If it's just to the local receiving tower - you got a chance.

What kind of Ping ARE you getting?

Midnight_Oil

Sep 3, 2001
MONTANA, USA
Visit site
My wireless account is not satelite. It goes only a bout a mile to a tower similar to a cellular phone tower. It runs off a 2+ GHZ signal. My PING in UT ranges from 145 which is great, all the way up to 4000. The sad thing is it used to always stay low...now I can't keep a low ping for nothing. I did some packet loss tests using DSL Reports and my ISP has a zero packet loss test every time. Any other questions fellas? (sorry if there are fems responding)

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
hmm, im suspecting the technology is the same when 56k was first being "consumerized" that the connection is totally dependent on software. what connection is the modems interface? is it USB? check for conflicts with the USB port.
[edit] read post properly and saw Mac-like words.... good chance its USB and totally software controlled.
when you have a software 56k modem, after 20 minutes of UT the sae happens what you described, thats when the modem is becoming too much for the CPU to keep it running. i think the same might be happening to your connection, but im not totally sure because wireless connections here (even tho designed for my area... thank you BT) are never gonna be deployed. [/edit]

/me runs away from mac-like words!

Midnight_Oil

Sep 3, 2001
MONTANA, USA
Visit site
:rolleyes: The interface that the connection uses is a CAT5 connection between me and the antenae. I have a gigabit card so there should be nothing lacking there...and the protocal for connection to the isp is simply a DCHP Server set-up through TCP/IP. I am starting to think that I just have crappy routings to the servers. Therefore crappy PINGS.