New scoring system... Proximity=teamwork?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-GAT-Rogue

Jul 22, 2001
Visit site
since there is so much inf bashing now....
i will join in!
inf score system sucks, i wont get bonus points for using my 3 weapon combo and not following my teammate!
this free mod sucks!!!!

:p

MoNDoGuY

Groin grabbingly good!
Apr 5, 2001
CANADA!!!!!
ghost.clanpages.com
Originally posted by St0rmcaller
And concerning the non-voice comm teamwork, I believe the hogwash comment is right. On the AFA server, we have seen some outstanding teamwork being performed without voice comm. And on a side note, I'd like to thank GAT-Rogue right here and now for being the one who always died first on DM-INF-Island just to let me know where the enemy is. :D

Well why don't we see who right here. Let's have a srimmage. GHOST uses voice comms, AFA doesn't. If you can manage to beat us without voice comms then I applaud you and I was wrong. Not many clans can do that to us even with voice comms.

BTW Storm what you're talking about there is ghosting. That's not really teamwork. I personally hate ghosting and think it should done away with it.

MoNDoGuY

Groin grabbingly good!
Apr 5, 2001
CANADA!!!!!
ghost.clanpages.com
Originally posted by Cholo Grande
On another note, the "rambo" players that get a bad rep are the ones that usualy kick ass in matches as well. When I dream up match strategy for a particular map I usualy have a larger squad that each member is assigned choke points and cover positions, while a smaller group of one or two "rambos" makes up the frontal assault team. The MUF clan has solid teamplay. We were in the sem-filals of the ILCR Infiltration league, a place you don't get to without solid teamplay.

Same goes for GHOST on that one.

AFA, I've never seen your server. Is it up all the time or only at certain times? What's the name of it? Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

The insta-posting in this thread is rampant.

Cholo Grande

May 29, 2001
www.buswerks.com
Key word was SMALL. SMALL gripe. Proximity doesn't equate to good teamplay. Simple statement.

And I never said INF sucks. I love INF, and it's the input of this community of beta testers that builds this game. I expect we'll all be slapping out $30 for the mod pretty soon, and I think that the a loud voice from the player community has helped this alot. If I think I may not like something and get people talking, future releases may change because of this voice. That is one of the key factors in the success of Infiltration.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
BTW Storm what you're talking about there is ghosting. That's not really teamwork. I personally hate ghosting and think it should done away with it.
take it easy, mondo, we know full well what ghosting is... in that particular match "the enemy" happened to be storm's own ops chief, namely moi... :D

on a more important note:
can't we all just get along???
christ, this thread has become, as rogue so aptly put it, a "you're a newbie who doesnt like teamwork, no im older and my daddy can beat up yours" thread... let's just all take a breather and chill out, eh?

c+k|nEVeRmOre

~A.K.A. wesley_sniper~
Originally posted by Cholo Grande
LMAO@Wesly Sniper! I never said that killing a team mate to get kills was in my bag of tricks. I said that, if someone gets in my LOF while I was in a firefight and I have to choose between letting off the trigger and dieing (BECAUSE OF THEIR DUMB ASS) or letting off the trigger and them maybe getting the kill or maybe not, I would not let off the trigger in a public game. BTW I've been hit by the same **** before and I will applogize for not watching you LOF.
And I agreed with you if you recall. I will also apologize if I happen to walking into someone's LOF like a moron. I never said it was in your bag of tricks. I was talking about Antagonist.
Originally posted by MUF Antagonist
First on a public server I don't care about anyone but myself! I'll shoot you if you walk in front, or I'll nade you just because a enemy is near!
remember?
I am truly impressed with how my topic has blossomed. If ANYONE remembers I was voicing a SMALL gripe with the scoring system. Proximity does not equal teamplay.
You are the one who insinuated yourself into the off topic. My comments were leveled squarely at Antagonist until you started mouthing off.
Since we have so many teamplay experts (whom I've never seen in a league or even in my "challenge" book) who know EVERYTHING about teamplay while I know nothing, I assume that all of you know that solid teamplay on many maps, especialy the larger ones, would not include being close to each other. In other words, from what I read in my quick scim of the manual, I will not be awarded teamplay points because I didn't stand withing multi-kill range of my mate.
First off, I never said you know nothing about team play, I said you know nothing about me. Get it straight. Second, I cannot get in your challenge book because I am not in an INF clan. Third, from experience, I completely agree that proximity as a measure of team work is completely absurd. Many of my best strats involved spreading out on large maps. Despite great distances, good communication and team work were still the deciding factor in the efficacy of the strategy.
On another note, the "rambo" players that get a bad rep are the ones that usualy kick ass in matches as well. When I dream up match strategy for a particular map I usualy have a larger squad that each member is assigned choke points and cover positions, while a smaller group of one or two "rambos" makes up the frontal assault team.
hehe...the funny thing is, that is a great example of some of the better team strategies implemented by the top clans on the OGL Instagib ladders in both Q2 and Q3. Sorry, team work = team work no matter what game you are playing :p
The MUF clan has solid teamplay. We were in the sem-filals of the ILCR Infiltration league, a place you don't get to without solid teamplay.
I never debated whether your clan was capable of team play in matches. It just irks me that I see all these clan types <i>Rambo</i>ing instead of making even a small attempt at team play in the pubs.

c+k|nEVeRmOre

~A.K.A. wesley_sniper~
Originally posted by MoNDoGuY
If you can manage to beat us without voice comms then I applaud you and I was wrong. Not many clans can do that to us even with voice comms.
It that is the case, I would imagine your clan could still beat a clan that was using VOIP while your clan was not. It is mostly about how well you work together, not about who has VOIP :p

Classified: Unknown

May 1, 2001
Visit site

I can't speak for Storm because I wasn't on his team, but I believe what he is referring to is seeing where the tracers are coming from, which is a big factor on big/realistic maps like brikby and island where you can normally see tracers before the actual person.

As far as when the server is up, currently we are figuring our settings/map cycle so the server is up from around 4 or 5 pm est. until 10ish the next morning, after we are done with this phase it will be up 24/7 except for when the internet connection is down.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
There's nothing greater than getting into a covering situation with someone else on a public server for me. It means that another person you've never met, and not in a clan with, has a similar philosophy regarding teamwork as you do. You don't have to participate as a team with everyone on your side, just with one other person. The new system completely encourages such activity.

BTW, I engage in this activity whenever I can. I would encourage every single other person to do so as well. Your team will do better and you will find that your survival rate is likely to increase.

I find the description of not letting go of the trigger because a teammate has crossed into your field of fire to be completely against the concepts of realism that form the foundation of INF. Would you do this in real life, even if the teammember was a complete moron with no respect to field of fire. I will always choose to place myself in danger by refusing to fire when a teammate is near than risk the TK (god knows I get enough of those by accident).

Give the new scoreboard a chance, and please be willing to sacrifice a few kills in favor of protecting a teammate. The only reason there is the lack of teamplay you perceive on the public servers is because you (the community) don't participate as a team. I would love to see the clan members play on public servers like they do during clan matches. Make some tactical suggestions with teamsay. Encourage players on your team to use RW or BC. I know we've all seen many of the same players on your favorite servers. There is no reason we can't promote teamwork at every turn.

MoNDoGuY

Groin grabbingly good!
Apr 5, 2001
CANADA!!!!!
ghost.clanpages.com
Originally posted by LoTekK

take it easy, mondo, we know full well what ghosting is... in that particular match "the enemy" happened to be storm's own ops chief, namely moi... :D

I wasn't trying to be hostile at all. I was just pointing something out.

I'm just making a friendly challenge. I know you guys really work hard on your teamwork from what I've read, and I'd like to see it in action. We learn as much from our oponents as we do from ourselves.

It that is the case, I would imagine your clan could still beat a clan that was using VOIP while your clan was not. It is mostly about how well you work together, not about who has VOIP

True. But VOIP plays a big role in role in our game. It's just the way we are. If we had to play with out it I'm sure we could adjust.

MUF Antagonist

Aug 6, 2001
www.buswersk.com
Let me put something to rest for those that can't properly translate my encoding of sentences! I do not, purposly teamkill anyone, nor do I nade into my own team! That statement was to merely show you people how the majority of people play on publics! For those not bright enough to see that, there it is!

For anyone that thinks I am a tk'ing ho, bring it on! I'll be on a server all night to show you how teamwork is played! So come get your little lessons in how to play, as a single person, and then as a team!

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America

Well why don't we see who right here. Let's have a srimmage. GHOST uses voice comms, AFA doesn't. If you can manage to beat us without voice comms then I applaud you and I was wrong. Not many clans can do that to us even with voice comms.

I'd love to arrange a scrimmage! However, it could be difficult seeing as we (the AFA) have wildly varying schedules, and are still basically a newbie clan. We also play with a realistic playing style in mind, meaning, we don't have any dancing queens(trademark of GAT-Rogue:D) in the AFA. Well, okay maybe puncher, be he ain't right in the head (j/k puncher). The odds are stacked, but no one ever accused us military folk of being too bright. Let's try to work something out. Who do I have to talk to?

And also, CU is right, not ghosting, but rather watching them there nifty tracers pierce Rogues body many times over is what I meant. :D

[edit] So bring it on punk biatch! We're ready to hand you your own asses on a plate with tartar sauce! Ain't we guys! Uh...guys? Guys?...oh...sh!t...

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
alright...I have to get a few things figured out here...after reading 4 pages of this I am left a little bit perplexed...

Eddie...You want realism...you want teamplay...you want no scores...do you really want a video game? Maybe instead of sitting around a computer screen shouting at people and computer players about how this is unrealistic and youre not using real tacitcs and whatnot drop the extra 200 pounds of baggage youve accumulated from eating french fries and pork grinds in your computer chair and join the army...I swear to God you will not find one rusher...one prone bug...one scoreboard...or even one m203 beign fired in a building.

As long as I can remember video games have been based around points...pacman...pong...all the oldies have. Taking out points from a video game would be like tearing out the heart of a human. What's the piont in playing if you don't have a goal?

As for AFA...I have seen you two play...and you use great tactics together. Eddie...fur...and the rest of you guys who don't want to play video games all you have to do is find ONE person willing to play how you like to play and youre set.

vedder

See This Needle? See my arm...
Jun 10, 2001
www.myextralife.com
Visit site
Originally posted by JonnyBoyDT

Eddie...You want realism...you want teamplay...you want no scores...do you really want a video game? Maybe instead of sitting around a computer screen shouting at people and computer players about how this is unrealistic and youre not using real tacitcs and whatnot drop the extra 200 pounds of baggage youve accumulated from eating french fries and pork grinds in your computer chair and join the army...I swear to God you will not find one rusher...one prone bug...one scoreboard...or even one m203 beign fired in a building.

Well the best i can do is play paintball seeing as how i am 16 and that i do. But one can not play paintball and airsoft all the time, thats where combat simulators like INF come into play. And the only reason i would want to drop scores and whatnot is not because its unrealistic, its cause most people are too immature for scores. You all take the fun outta games by putting your individual score over your team score.

Jul 16, 2001
Eddie: Your opinions strive toward a perfect war simulator. I ask you, what would be the point of this unless you are training to head out to a warzone? A real war is not fun, a computer game is, or at least should be.

A suggestion to the INF team:

The current Infiltration community resides on servers such as MUF, SOB, Onecall..at least 80% on those three alone. I think it would be of more value to listen to the people who play here than to the ones that just sit around all day trying to prove people wrong on the forums, who are RARELY (if ever) seen online. The bottom line is if a patch that does not satisfy the needs of the majority is released, either the Infiltration community will die, or the servers will continue to use the old patch. Just a suggestion. I like what you have done so far with Infiltration, but a few issues mentioned earlier in this thread with regards to the new patch concern me as well. I just don't want to see a good game go downhill because of the brilliant ideas of some 16 year olds.

MoNDoGuY

Groin grabbingly good!
Apr 5, 2001
CANADA!!!!!
ghost.clanpages.com
Storm, you guys can play anyway you want, you not going to get any running and gunning form us. The person you wanna talk to is me, ICQ = 7230960. We'll set something up. I really don't care if you use VOIP or not. I'm just anxious to see you guys in action. I've already seen a newbie clan play and they're pretty damn good. ILCR is going to get much more competitve :D

And for my final 0.02$, I would like to see a bonus for killing someone within 5m or so of a teammate. And a better voice command system.

/me can't wait for 2.86!! :D

Wetwire

Aug 16, 2001
Houston, Texas
www.betom.com
FUN can be teamplay.

FUN can be the trigger-happy score the most points possible without concern for Teammates game (e.g. - Quake, HL, etc.)

FUN can be playing alone (my personel favorite.. hehe)

FUN can be any of those things, but the one thing that FUN should not be is NOT FUN :mad:

It sounds like a couple of you in here are not having any FUN! I do not believe I have every even seen some of you playing on a server (c+k|nEVeRmOre, eddievedder).

So tell me this. How is it you know so much about these issues when you do not even appear to be playing the game online?

I hope that in the future it becomes more FUN for you to play this great game. Until then.. Chin up fellas.

vedder

See This Needle? See my arm...
Jun 10, 2001
www.myextralife.com
Visit site
HMMMM.... i have alot of fun playing INF, let me just publically state that i think it is the best game ever and its basically the only game i play , aside from a little tropico... (DIE TROPICANS DIE!!! ) just wanna get this point across. Oh and i play online plenty, or have played online plenty... usually late at night tho from 10 pm to 3 am. EST. Some of you mighta seen me. But lately i havent played online too much because of rampant bug abuse and generally bad attitudes, but when i do play online nowadays its on a private server with a friend mano a mano, unless we fire up INFMonsters but thats altogether diff. Anyways, i find it funny that some of you defend your position even though Warren and other team members clearly state that they wish to encourage and foster teamplay on PUBs and whatnot. And THEY made the game. So dont tell the creators how their own game should be played. :D

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
umm...I'm sorry for not kissing their asses? And I'm not saying that what Warren is trying to push is wrong...I merely I want to see personal kills...

I like to set goals...I got 40 points last match...now lets see if I can get 45 next time...thats a goal... humping a teammates leg to get your teamwork percent up is not a hard goal to improve upon...thats all im saying

heres my next question ol' Eddie...You say you strive for teamwork...you strive for that realism factor...you say that but you obviously don't mean it, because as you have stated you like to play mano y mano with monsters...theres teamwork for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.