Possibilities of UE2RT for scientific research

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

spekkeh

May 11, 2006
Hello everyone,

I'm going to conduct a scientific research for my master's thesis, on the effect of certain environmental cues on the emotions of a person viewing a virtual environment.
For this I'm reviewing different game level editors that could possibly aid in the task of creating a virtual environment, I was wondering if anyone here knows if UE2RT is up to the task.

I basically need the following options:

Start off with a splash screen, a questionnaire where you can choose different settings, such as weather conditions, lighting, crowdedness of geometric shapes. And then have the level editor create a level that complies to these settings.

Does anyone think this is at all possible with the Unreal Engine? It's not really a problem that it only runs within an Unreal game.

eastgate2

May 17, 2003
orbiting
With unreal script programming, yes it is possible. However "level editor create a level that complies" sounds a bit off track, since afaik the engine can't alter level geometry and data real-time on the fly. Instead you can load up the different versions of the same level which all versions varying about weather and lighting etc. and your respondent can choose to wonder around in those levels.

Apart from designing the same level with different variations of your choose and putting all of them on your map list, you need to code some extra stuff in unrealscript for the runtime version for your special "questionnaire" splash screen.

By the way, the whole thing sounds like an interesting research, good luck.

spekkeh

May 11, 2006
Okay, so it isn't really possible (with programming of course) to make it in a way that you start up the game, choose a number of settings and then have the game insert this into the environment? You'd have to physically create a map for any one of these settings beforehand, which a player can then choose from?

(I hope you understand what I mean)

Thanks, by the way, I'm quite thrilled with it myself :D.

Switch`

Pixelante
Feb 27, 2004
It's possible to create just one empty map and fill it with stuff dynamically but it wont be as good as manually created one.