Any class based mods with *decent* bot support?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
Im just looking for a little variety in matches. They keep stuff, they all drop stuff, in the end they're all using the same weapon anyways. No such thing as some all mod random weapon kind of thing? I tried that weaponlord gametype, but those dumb weapons made my game crash.

Don't suppose keep stuff would work with dark magic do you?

Blade_hunter

Unreal tournament mod dude
Jan 23, 2008
I think it doesn't work with dark magic ...
even with some mods it have some flaws with U4E or if you have too much weapons I got some problems that the mutie never kept everything ...

difool2

May 10, 2003
Visit site
Beware there's a bug in Pinata where, if you set dying players to drop "powerups", that any relics thus dropped will become permanent, while new ones continue to spawn. You'll eventually end up with dozens of e.g. Deathsheads (Vengeance) lying around.

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
Wouldn't really appeal to me anyways. Once everyone picks up a certain weapon they all keep dropping it over and over and it turns into more of a single weapon arena type mutator. Now if everyone had an U4e tomahawk....

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
From my own personal experience, UNF Gold has better bot support as they are the only ones that can use special skills and deployables (though overtime the SG placements are a bit too predictable IMHO). All the other class mods (WF, UeF...) do have bot support but they are just like the plain UT ones and don't do anything special. Still good for a UT style game though...

WFUT uses CTF maps, but you should only use "stock" Epic maps along with the WF ones. Custom CTF maps don't have the backpacks and you have to hunt all over the map just for the ammo for the weapons you only have. :p

UNF only uses their own maps, but you can get the CTF2UNF mod by BACON which lets you use CTF maps. I don't know where it's available now but it should be on some web site. And you'll have to start that gametype from XMaps...

War_Master

May 27, 2005
Most of the bot support depends on the weapons. It all depends as how the moders coded the weapons for their own bots to use and it all depends on situation like distances combining with the mod's weapons available. If you go off using different weapons from several different mods it will mostly confuse the retail bots since some of them will force the bots to use a code depending on the situation where several weapons could have the same code for that specific situation. Now, the rest also depends if the gametype uses its own bot support with its own weapons which are coded for that specific bot support, which means that the retail bot system wont understand the code since it is not coded for them. That's where you see the bots using the same weapon no matter what.

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
Now I'd love that kind of mod. Of course it has to be at some unknown location, or not even exist at all online anymore. Google yields absolutely nothing, so I don't even know where to start.

That favorite weapon doesn't even work for normal UT weapons. They still all choose rocket launchers and miniguns.

Last edited:

Blade_hunter

Jan 23, 2008
The turret and deployables are predictable because the mappers used points where the bots are supposed to build defenses.
On the bot AI they need too chose between points disposed by the mappers because those placements are supposed to be the bet for a Turret for example

The weapons are one key, the grenades on the fortress mods needs some additional coding for the bots

In the game tactical ops the bots never use the fire mod button, that means they never use the grenade launcher from the M4/M203

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
Even if you could use any ctf map the bots wouldn't be able to even do things like sentrys and stuff?

By the way, you know of any mods other than chaos and U4e that have a few melee weapons. I been having some fun throwing in the crossbow and swords n stuff with stuffswapper.

Last edited:

Blade_hunter

Jan 23, 2008
For mods with a ton of melee weapons there is more chances you find something for UT 2k4 than UT 99
but most mods have more guns than other things

I give you a list where you can find some gems
Marathon rampancy (fists)
Apocalypse weapons (a modified ripper that act like a circular saw)
Agent X 2.1 + (a throwing knife with ammo and retrievable)
Legacy (a skaarj pulse gun with a melee attack and auto rechargeable ammo)
Badlands (there is knives pikes ... the guns doesn't work , I mean weapons that reloads)
Sin 2UT (fists and concussion gun)
Marathon Resurrection (fists and an alien staff, there is some bugs with some weapons)

Except chaos UT and U4E there isn't mods with a ton of melee weapons but you can find one - two weapons that doesn't exist in chaos UT or U4e

There is Nali chronicles where most weapons have a melee attack but none of them have a secondary fire.
They automatically change their fire mode second the distance of your foe except the knife.

Some mods are single player and importing too much items can make stuffswapper unusable and make some crashes.
Unfortunately I can't use the weapons from Unreal fortress it seems they have no pickup and they are linked with the "class" though
We can us the WF weapons but not the UF weapons ...

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
How do you add mods to stuffswapper? I'd like to add Badlands, last C4 version, and old tactical ops that works for normal UT.

Blade_hunter

Jan 23, 2008
First you need the mod installed.

It's a bit tricky not the fact you add the "mods"
you need to use the stuff importer programm scan an U file with (you can even discover some hidden weapons from U4e)
But you need to delete the useless content from the the stuffswapper ini file because this can cause some crashes

This one have 3 parts

weapons
ammo
Pickup

the weapons and ammo part works fine and you can have a lot but try to make a copy of your stuffswapper items.ini file before importing items.

you can't have more than 100 items from the pickup part of the file
this causes crashes for unknown reasons

I have selected

Combat zone
Apocalypse weapons
Agent X 2.0
Badlands
Cap'n CTF
C4 alphas
C4 beta1
Chaos UT
Legacy
Marathon resurrection
Night's edge (there is only the weapons from the mutie compatible with UT)
Nightmare realms
Unreal 1 weapons with the old sounds
Weapons from the oldskool mod
Operation stingray
PerUnreal
Psi weapon dreams
Marathon rampancy
Seven bullet weapons
Sin2UT
Strangelove
Cluster redeemer
Neocairo
U4E fortress
Unreal 4 ever
A miscalaneous U4e weapon
Agent X 2.3
Some Unreal 1 guns
Return to na pali weapons
a miscalaneous mod (maybe spray paint ?)
Weapons Factory
3 xidia weapons

if you have those mods you can do whatever you want to do with

http://download.beyondunreal.com/browse.php?dir=modsquad/unreal_tournament/mods/

Go here
for getting combat zone (combat.zip)
and the C4 alphas

Attachments

• StuffSwapperItems.rar
    12.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
Ah, I tried weaponlord and my game crashed when I tried to open SS. Guess because of the +100 weapons. Gana do it one at a time. Tried FEBA's Havian weapons, those work and go nicely with U4e's swords n axes.
I got both the last and previous version of C4 installed. I like the last for the extra weapons, but I hate that you for some reason always spawn with a tomson machinegun. Im confused to which .u file is the last version so I can try to set that up.

So useless stuff will apear in the ini? Hard to spot some of that stuff sometimes.

Too bad you can't make vehicles spawn in maps, even though bots are retarded using them. Is Neo Cario a good mod? Last I looked it was too big of a download, unless there's some smaller packages of it.

I also guess Tactical Ops wouldn't work, well the Models.u file has so much extra junk in it.

Blade_hunter

Jan 23, 2008
Useless stuff is more related with the mods you won't play have or use the mod's name.
Because the basic stuffswapper items ini is full of some mods and even mods perhaps you don't have.
You can create an empty ini with no mods and add some manually, this is hard to remove the useless elements but the mod nUT for example I removed this one from the INI since I don't have installed that mod who works pretty bad
because it's an alpha.
but you can use my file if you want instead of yours if you have the mods.

for weapon lord you need a big cleanup to use all the weapons but I prefer the weapons with a new model
try my file you will see some cool U4E stuff that the original stuffswapperitems.ini doesn't have, also I have the chaos ut 1.1 in

Neocairo is a cool mod with mechs and some vehicles, also there is some funny weapons, skins gametypes.

Too bad they never made their Ut 2k4 version, the first models looked good

For TO weapons you can use agent X 2.0 and the C4 mods this one contains a famas, and a sig swat that orks pretty well.
my favorite rocket launcher is the one from combat zone even if it's a bit overpowered

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
What new U4e and Chaos stuff you got? Wait, what the heck is new in U4e Fortress?

I also can't figure out which C4 u file is the new one. The one with C4 loaded and has different gun sounds and a few more guns like the mac-10 and suicide vest. Oddly you can have both versions installed at once.

Also, did you have to clean up the ini after putting in Badlands?

Or... I could always try that file of yours instead of shatter the light bulb in my head.

Elegnaim

Sep 3, 2005
Reviving a dead thread.

UNF's bot AI seems good enough -- I've seen them use most of their abilities, except for some of the more oddball ones, and I don't know if I've ever seen Mortars getting used -- but the pathing on the maps is lacking, with bots getting stuck in water a lot, and not all of the maps having sentry/dispensor/tripmine points.

Anyone more versed in botpathing wanna go through and try and fix it up? I managed to get sentries added to a lot of maps, but I can't fix the issues with bots not using certain paths (Tuscan, for instance. All the bots stay in the base) or the water stuckness (Well).

I don't think I ever got feba working right.

I sort of wonder how a Q3TA-style class-via-relic setup would work.

Substantially less related, Weapons Factory for Quake 2 also works fairly wellish. Bots place sentries (since that's stored in the route files, I think) but I don't think they deploy tripmines. They do use grapples since they're based on the Eraserbot... code (Why didn't Quake 3 use Q2 style bots :( They work so much better). Also they don't use the full array of weapons, although that MIGHT be because they have preset favorite weapons. Hard to say.

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
With all of the randomness I added to my gameplay, its as classlike as it's gana get. Still wish I could remove dropping your weapon after dying so everyone is forced to use only what they spawned with or find.

UTC is the only class mod that can be used for any gametype, but it's buggy and your stuck with the same old boring weapons. Tradeoff works with any weapon/gametype, but there's only 4 classes to choose from and they're too similar.

I get tired of UNF after a while with the lack of maps, and most of those maps aren't my taste.

BACON.

Mar 29, 2001
Chicago, Illinois
www.nocab.org
From my own personal experience, UNF Gold has better bot support as they are the only ones that can use special skills and deployables (though overtime the SG placements are a bit too predictable IMHO). All the other class mods (WF, UeF...) do have bot support but they are just like the plain UT ones and don't do anything special. Still good for a UT style game though...

[snip]

UNF only uses their own maps, but you can get the CTF2UNF mod by BACON which lets you use CTF maps. I don't know where it's available now but it should be on some web site. And you'll have to start that gametype from XMaps...

In a brief moment of vanity last August I Googled "CTF2UNF" and was surprised to actually get a hit: this thread. So, it's now the following June and I am finally getting around to replying...

First of all, what's up, MadDog? How's the UnrealScripting going? I remember giving you a few pointers way back when. You worked on Weapons Factory and Unreal Fortress: Evolution, didn't you? I think you and BullDog were, like, my most enthusiastic beta testers, so it's no surprise to see you still singing CTF2UNF's praises...

Secondly, Ghoulz, you're not the same Ghoul/Ghoulz/Ghoulag/Ghoulaquer/etc. from Unreal Fortress and #POPGWAP on QuakeNet, are you? I'm guessing not.

Thirdly, MrMadDog is correct. CTF2UNF let you play Unreal Fortress on both CTF and DOM maps, though I don't remember what exactly it did on DOM maps; I think it gave you the option of converting them to two-team Capture The Flag (with the two Domination points that were furthest apart being converted to flag bases) or two-team One Flag (with the two Domination points that were furthest apart being converted to capture points and the remaining Domination point becoming the flag base). It also allowed you to customize the UNF rules and gameplay on any map, in ways such as...

• Select from multiple flag return modes:
    • Fortress: A flag is returned when a predetermined amount of time elapses without being touched by an enemy player
    • Capture The Flag: Same as Fortress rules, except a flag is also returned when it is touched by a friendly player
    • Carry The Flag: Same as Fortress rules, except a flag is also returned when a friendly player carries it back to their flagbase
  • Select from Unreal Fortress or (the much prettier) Unreal Tournament flag models
  • Optionally give a speed boost or penalty to a player holding a flag, configured separately for friendly and enemy flags
  • Optionally allow an enemy flag to be captured by touching it to the friendly flag (drop-capping)
  • Optionally prevent certain classes from being able to hold flags at all
  • Select whether you can capture an enemy flag when your flag has been taken (UNF rules) or if your flag must be returned first (UT rules)
  • Select whether a flag can be captured at the capture point, flagbase, or both
  • Optionally swap the locations of the flag base and capture points for each team (ie on 2Forts the flag base would be on the roof and the capture point would be in the basement)
  • Numerous other tweaks, enhancements, and bug fixes to standard UNF that I can't really recall all these years later

Some of the above features didn't work so well with bots. If I remember correctly, bots were able to navigate CTF maps properly, it's just they didn't build sentries or place claymores or anything like that since those UNF navigation points need to be defined by the map-maker. I still have all the source code and some archived builds, albeit in a yet-to-be-organized state (this was back when I thought "source control" was a batch file that zipped up your source code every time you compiled it).

Last edited:

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Speaking of bringing back the dead... ;)

First of all, what's up, MadDog? How's the UnrealScripting going? I remember giving you a few pointers way back when. You worked on Weapons Factory and Unreal Fortress: Evolution, didn't you? I think you and BullDog were, like, my most enthusiastic beta testers, so it's no surprise to see you still singing CTF2UNF's praises...

Hey long time no see! :D

Yeah I did help out with UNF:E and Nonya & I tried to do a Weapons Factory mod for UT2004 but things didn't work out. Most people moved on to TF2 I believe. Right now (in what very little spare time I have) I'm starting work on a Generations Arena type mod for the Unreal series, so in a way I'm still doing class mods. :lol:

To keep this thread back on track I dug up the CD with the UNF/WFUT/U4E mods and reinstalled them on my new computer. Good times...

And thanks for all your help in getting me started with UnrealScript Bacon, along with the entire UNF community. :)

BACON.

Mar 29, 2001
Chicago, Illinois
www.nocab.org
Ironically, I'm actually in the same situation as Ghoulz, so, y'know, good thing this thread is here.

I built a new computer last month and picked up Unreal Tournament 3 for a whopping $8 just to try it. Though the game is gorgeous and runs like butter (butter!) on my system, the vehicles are really starting to piss me off and my assumption that there'd be a thriving mods community (or, even, simply anyone online to play with) seems to have been wrong. Looks like I'd have better luck with the original Unreal Tournament, which I might just have to reinstall...

This past weekend Steam let you play Team Fortress 2 for free, which I was excited about, at first. But, after enough times getting blown to bits in an instant before I could even see what hit me and then having to sit there for 15 seconds before it let's me respawn so I can do it all over again I guess I just decided that wasn't my idea of fun. I don't know if it's that most of the servers have at least 24 people playing or the non-CTF gametypes just turn into one massive frag fest or because I'm simply not used to non-Unreal games, but that was a major disappointment. Plus, I didn't like how the "free weekend" ended before the actual weekend did (evidently they just kinda pull the rug out from under you some time on Sunday).

Anyways, are there any Fortress-style games out there - Unreal-based or otherwise - that maintain the spirit and entertainment value of Unreal Fortress, or was UNF just one of a kind? I think UNF was about the most fun I've ever had playing a computer game (though Tactical Ops, JailBreak, and vanilla UT certainly had their moments), and I'd try to revive it if only a few of us hadn't already failed at that a handful of years back. Is there anything out there like it, or has the games industry started taking cues from Hollywood: all pretty pictures but no substance? Where might I find more information on that Generations Arena mod you mentioned?