Review Discussion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UTGirl

Link(gun) Lady
I`ve seen some ppl have written whole reviews about some released skinpacks, a great idea!

Would be cool to have such a thing in the forum, or better, on the Skincity-site. I`d like to be able to rate skins and a sort function (like @ NaliCity) would also be great!

Hm, reviews of other users sound really cool (of course they should not be as strict as they are @ polycount....).

What do you think, would it make sense to make such a section in the forum?

Last edited:

Sahkolihaa

Ow...
Dec 29, 2004
England
I think it sounds like a good idea, as skins that are rated will show people who want to download skins if it's good or bad.

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
Yap it`s a great idea, rating systems are always good for such sites!

It makes things easier if you want to search for popular skins, but such systems depend on the users! My experiences are that most ppl are simply too lazy to vote or write comments -> If making such a sys, there should be an official Skincity-group which makes the comments and gives the notes, stars, points whatever to all the skins, to make sure the voting sys works

But I think that`s already on SaD`s long long to-do-list ;)

SaD

Skincollecting Fanatic
Sep 6, 2003
Germany
skincity.beyondunreal.com
MäxX said:
But I think that`s already on SaD`s long long to-do-list ;)

Yep .I meet my php-coder at the GC in 4 weeks .
He is really short on time at the moment , but we think to expand our backend , so every visitor can rate a skin and give a comment (like the comments in the news) .

Other than that it´s a great idea with the reviews in the forum .
I´m really up for this .I can make a sticky and add reviews there , if someone is willing to do some (like the tutorial-list ) .So nothing get lost.
Also there should be a general look-out of the Reviews , like :

Header of the thread : [UT-Review] - Name of the Skin
[UT2003-Review] - Name of the Skin

The Review splitted in some different rated sections like :

General (Type of skin - Urban Camo Marine or whatever )
Technical (copy/pasted , complete from scratch or whatever)
The Rating : 5 out 10 points , 50 % or whatever .

These are only some suggestions .

Last edited:

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
SaD said:
Other than that it´s a great idea with the reviews in the forum .
I´m really up for this .I can make a sticky and add reviews there , if someone is willing to do some (like the tutorial-list ) .So nothing get lost.
Also there should be a general look-out of the Reviews , like :

Header of the thread : [UT-Review] - Name of the Skin
[UT2003-Review] - Name of the Skin

A whole new section like the tutorials would be great ;) or in which section this should be posted?

If suggestions are appreciated, let`s think about it:

First of all the skin should have standart infos (like on skincity)

Type: Skin/Skinpack/Custom Model/Reskinned custom Model
Teamcolors: No/2/4
A link to the pic and download
anything else I forgot?

And the words by the reviewer (in best case sorted by the evaluated sections)

for instance:

model
textures
teamcolors
portrait
bio

overall score

what do you think about that?

As a guy, who is obviously unable to shut up for single moment, I would surely make some reviews (beware klas, beware :p)

Last edited by a moderator:

UTGirl

Link(gun) Lady
This would surely be great!

The comments at skincity are good, but with new news they are moved out of sight. Surely you can read them, if you search, but who does it? I won`t... I just click on skinpacks (for instance) and see what`s up :D
OK, no need for now, I`m up to date at the moment, but maybe there is a great skin I missed? This should help in getting the best skins :D

Here at the forums is also a must have list, maybe you`ll make on of the hottest skins/models in skincity-section to?
I don`t like sites, which require a registration to get my stuff, so links to such sites are just waste of time. Skincity is great, I think such a sticky thread would help :)

Last edited:

SaD

Skincollecting Fanatic
Sep 6, 2003
Germany
MäxX said:
A whole new section like the tutorials would be great ;) or in which section this should be posted?

I think the General and Off-Topic Section should be ok .No need for another subforum .
With the sticky list you can find all reviews easily.
Some good ideas there MäxX .

Start your first review and I create the Sticky.:D

UTGirl said:
The comments at skincity are good, but with new news they are moved out of sight.

The comments will be part of the infobox about the skin.Also the rating.

------

And remember.We run SkinCity in our spare time (You know reallife is teh suck sometimes :D . I´m really busy (10-14 hours) at work at the moment.So I don´t have so much time I´d like to have to visit the board or doing things at SkinCity. So , don´t expect changes done in 2 days , but as MäxX said , we have a lot of things on our todo-list . :) If we get some free time we improve SkinCity.Believe me , I run SkinCity since 1999 and there are many improvements .I´m sure nobody wants to see crappy version 1 from 1999 :D . we try to get better and better.And we absolutly appreciate constructive threads like this.This way the tutorial-section was born.:)
As an example : The last time we changed something @ SkinCity our coder had work for something like 150 hours(new design / database ).

----

Don´t count on me doing reviews . I don´t have the time and the knowledge.
I think someone who is skinning and knows what he is talking about is better for reviewing . :)

Last edited:

SaD

Skincollecting Fanatic
Sep 6, 2003
Germany
Starry Might said:
I'd be happy to post some reviews of skins and models I own in a Review topic. :D
old_man_funk said:
I'll put some reviews down up in here too homie.

Great :)

Edit : Starry Might post the reviews in the General and Off-Topic Section and I create a review-list with links to them.

Last edited:

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
This actually sounds pretty cool, but I will not commit myself that much to reviewing skins since I don't have any real good skills in that area of expertise(reviews).

But I'd like to see this as an addition to the site. Also sub sub subbedisub menu on the right side of the skincity main site linking to most recent reviews would be cool ;) :)

SaD

Skincollecting Fanatic
Sep 6, 2003
Germany
the_rex said:
But I'd like to see this as an addition to the site. Also sub sub subbedisub menu on the right side of the skincity main site linking to most recent reviews would be cool ;) :)

I´m sure our coder is happy to change the design of the site :lol: .
Anyways , good idea and on the to-do list :) .

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Good idea again for more work for SaD ;) and good to see the site growing too with new and exciting developments. My favourite site for ratings and the way it's done is Mapraider - the way it uses community moderated ratings - that way you get very accurate scores for everything. It's an idea but I dunno' how it's implemeted and reckon it'd be a lot more work for our poor coder.

Only thing I'd say is go easy on the new guys, although we've all seen some really abysmal stuff and the odd dreaded nude pixel :lol: (almost) everyone tries their best. There are a lot of kids doing it who think what they make is cool, so let's not be too harsh with the bad ratings. I'd like to see constructive crits if there are going to be any bad reviews (you rarely see that). Generally if I don't like something I'll say nothing or try to be constructive and if I do like something - kudos.

I will probably be too diplomatic to rate other ppls work aside from maybe the odd model but I'll throw in my two cents here and there on anything I've downloaded and used :D

Last edited:

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Make a thread, in General and Off-Topic, for each review and then someone(a mod) will take care of making a stickie with a list of links to all the seperate reviews.
I'd recommend making the review threads locked. For now at least to keep reviews clean and easy to read.
Also how about a common layout for review threads with pics on top in a line and then continue the review itself. Like on insite, really an easy site to read. ;)
Random Insite review: http://insite.beyondunreal.com/map.php?id=1030

Last edited:

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
The first is done. Consider this as Beta-Review :)

Should we ad some more info? We should definitaly make a score sys:
eg
00-20% - data crap
20-40% - some people might like it
50-60% - reasonable
70-80% - good
80-90% - great
91-100% - godlike

this should be mentioned in the summary of all the threads

What if 2 people want to review the same char? many many questions :p

I also added a poll, so nobody has to ad comments, just vote :tup:, :hmm: or :tdown: for this review ;)

@klas: You`re right, we`re not at polycount and so we shouldn`t be so strict. Well I think only the best will be reviewed *g* Are there any bets how many reviews there will be for the UC2 Skinpack? :lol:

btw and a little bit OT, I love making reviews *g* The german speaking users might know the PC game magazine "PC Games", they also have a part on the homepage, where user can review games. My reviews are here

SaD

Skincollecting Fanatic
Sep 6, 2003
Germany
Starry Might said:
Are you saying I should make my own topic with my reviews in them? :confused:

Hmmm, I guess that would make sense, so that all my stuff is in one place. :)

Open a thread for every Review like MäxX did .We close it after posting the review and add it to the list of reviews.
The first Review by MäxX.

the_rex said:
I'd recommend making the review threads locked. For now at least to keep reviews clean and easy to read.
Also how about a common layout for review threads with pics on top in a line and then continue the review itself. Like on insite, really an easy site to read.

Agreed:tup: .

Klasnic said:
Good idea again for more work for SaD and good to see the site growing too with new and exciting developments. My favourite site for ratings and the way it's done is Mapraider - the way it uses community moderated ratings - that way you get very accurate scores for everything. It's an idea but I dunno' how it's implemeted and reckon it'd be a lot more work for our poor coder.
A userrating @ the infobox over at the mainsite shouldn´t be that hard to implement.
I don´t know how to implement the reviews in the board to the mainsite like Rex said.
But I'd like to see this as an addition to the site. Also sub sub subbedisub menu on the right side of the skincity main site linking to most recent reviews would be cool
We are working with a database and every skin/model/Q&A/Theme is automatically linked in the boxes on the mainsite.It´s a really great idea Rex , but I think it´s impossible to do it without hours of work .
Anyways , I ask our coder , if there is a way to get it added.

@ MäxX : I really like your first review .It´s the only one I don´t close at the moment , so the ppl here can vote and tell us what they think of the review.

I like the layout of the review.Also I like the ratingsystem . % are easily to understand for everyone.On the other side .To make it look professional , don´t use smileys in the review.
Nice reviews @ PC-Games , too .:tup:

Last edited:

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
With more reviews the layout can surely be improved, but for a first step I think it`s quite good :D

I agree with smileys ;)

Hopefully there will be many revisions made :)

Poll is also closed with the thread :( that`s a pity. Well, then just kill the poll and lock the thread to avoid "bonus posts"

thx, unfortunately my review of UT2003 has been removed :( (they replaced it with UT2k3 german version)

EDIT:
should we lock the Sticky too? ;)

SaD

Skincollecting Fanatic
Sep 6, 2003
Germany
MäxX said:
Poll is also closed with the thread :( that`s a pity. Well, then just kill the poll and lock the thread to avoid "bonus posts"
EDIT:
should we lock the Sticky too? ;)

I think so , but I close your thread and we´ll see , if you can vote after closing.

I close the Sticky , too.

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
SaD said:
I think so , but I close your thread and we´ll see , if you can vote after closing.

I close the Sticky , too.

Will be intresting to see, perfect for knowledge gaining :lol: