I'm building a new computer.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Disclaimer: This is not a gaming rig, it is purely intended for 3d rendering and video rendering. Half the time, like it is currently, it will be rendering in Luxrender for 24+hours straight @100% cpu usage. Gaming performance is only a secondary benefit, as reliability in heavy constant usage is the only thing I care about. It will take me a while to build this since I'm using gift cards to amazon.com for each one. First will be the mobo, cpu then the ram as the ram prices seem to change more than the other two parts.

The mobo I'm going to get is a Gigabyte Black Edition LGA 1150 GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK.

Right now I'm going to pair it with a Intel E3-1226 v3 3.3GHz and hopefully it will be as stable and reliable as my current x3370 for week long renders.

My issue is that I'm totally lost with what ram to use. I had picked out
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM but I'm not sure if that's what I need to use. There's so many choices for ram now, I'm lost. :p

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Remember there is no kill like overkill. You should go with something quad socket supporting processors up to 16 cores and1/4 - 1/2TB of Ram. That will make your ram choices easier.

And in the opposite direction is there a reason you are targeting the bottom end of that boards support as far as ram goes? You can get faster in the same amount for roughly the same price(some cheaper some not). Unfortunately more is always better when it comes to ram and that will change the price significantly. Though when looking at things from a price versus performance gain perspective it could be worth it.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Like I said, I don't know anything about current ram speeds and what I need to get. The mobo supports up to 3000soemthing ram so there's eleventybillion choices and I went with double the amount of ram that I currently with a decent price. Remember, my budget is 0 and I'm getting all these things with gift cards.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Like I said, I don't know anything about current ram speeds and what I need to get. The mobo supports up to 3000soemthing ram so there's eleventybillion choices and I went with double the amount of ram that I currently with a decent price. Remember, my budget is 0 and I'm getting all these things with gift cards.

This may help with the ram question:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6372/...333-to-ddr32400-on-ivy-bridge-igp-with-gskill

Though if you're a tl;dr type person, this is probably the most relevant part for what you are doing:
Am7YH9p.png

The 4 x 4 GB DDR3-1866 9-10-9-28 1.50 V : F3-14900CL9Q-16GBSR is basicly the same as what you posted with the exception of four 4's instead of two 8's.

So there is a big gap between 1866 and the 2000's/2400's.

Basicly a quick search found this RAM on newegg that is $12 cheaper then the link you listed and well reviewed and is 2400 instead of 1866 so it is nominally (though noticeably if going by that chart) better as well.

Also there is the advantage of 2 free ram slots on your chosen mobo so at a later date you might add 1 or 2 more sticks.

Last edited: