Bowe Bergdahl

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
Come on, Herm. If you're going to make a politically based insult, at least put some effort into it. :shake:

Use liberetards. It has the same appeal as conservatards, plus you don't have to worry about insulting libertarians because they get libertardians. Isn't that great? And the best part is that it took me all of two seconds to think up. Think of what you could accomplish if you put that much effort into your posts! :eek:

You know in the group where I wish they all lived in Germany and would not post here since they won't ever admit that they are wrong when they are wrong and they complain against the USA routinely.

The bolded portion accurately describes you. So does what comes after it, as liberals, gays, the poor, and all the other groups of people that you've complained about here are all part of America, just like conservatives (shocking, I know).

In all seriousness, how about instead of trying to get regular posters to leave a forum on which you never post except for political trolling, you go back to your own echo chamber and keep making those creepy "analyses" of the posters you don't like. Or you could go to Stormfront or Free Republic, I'm sure they would welcome you with open arms. You're clearly not happy with this place, and I'd hate to see you make yourself suffer. :(

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
If I was the one being held captive, I'd rather die than see such criminals get off scott-free.

:lol: Bullshit! After years of captivity in THAT country with THOSE people you would give everything to return home and wouldn't give two shits about who they release.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
The crimes in question happened before the war.

They were NOT captured and held because of any crimes committed against Afghan citizens, but because they were fighting against us. Be reasonable.

If the US does not have the authority to prosecute, then the US should have handed the men over to someone that does. You don't just release terrorists back into the wild.

We are not the world police. We don't bust into countries and decide who we want to prosecute (with little evidence that can be presented) or not. This is not the job of the US and it SHOULD NOT be the job of the US. We should intervene when necessary to defend our allies, we should make sure that we protect ourselves, but we should not be part of trying to enforce our ideas of what is just on other countries. There is no jurisdiction, no call for prosecution from the international community, no nothing. Don't be ridiculous.

If you read the links I posted you will see that these men's crimes were not just "being at war with the US". These are men with direct links to terrorism and Osama Bin Laden.

If you read your links, you would see that these men were engaged in fighting in Afghanistan almost solely (some work in Pakistan), and for the purpose of supporting their rule. Half of the Bush administration had direct links to terrorism and Osama Bin Laden, should we be prosecuting them? This is specious, as the links there were about people fighting for control of their government.

Is that why when Carney was asked about it several months ago he said they absolutely would not act without notifying congress? If you have a legal expert's analysis showing how this could still be within the law I'd love to read it.

I'm sorry, but WTF? The PRESS SECRETARY is not part of the legal process. YES, he will say things that don't tell us everything while secret negotiations are going on. No, he is not a lawyer, no, you shouldn't take what the whitehouse press secretary says at face value, or as a barometer about if something is legal or not.

As for the legal expert, here is the very first hit from "Bowe Bergdahl legal," pulled from the WSJ, a conservative leaning journal:

"There's no question that Congress has the power generally to govern military conduct. On the other hand, prisoner exchanges are such a fundamental, long-standing part of the laws of war that are carried out by the commander in chief," said Stephen Vladeck, a law professor at American University and co-editor of the national-security blog JustSecurity.org. "I think that any president—this president, President Bush, President Rand Paul—would say it's within his power."

It goes on, but you can read (I assume. I mean, you couldn't be bothered to do the most rudimentary of google searches...).

And seriously, you think that this is how they're going to close Gitmo? Do you REALLY think that this has ANYTHING to do with it? If anything, stuff like this (which, again, is pretty safely not illegal, even if it flirts with gray areas in a way certain to be stirred up by partisan blowhards) makes it more difficult for that to happen.

What happened here is a president deciding to not leave his troops behind as POWs and making a nasty deal in order to accomplish that. It was well within the scope of the president's powers, it was well within historical precedent, it is something that is important to our country, to NOT leave soldiers behind, captured by the enemy, even when they have failed and screwed up as this one almost 100% did. We aren't a country that fails to get our people back.

Do I personally think that this deal is messed up? Hell yes. Of COURSE I do. Do I think it would be messed up if an American soldier was held in perpetuity by the Taliban? Hell yes. But on the other hand, do I think that holding people in perpetuity without ever charging them for crimes, without enough evidence to actually prosecute them, is a HUGE violation of our constitution and everything our country stands up for? Hell yes.

This is not a cut and dried situation and the ideas you are getting up in arms about are cute and all, but they lack any real basis in the law. Stop saying things that are pretty clearly within reason are impeachable, stop trying to claim that the US gets to try people for crimes committed in other countries, and stop trying to make something out of nothing. Obama has been a pretty terrible failure on a number of levels, as his presidency has been, with few exceptions (good ones, but few of them), continuations of the policies that Bush set in motion, and I see the handling of much of this as a continuation of those failures to be a progressive force for our country, but the hullaballo going on here is pure partisan insanity.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
:lol: Bullshit! After years of captivity in THAT country with THOSE people you would give everything to return home and wouldn't give two shits about who they release.
seriously.
gotta' love how TWD is suddenly Sergeant Honorable Justice.

he'd take the first flight home like anyone else.
no, but I also talk a big game when I don't actually have to front. so at least he and I have that in common...

Last edited:

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Come on, Herm. If you're going to make a politically based insult, at least put some effort into it. :shake:

Use liberetards. It has the same appeal as conservatards, plus you don't have to worry about insulting libertarians because they get libertardians. Isn't that great? And the best part is that it took me all of two seconds to think up. Think of what you could accomplish if you put that much effort into your posts! :eek:

The bolded portion accurately describes you. So does what comes after it, as liberals, gays, the poor, and all the other groups of people that you've complained about here are all part of America, just like conservatives (shocking, I know).

In all seriousness, how about instead of trying to get regular posters to leave a forum on which you never post except for political trolling, you go back to your own echo chamber and keep making those creepy "analyses" of the posters you don't like. Or you could go to Stormfront or Free Republic, I'm sure they would welcome you with open arms. You're clearly not happy with this place, and I'd hate to see you make yourself suffer. :(

You. I like you. Seems like all the Al's here at BuF are pretty awesome ;)

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
8000 people missing in Korea, 2300 people missing in Vietnam.

Just pointing that one out.

That's comparing apples to Banana Foster. There are no instances of us knowing about someone being held and then failing to get them. There were certainly people held/killed in places we didn't know about, and so we were unable to return them/their bodies, but these weren't soldiers we knew were being held that we failed to return, it was just the unfortunate chaos of war.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
The chorus of voices calling for Bowe Bergdahl to be court-martialed is receiving much attention. Media Matters, a nonprofit media watchdog group, has documented the Fox News Channel’s unrelenting campaign against Bergdahl, and the demonization of his family. The New York Times challenged the claim, tirelessly repeated by CNN, MSNBC and others, that six to eight soldiers died while searching for Bowe Bergdahl in the weeks and months after he went missing.

Other, perhaps better informed people, who get too little space in the mainstream media, have more nuanced responses to the prisoner-of-war swap. Retired Air Force Col. Morris Davis was the chief military prosecutor at Guantanamo Bay until he resigned in 2007. He told me, “I just don’t know how you end a war without talking to the other side.” In response to the criticism that the five Guantanamo prisoners swapped for Bergdahl were high-level terrorists, Davis said, “ wasn’t familiar with any of these names ... we had more than 12 years. If we could have proven that they had done something wrong that we could prosecute them for, I’m confident we would have done it, and we didn’t.”

The late Rolling Stone journalist Michael Hastings reported on Bowe Bergdahl, quoting emails from Bowe to his parents that were very critical of the U.S. occupation. Bowe wrote, “I am sorry for everything here.” At the end of Sean Smith’s video shot in Idaho, we hear Bob Bergdahl quietly remark about the U.S. war in Afghanistan: “I think this is the darkening of the American soul. It is where the guilt comes from, because you are being told you are helping, but you know on the inside that you are not.”

Common Dreams: Bergdahl, Afghanistan, and the Darkening of the American Soul

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Other, perhaps better informed people, who get too little space in the mainstream media, have more nuanced responses to the prisoner-of-war swap. Retired Air Force Col. Morris Davis was the chief military prosecutor at Guantanamo Bay until he resigned in 2007. He told me, “I just don’t know how you end a war without talking to the other side.” In response to the criticism that the five Guantanamo prisoners swapped for Bergdahl were high-level terrorists, Davis said, “ wasn’t familiar with any of these names ... we had more than 12 years. If we could have proven that they had done something wrong that we could prosecute them for, I’m confident we would have done it, and we didn’t.”

Common Dreams: Bergdahl, Afghanistan, and the Darkening of the American Soul

It's important to note that the military tribunal system this guy speaks of was dissolved by Obama not long after this guy left. The system was slow because they didn't want to look bad if someone was found innocent. I find the claim that if we could have prosecuted we would have to be dubious. Nobody ever tried. There's a whole slew of political reasons why they weren't tried. I'm still confident that at least Fazl could have been prosecuted.

Last edited:

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
All Als report to Germany. Hitch a ride with cryptophreak or dragonfliet if necessary. Hahaha. You too AlCapowned and ambershee.

Would you folks let your parents or grandparents read this stuff you write here??? I know many if not most of you progressive-liberals are disadvantaged children from broken homes but back when you visited your dad or dads or whatever your "special" situation was on the weekends would you have dared to show them this crap you write? How about now? I would bet some of you have or had grandfathers that would slap the spit right out of your mouths if they knew the things you believe in and defend here. You are a bunch of sick, pathetic f***s that I'm ashamed to have in my country. On a side note, I defended your rights to be that way and would again as sure as you wouldn't do the same for me because it would interfere with some awful belief you had sort of like this soldier we're talking about here. Yes, I hold each of you liberals here with the same disdain as that guy.

On another note, If I sure as hell am not a nor could ever be a crappy Liberal in any fashion and don't want to be Republican anymore because I agree they pander to money and power too much and have failed me halfway as bad as Democrats have AND if I'm not a Libertarian (since they tend to not give a damn about things and I do) then what party is left? Here's an example of one of "my beliefs" to chew on. I think being gay is wrong. I know marriage can only be between a man and a woman. I think if gay people want to sign into a legally binding civil union (contract) then they should be allowed to do so as long as "marriage" isn't a word used in said contract.. Have fun with that for a while. CYA Biatcheneeses!

I enjoyed again how TWD drops all to info and proof you can stand in your face again and you still decline to except it. one of you even made it all the way back to blaming Bush again. LOL.

I need to find that Ant and the Grasshopper story again and share it here.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
my country.

That's your problem right there. It's not yours.

Saying gay people can get married as long as they can't call it married is like saying a black guy can eat a steak as long as they can't call it a steak. You're passively oppressing people.

Murder is wrong. Stealing, also wrong. Being born a certain way isn't wrong because it's beyond anyone's control. If you can't understand that then there's no reason to even discuss things with you.

Either way, keep your oppressive thoughts to yourself. This forum isn't the place for it. You have your own forum. Why don't you go philosophize there?

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
Normally I stay out of political threads. I guess I'll indulge myself just this once. :rolleyes:

All Als report to Germany. Hitch a ride with cryptophreak or dragonfliet if necessary. Hahaha. You too AlCapowned and ambershee.

I don't understand you at all. You said earlier that you would fight to the death (or something along those lines) for people to be able to have the freedom to hold their own views even if you disagree with them, but then you go ahead and essentially say "I don't agree with you, so get out." Make up your mind already.

I know many if not most of you progressive-liberals are disadvantaged children from broken homes but back when you visited your dad or dads or whatever your "special" situation was on the weekends would you have dared to show them this crap you write? How about now?

Acting as though having two dads is somehow unnatural. I would expect nothing less from you, Hermskii.

Considering that most Americans are far more moderate than you, I assume that you would be more likely to get the spit slapped out of you if you told someone what you believe.

I would bet some of you have or had grandfathers that would slap the spit right out of your mouths if they knew the things you believe in and defend here.

Generational beliefs change. I'm sure there are some things that people's grandfathers believed that would make their grandfathers slap them.

You are a bunch of sick, pathetic f***s that I'm ashamed to have in my country.

This is my problem with extreme-right conservatives; they always act as though America is somehow theirs by right. I hate to have to tell you this, Hermskii, but this is not your country. If you don't like the fact that there are people with differing religious or political views, do yourself a favor and move to Saudi Arabia. I know it's an Islamic state and you don't exactly like Muslims, but it's probably closer to your ideal nation than the United States could ever be.

On a side note, I defended your rights to be that way and would again as sure as you wouldn't do the same for me because it would interfere with some awful belief you had sort of like this soldier we're talking about here. Yes, I hold each of you liberals here with the same disdain as that guy.

I don't get it, how can you say you defended people's rights to hold different opinions than you, but then turn around and say that they should get out? Either you believe that people should be able to have their own views, or you don't. Choose one and leave it at that.

On another note, If I sure as hell am not a nor could ever be a crappy Liberal in any fashion and don't want to be Republican anymore because I agree they pander to money and power too much and have failed me halfway as bad as Democrats have AND if I'm not a Libertarian (since they tend to not give a damn about things and I do) then what party is left? Here's an example of one of "my beliefs" to chew on. I think being gay is wrong. I know marriage can only be between a man and a woman. I think if gay people want to sign into a legally binding civil union (contract) then they should be allowed to do so as long as "marriage" isn't a word used in said contract.. Have fun with that for a while. CYA Biatcheneeses!

Just going off of this tangent, I'm guessing you want America to be an Ecclesiastical state. I hate to break it to you, but modern day America is incompatible with strict religious laws. Luke 16:18 (Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery) would not go over well with a whole lot of people.

If you believe that gay marriage is wrong because of the bible, you must also believe that divorce, eating shellfish, and marrying non-virgins is also wrong. Why don't you attack those things with the same vitriol that you do with gay marriage?

I enjoyed again how TWD drops all to info and proof you can stand in your face again and you still decline to except it.

dragonfliet and others have also given some good information that you conveniently chose to ignore. Rather than try to put some effort into an actual argument, you've pretty much just been trolling this thread the entire time.

And as for the Bush/Cheney/Terrorist comparison, I would argue that it makes some sense. We "know" that all of these people have done awful things, but our knowledge is not validated until our suspicions are proven in a court of law. You could even take it a step further and include our current president in with the bunch. We "know" that Obama has used drone warfare to demolish entire villages, but nothing will become of it unless he is convicted. Like the alleged terrorists and the members of the Bush administration, he hasn't been convicted for any crimes, so nothing will legally happen to him. It sucks, but that's how it works in this country.

Like it was said before, Hermskii, if you don't like the fact that people with views contrary to yours can post here, go somewhere else. If you're looking for an echo-chamber, there's always your own forum. Quite frankly, you come off as the type of person who is so insecure about themselves, their lives, and their faith that you have to shout it from the rooftops and post on a forum dedicated to videogames to give yourself some kind of validation.

Since I spent the time addressing your rant (it's obvious that the Als struck a nerve), I guess I'll weight in in the issue discussed in the thread. dragonfliet said it better than I ever could:

Do I personally think that this deal is messed up? Hell yes. Of COURSE I do. Do I think it would be messed up if an American soldier was held in perpetuity by the Taliban? Hell yes. But on the other hand, do I think that holding people in perpetuity without ever charging them for crimes, without enough evidence to actually prosecute them, is a HUGE violation of our constitution and everything our country stands up for? Hell yes.

I would argue that a lot of the criticism of the deal is based around pure partisan politics. If it had been president Romney making the deal, how many conservatives would be criticizing it? Certainly not John McCain, who previously said that making an exchange should be on the table. Not to say that partisanship is not on the other side of the isle...

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Hermskii, what the heck are you talking about? Somehow our ridiculing the false idea that this was an impeachable offense (it wasn't) is something we would be ashamed of telling our grandparents? And in between that and a completely bigoted "belief" against gay people getting married (demonstrating essentially no understanding of what marriage is) you then insisted that we wouldn't let you spew your crazy nonsense, though you would let us? Or something? And apparently we don't work for our country because...I'm not sure, because of an Aesop's fable somethingsomething?

This entire ordeal is completely blown out of proportion by people without any real understanding of what is happening, how or why.

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010

Thanks, but I like it here. Given that dragonfliet is actually debating the issue of the OP, and you can't be assed to defend your opinions, I'd say that he likes America more than you do. He's willing to think about his country, and you aren't. If you really cared, you wouldn't make every single one of your posts make Texas look like the big trailer park full of inbreds that so many people believe it to be. I mean, I know it's not like that at all, but you aren't improving its image.

Would you folks let your parents or grandparents read this stuff you write here??? I know many if not most of you progressive-liberals are disadvantaged children from broken homes but back when you visited your dad or dads or whatever your "special" situation was on the weekends would you have dared to show them this crap you write? How about now? I would bet some of you have or had grandfathers that would slap the spit right out of your mouths if they knew the things you believe in and defend here.

I don't know what my grandad's stance on gay marriage would be, as he died before I was born. However, based on how my dad raised me, I'd be willing to bet that my grandfather was a better parent to my dad than your dad was to you, and a better parent than you are to your children.

I'm comfortable with sharing my political opinions with my dad whenever something comes up. He's conservative, but unlike you and your father, he wouldn't hit me for sharing different opinions. He would rather debate with me, because unlike you, he's intelligent enough to articulate his beliefs without resorting to insults or violence.

Now, my grandma, on the other hand, would break her false teeth on your foot for your general rudeness.

You are a bunch of sick, pathetic f***s that I'm ashamed to have in my country. On a side note, I defended your rights to be that way and would again as sure as you wouldn't do the same for me because it would interfere with some awful belief you had sort of like this soldier we're talking about here. Yes, I hold each of you liberals here with the same disdain as that guy.

Your country? What gives you more of a right to this country than me? I don't see your name on it.

This just goes to show that you don't think anyone who doesn't hold your beliefs is as human than you are. Guess what pal, we all have hopes and dreams, whether we are straight, gay, conservative, liberal, rich, poor, and the list goes on. We have dreams of making something of ourselves and bettering our society. The American Dream. You know what I'm saying?

America was founded on diverse people with diverse opinions, so your desire for so many people to leave is distinctly anti-American. And if you're anti-American, you're a pinko commie.

Which is fine, as pinko commies also have every right to be here. That's the great part about living in the Land of the Free.

On another note, If I sure as hell am not a nor could ever be a crappy Liberal in any fashion and don't want to be Republican anymore because I agree they pander to money and power too much and have failed me halfway as bad as Democrats have AND if I'm not a Libertarian (since they tend to not give a damn about things and I do) then what party is left?

Vote independent. If you don't want either of the two major parties to win, then take your vote away from them. It's common sense. Common, old-fashioned American sense.

Here's an example of one of "my beliefs" to chew on. I think being gay is wrong. I know marriage can only be between a man and a woman. I think if gay people want to sign into a legally binding civil union (contract) then they should be allowed to do so as long as "marriage" isn't a word used in said contract.. Have fun with that for a while. CYA Biatcheneeses!

That's fine, you have every right to your beliefs. You could get an education, become a politician, and try to make your beliefs a reality. Instead, you're sitting on your fat ass and ranting to random strangers on the internet. You do care about marriage, but only because it gives you something to complain about, something that you feel the need to "protect" so you can feel like you're doing some good in the world without actually doing anything. If you genuinely cared, you would do something worthwhile, but you're just one of those people who want to feel persecuted because you have no idea what real persecution is like.

That being said, you do not "know" that gay marriage is between one man and one woman, because it isn't defined that way in plenty of states across the US. It's like looking at the sky in Texas and saying that America's sky is blue.

you can stand in your face again and you still decline to except it.

Again, you have done this countless times. There's no need to bring facts into play when you aren't debating, though.

Well Herm, I'm glad you got all of that off your chest. Like I said before, you don't need to stay here.

You could leave this forum and improve your life so you wouldn't feel the need to post things like this in order to get some satisfaction out of it. Well, you could, but that would take effort on your part, wouldn't it? Never mind, then. You can keep posting until you have this forum to yourself, but plenty of people will make you work for it.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Watch this: I'm a Lib-Tard. I didn't read anything you said because I didn't like your tone and felt it might hurt my feelings. Hey! That is pretty cool. No wonder you folks do it so often. Head in the sand is comfortable after all. Any comment on the facts for instance from TWD or do we have to suffer through just "your feelings" about my opinions? Funny too that my opinion gets attacked I'm guessing based on previous post replies yet you libs want me to respect your opinion. Awesome! Keep up the good work. Write longer posts too now that I will also ignore them. Thanks!

Teridex and Deathbooger report to Germany too.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net

I like how I'm being dragged into this even though I've contributed pretty much nothing to the thread. Don't worry thought Hermskii, I have no intention of settling within 500 miles of that dusty cesspool you guys have carved yourselves out over there.

Coincidentally, I've just spent a year living in Munich, and it's one of the nicest places I've ever lived - a place full of cultured, educated and above all, respectful people. I didn't have to deal with a single moron, homophobe or racist bigot the entire time I was out there.