Fileplanet closing down?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
Thanx Hal, I'll look into hosting possibilities then, I already tried a few freebie folks out there but there are so many restrictions on them and like FP ads ads ads.
Geocities exited out. Theres another one like that I think still active.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com

Blade_hunter

Unreal tournament mod dude
Jan 23, 2008
Sorry for digging up this thread, but there is some interesting things yeah like those non resorted files who were pretty much put into those subpar sites like Ram2000, random mod sites here and there (some of them were even wiped out for no reason); I managed to salvage some and put them at moddb, but I was a bit alone and that was mainly because some of those sites were broken during a vast period.

I can also despise the download manager who was forced if you were an internet explorer user (that made me mad and change browser from the get go)
the sort of artificial delays, the files who sometimes randomly disappeared.
This was worse than the shitty forced registration who was quite a crappy thing all by itself.

I think Fileplanet in itself was a good thing, but it was just poorly managed and done. I personally don't care about ads if they don't make browning and downloading being a painful process. but the site went acceptable when its frequentation diminished a lot.

I'm still sad though as I always like to get stuff from those sites for my old games

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Then you were lucky. Or only ever used it in the last 3-4 years.

Back around 2000, they were consistently slow, had long wait times, and ads out the wazoo. This also came with a push to get more advertising on planet sites and abandon independent forums for ForumPlanet, which was and still is literally one of the worst forum softwares ever created. FilePlanet simply represents a time in GameSpy's life that was not very good.

Gamespy's life is not a good time in Gamespy's life. May the whole system burn in hell.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
The problem is that when these old sites finally go down, they might take a lot of files with them....files that may not see the light of day again. I have spent a lot of time on fileplanet trying to grab what I can before it all goes down.

Does anyone have an archive of these files anywhere? I mean, I agree that the site sucks, but for a time it was a popular place to host content.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I have sh*tload of files for Unreal and all 4 UT-series games....not a lot of mods but mostly maps, some mods, some SP maps stuff, voices, skins, etc. I might not have everything people want, but it is a lot. Here's a quick rundown of the size of subdirectories:

Unreal > 3.56 GB
UT > 11.2 GB
UT2003 > 4.11 GB
UT2004 > 11.4 GB
UT3 > 45.5 GB

Now, some of this is patches and other stuff, but just letting people know that I have stuff. The next step is putting it up for download. Let me know if anyone wants to host this at anytime in the future. I can upload it somewhere.:)

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
SkaarjMaster;

Cool! I hope included in your (and my) collections are the files that were on Fileplanet. That was kinda what i meant; what happens to all of those files when a place like that closes? Are they "stored" somewhere or just deleted into cyber ether?

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I know it wasn't on fileplanet but I still wonder about the old "Index.unr" lobby map that was at unreal.epicgames.com/Files/Index.unr and was referenced from the servertips page. It hasn't been archived and the link went dead after a while too. It was useful before the 220 patch and gamespylite and integrated server browsers. I hope someone still has it archived.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
You still think its out there? Call me skeptical, but I think its a myth; never actually seen, just mentioned....once.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
You still think its out there? Call me skeptical, but I think its a myth; never actually seen, just mentioned....once.
The file used to be there, it's not a myth, if you saw my old thread about it you'd know that. Several people remember this map and i remember seeing it on the screenshots too. Far from being a myth.
If you'd go by that logic, all the originally leaked and almost forgotten unreal betas and alphas would be a myth too (which one or two is still out there).

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
The file used to be there, it's not a myth, if you saw my old thread about it you'd know that.

If I didn't see that old thread, I wouldn't know that. And I didn't.

Anyhow, I guess we have a mission.

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
I prolly mentioned this elsewhere, but I recall getting on one of the early servers and they had a lobby map, no weapons, you ran thru some halls or wherever to go to an east coast or west coast server. Could have been custom made.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
It was custom made, because teleports on the map had to have servers IPs specified to work, so it was made either by the server owner or one of the patrons.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
It was custom made, because teleports on the map had to have servers IPs specified to work, so it was made either by the server owner or one of the patrons.
Actually I believe it was the map just edited by the server owner, so the only difference was the server URL difference. The original intact map coul have been only downloaded from epic's site. I remember how it looked based on screenshots, so if the map gets found even from cache we know which one it is. It had starship textures for sure.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Well, I downloaded about 600GB of .tar files from the archive and came up with about 8GB of Unreal series files, mostly UT and Unreal, but nothing on that file. I plan to keep digging but so far, no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.