It's here! Hyrulian's UT2k4 Message Colorizer!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
In a little under 2 hours, I have written up a program in Visual Basic that makes it easy to copy and paste the codes needed to colorize your name and say/teamsay messages in UT2k4!

Attached below are some screen shots of the program in action.

UPDATE!!

Thanks to Intruder, the Windows version of the UT2k4 Message Colorizer now has a preview window, much like the one seen in G-Lite's Linux version. Download the new version now!

Download Links:

UT2k4MC EXE: The UT2k4 Message Colorizer program by itself. Try this first. If you get errors (missing DLLs, OCXs, etc.) get the Installer instead (below).

UT2k4MC Installer: Easy-to-use installer comes with all the DLLs and OCXs necessary to run the program, along with an uninstaller.

UT2k4MC Source Code: Curious how this program works? You can download the complete Visual Basic 6 source code and take a look.

Attachments

• ut2k4mc1.jpg
    ut2k4mc1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 4,574
  • ut2k4mc3.jpg
    ut2k4mc3.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 3,535
  • ut2k4mc2.jpg
    ut2k4mc2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,952
Last edited:

Airek

May 17, 2004
Props Dude

Props Man, Great Find On The Color Names and even more the Prog. you made to make it easy. Nice :D

DonVincenzo

Nov 9, 2001
Visit site
Nice tool.
I get a "Runtime Error: 521 Cannot open Clipboard" whenever I click on the "Copy to clipboard!" button. Though copy/pasting works flawlessly so it's not that much of a biggie.

vaineh

May 17, 2004
do you know what the default character code is ?
like say i put in a colour, then after that wanted everything back to normal

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
vaineh said:
do you know what the default character code is ?
like say i put in a colour, then after that wanted everything back to normal

uh, just delete the colour codes?

DDRRE

Flesh is a design flaw.
Feb 13, 2004
Israel
Incorrect ;[
Dunno how, but what you just said isn't correct - I read it in the fraghouse.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
:hmm: I must say it's a good tool IF you already know how to use it. How about you add in a small tutorial to prevent your e-mail address from flooding with the same questions. Something like this one (feel free to copy/improve/remove grammar errors):
---
OVERVIEW:
UT2004 checks for certain symbols in texts, and it translates these symbols into colors. This program is made to easily allow players to insert the color symbols in their nickname and/or their typed messages.
USAGE:
Use 'Choose Color' button to select the color in which the text must be displayed ingame. Next, choose 'Use Color' to insert the symbols of the chosen color into the text area. All characters after these symbols will use this color in the game.
When you're done with your text, use 'Copy to Clipboard'. At this point you'll have to open your user.ini file, located in the \system subfolder of UT2004.
When you want your name changed, look for the 'Name=' line, located in the [DefaultPlayer] section (at the beginning of the file) and paste the content of the clipboard.
To make a colored speech, search a key and change the line to '<key>=say <pasted message>' or '<key>=teamsay <pasted message>'.

KNOWN BUGS:
-your name can't be longer than 20 characters. This number includes color characters (each color uses 4 symbols), so don't overuse the colors. If you do have more characters, only the first 20 of them will be shown. Text messages don't have this limitation.
-Whenever your colored name is shown in a text message ingame the rest of the message will show up in this same color. So basically: whenever you're saying something or giving orders your text will appear in the last color used in your name (unless you are saying something that already has a color symbol in it).
---
Other than that, I have some small suggestions:
-Is it possible to add a preview area that shows how the text will appear ingame?
-make the window a little bit smaller so only 20 characters are shown instead of 22
-remove the '!' in the 'Copy to Clipboard!' option (yes, it's splitting hairs; don't bother pointing that out :rolleyes: )

Oh, did I tell you it's a good program? Well...it is :tup:

the_joyrider

May 18, 2000
come.to
there is one more bug caused buy the color system!
no one likes riddles it seems :p
if u used %p in demo / screenshot mask and u got a color code using an invalid filename character, ure demo's / screenshots won't be saved anymore

another bug using partial colorcodes or only a colorcode will result in ure name being changed randomly, changes the ingame msg's & colors, say & teamsay doesn't show ure name just text.

epic should disable test code & not let it be active servers em right soon a lot of people will be using the system to mess up everything ingame

Last edited by a moderator: