Windows 8 Preview is live

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
and Microsoft, Google, and Apple realize that touch based tablets is where the growth is.
Fine. But don't force people who don't have touch based tablets to use an interface designed for touch based tablets.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Been running the consumer preview on my laptop for a while now. The stuff they did with the desktop part is really nice. I like the new task manager and copy dialog. The metro menu is kind of retarded to use with a mouse/kb but I ended up just using it pretty much like the win7 start menu. Press windows key and start typing app name, then hit enter. Works for me. And if they screw it up more there is always Launchy which I am using on Win7 on my desktop. Don't even use start menu anymore.

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
I liked the consumer preview. didn't mind much of metro, but I didn't really use my laptop for much powerusage.
the only complain I have is the LACK of metro apps, meaning that each time you want to launch an application, you go back to the desktop. I'd like to see more apps in the metro interface to feel some cohesion.

I think that metro could be very good once you've sorted everything you want to see on the start screen. it's basically a desktop but with intelligent icons, which is good since I tend to never put stuff on the desktop.

release preview has improvements on multi-screens. definitely gonna upgrade ! :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The problem with Metro is that it's all one app (someone did say you could do two... but what?). I'm regularly using 5-6 windows at a time. Metro just gets in my way, aside from the fact that it's completely unusable with a mouse. Everything I've read from people who like it is because they've learned all the keyboard combinations to accomplish tasks. I don't want to learn that crap.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
so... the ultra modern GUI is usable if you can learn the keyboard shortcuts? :lol:

Re-inventing the wheel and getting a puncture before you've got it on the car.

failboat.jpg