Beta testing ne one?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
M

Matthias

I am looking for someone to try my map out, and give me suggestions on how to make it better. It is my first map, intended for classic mode, and there are a few things I am extremely proud of in there =O
e-mail me for the map:
newmillcyber@earthlink.net

------------------
L8r

W

Warren

You're more than welcome to email it to me at jwarrent@catalyticconversions.com - I'll playtest it and let you know of any obvious bugs.. as long as it's not over 3MB- otherwise I'd rather download from a link..

R

RaekwoN

BETA TESTING RESULTS:

Ok, where to start...

My specs:
PII 233
64MB SDRAM
12MB VoodooII

-Outside Area-

The first thing that struck me about this area was the amount of polys. The area ran fine until a bit of action occurred. I tested
it mainly with 7 bots, in standoff mode, 4 a side. It was all smooth until there was 5 or so bots in the area. I am assuming that you haven't lit the outsude area yet, when you do that will more than likely place more strain on the system.

-CONNECTIVITY-

Unfortunately your map lacks fairly badly in this area, I do realise it is only in beta, but beta is beta. If the map is unfinished then it should be in what we call 'alpha' stage. Once your crawl spaces are finished that should add something to the interior area, however the outside leaves much to be desired. The lack of entrances to the inside area greatly effects the way the map is played. I think I only found one possible way to enter the main interior area and that was through the door. The whole time I played bot matches all I had to do was hang back with my gun aimed at the door, waiting for them to come out. Once inside I found the areas to be much too linear, it was often just a case of running the same lines over and over.

-OPEN AREAS-

I also found that the map had too many large empty spaces. I don't know about everyone else but generally people don't like running around in large areas simply strafeing and firing at one another, so all I can do is suggest cover.

-DOOR-

The door should be set to return when encroached, sure it's cool to have it kill every now and then, but with time it gets pretty damn annoying.

-ARCHITECTURE-

You have added some pretty cool looking stuff (the pillars), but the key is this...don't concentrate on having a select group of interesting architecture, either make the whole map interesting or make semi-complicated architecture throughout, don't have plain rooms with a single fancyish peice of architecture in the center.

Well I have been pretty harsh, I will give you a copy of my map, InF_GhettO when I release it some time next week, and you can do the same.

I'm out.

RaekwoN

R

RaekwoN

Forgot.

You have done a whole bunch of cool technical stuff, the thing is it just doesn't need to be there, don't do it if it's not necessary.

Keep it real I say. Advocate of Realism

RaekwoN

M

Matthias

One thing, no you haven't been harsh, criticism is necessary so one knows what he is doing wrong. I want to thank you on every thing you have said about my map, and, well, it needs work! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Matthias (edited 09-03-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Matthias (edited 09-03-1999).]

H

Hodag

My God!!! A humble mapper!!!!!

------------------
Adam C.
-------
Oh Great... another Mac
fanatic...

M

Matthias

Another thing is that I want to keep the cool and unrealistic stuff in my stage, I just think that every stage for infiltration is perfectly realistic, and, well, I think at least one stage needs to add a tiny bit of futuristic "spice". I mean, having realistic stages for a realistic mod makes sense, but I like to be different and if other people don't like the stage because it is different, it will still be special to me for the sole reason that I made it, I had fun doing it, and it is my first one. I do agree that a major problem with it is that it is "running the same lines over and over". And I am fixing it plus adding more, but not too much,(anyway not too much by my standards.) out of present-time things in my first ever stage. Multi-keyframed movers are annoying to make! I had to say that, hehe. Thanks again for giving me such a detailed description of problems in my stage, and I look forward to seeing the ghetto!

------------------
L8r