Alternatives to UnrealEd?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DrWinky

i didnt do evil school to be called Mr
Jun 20, 2001
UK
Visit site
hello all,

After some severe annoyance with unrealEd 2.0 ive decided to throw it int a burning car and fire it to Hull. Now i seek an alternative program to construct a bunch of maps.

Any suggestions?

Thanx in advance.

DrWinky

also, what the hell does ohmed mean?

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
UED can be annoying but it's specifically designed for the job. As such its the best program for the job. Apart from that, I dont think there is another editor.

DrWinky

Jun 20, 2001
UK
Visit site
Damn UnrealEd to Hull!

Hello again all.

After much deliberation, ive decided to restrict creating mods to the half-life engine.

Why i hear u cry? well, no, probably not, but i'll continue as if i did.

UnrealEd is a pile of festering rhinoserous jism. I followed a basic tutorial, not really hard, made a simple room, and tried to insert a player start, but BUFF all happened. Anyone? can ya help me, or should i just retire, and not tax my simple mind any longer?

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Ued is hard at the beginning, but you can make really complext brushes once you get the basic principles. WorldCraft is one big nightmare :eek:

We got an editing forum here. Maybe you should post your questions there.
Don't forget to rebuild (F8) the map after every major change and before you play it.

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Re: Damn UnrealEd to Hull!

Originally posted by DrWinky
Hello again all.

After much deliberation, ive decided to restrict creating mods to the half-life engine.

Why i hear u cry? well, no, probably not, but i'll continue as if i did.

UnrealEd is a pile of festering rhinoserous jism. I followed a basic tutorial, not really hard, made a simple room, and tried to insert a player start, but BUFF all happened. Anyone? can ya help me, or should i just retire, and not tax my simple mind any longer?

One of the menus will allow you to view the code (see menus at the top, File Edit etc... its on of them)

I'll show a load of things, expand Actor, expand navigation point, select playerstart and the right click somewhere on your map and click player start from the popup that appears

Cablebait

May 23, 2001
canada
Visit site
unrealed

hehe..yes the editor can be a real pain till you praccy with it for a while like maybe 10-20 hrs..then youll be off n ready for the bigtime.There is a terrain builder that u can pickup from fordy's site here at pu,also some new buttons wich help in your quest to make map building easier.Here is a link that really helped me get started...http://unreal.gamedesign.net/...wolf...BTW your problem with the player start is this....when u last played a game u prob had several bots in play..therefore when u started up your map for testing with only one player start it wasnt enuff to accomadate all the bots tryn to spawn at the same time.Hope this helps ..

DrWinky

Jun 20, 2001
UK
Visit site
but mines knackered

alright everyone,

Final words before i set the redeemer on my hard drive.

I have followed a tutorial, and it is impossible to put a player start on the map. I tried exactly as suggested in one of the posts above. Nothing happens. No icons appear or anything. Compiled it or whatever its called, tried to run. No player start. No matter how many times i try, or in what window, it just doesnt work.

In case its my computer, here are my specs.

AMD K-6 350 MHz

156 Mb of RAM

Voodoo 2 graphics card

and one totally toss motherboard, which is the limiting factor on my PC.

I dont know if this will have any bearing on my ability to do one thing in a program, but i discovered that i cant play music at the same time as mapping, oh well.

I hope someone can help me with this problem, cause i really dont want to have to use Half-life for this mod/map.

cheers all

PS maybe i just need to DL the editor again, so if someone has the link to that it would be useful (Ive tried lookin, but im a m0)

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
And NEVER EVER add actors in the 2d windows!
Always in the 3d window

Yeah, and this should really be in the editing forum