Unreal Engine 3 <3's Windows 8

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
So we got this press release stating that Unreal Engine 3 is running fabulously well on Windows 8... which I would fully expect. I suppose it's more of an "awareness" kind of release and here it is:

Epic Games, Inc., in collaboration with NVIDIA, today presented the first public demonstration of Unreal Engine 3 (UE3) running on Windows 8 and Windows RT during Asus' press conference at the IFA 2012 electronics trade show in Berlin.

A live, real-time demonstration of Epic's "Epic Citadel" app, which has been released for iOS and Flash, was shown on the Asus Vivo Tab RT, the device formerly known as Tablet 600.

"The Unreal Engine 3-powered 'Epic Citadel' demonstration for Windows RT tablets implements our full DirectX 9 pipeline, with shaders and materials, all running beautifully on Tegra 3," said Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games. "By porting the full engine as opposed to a modified mobile version, NVIDIA and Epic have made it easy for UE3 developers around the world to bring their best content to Windows RT, Windows 8, and NVIDIA's Tegra 3 processor. Windows RT code is available to licensees from Epic now and we're excited to see the great games they develop with it."

Heading to PAX? Catch Epic's senior technical artist and level designer, Alan Willard, who will be presenting the real-time Unreal Engine 4 "elemental" demonstration.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I love this non-news.

I also have to laugh that Epic is promoting their support for Windows RT and are still doing squat for the largest smartphone OS worldwide also known as Android.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
They're saying that it will work on Windows 8 ARM, not (just) Windows 8 x86.

But yeap, what's with not supporting Android/Linux and GNU/Linux...

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I suppose it's more of an "awareness" kind of release and here it is

The significance is that it runs on Windows RT, which isn't x86. This also probably means you can expect to run games with a graphical fidelity similar to or better than 360 games on Surface. Take that iPad.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
I love this non-news.

I also have to laugh that Epic is promoting their support for Windows RT and are still doing squat for the largest smartphone OS worldwide also known as Android.

It does run on Android, though. The problem is that there are too many different Android devices with so many different hardware configurations that make it difficult to release UE3 based stuff on Android.

I'm probably out on a limb here but I doubt too many Android users actually know the exact hardware specs of their phone/tablet and seeing an "app" on the Google Store you'd probably expect it to just work on your device - which might not be the case since all kinds of manufacturers build their own Android devices with all that different, potentially outdated hardware.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It does run on Android, though. The problem is that there are too many different Android devices with so many different hardware configurations that make it difficult to release UE3 based stuff on Android.

I'm probably out on a limb here but I doubt too many Android users actually know the exact hardware specs of their phone/tablet and seeing an "app" on the Google Store you'd probably expect it to just work on your device - which might not be the case since all kinds of manufacturers build their own Android devices with all that different, potentially outdated hardware.
That's not all that true, though. First, the Play Store lets you specifically say "these devices cannot run this" or even specify which ones can.

Second, Dungeon Defenders is UE3 and on Android and it runs on probably 85%+ of the Play-supporting Android devices out there (the exceptions are probably all low-end e-readers and chinese tablets with low ram). Those devices probably make up 98% of the market, too.

I won't say it's as good as consoles, but if you're talking about getting something that will work for most people almost all of the time (which is, frankly, as good as iOS support gets, too) Android is already there. Google has solved every problem that Epic has whined about. It's time for UDK to support a platform that doesn't cost you an arm, a leg, and your scalp just to develop a cheap game that probably won't make you a ton of money.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
That's not all that true, though. First, the Play Store lets you specifically say "these devices cannot run this" or even specify which ones can.

Second, Dungeon Defenders is UE3 and on Android and it runs on probably 85%+ of the Play-supporting Android devices out there (the exceptions are probably all low-end e-readers and chinese tablets with low ram). Those devices probably make up 98% of the market, too.

I won't say it's as good as consoles, but if you're talking about getting something that will work for most people almost all of the time (which is, frankly, as good as iOS support gets, too) Android is already there. Google has solved every problem that Epic has whined about. It's time for UDK to support a platform that doesn't cost you an arm, a leg, and your scalp just to develop a cheap game that probably won't make you a ton of money.

Hear, hear!

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
No surprise there. Epic sold their asses long time ago and all they care about now is $$$. Valve are an exception to the Win8 rule, but still greedy SOBs. The PC scene needs some open source revolution...

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Content is largely agnostic to DirectX version. The word refers to the actual assets and sometimes the gameplay code.

Besides, pretty much all games are still Dx9 anyway.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
From what I gather, there's a licensing issue that prevents UDK directly supporting Android.

It's been a few years, they could have sorted it out by now. But it's just one of the many signs that Epic isn't much of a PC company.

What's a bit more interesting I think is that they are forming up on the opposite side of the likes of Valve, iD, and some others that I forget, who publicly aren't thrilled about what Windows 8 holds for PC gaming. Maybe they're hoping for a Microsoft buyout?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
From what I gather, there's a licensing issue that prevents UDK directly supporting Android.
It's probably the same issue that kept UT3 from supporting Linux and keeps UDK from supporting Linux. I'd love to know who is causing this issue so we can leave flaming bags of dog crap on their doorstep.