UT/Unreal games and Win8.1 compatibility

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Got a new laptop (gaming-type) even though also using for working at home and will act as a backup just in case my 5-year old XP computer crashes.

Well, I was checking to see how many of my WinXP programs (upgraded or not) I could still install in Windows 8.1 and I also decided to check games:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/compatcenter/home

Looks like no problem with UT3, UT2004 and UT-GOTY, but no information on Unreal 2 and UT2003. Also, Unreal Anthology seems to not be compatible at all. Is there any truth to any of this? Has anyone tried these games in Win8.1 yet? If some don't work after the straight install, can I change settings to get it to work? Thanks for any help.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Unreal 2 works without issues. UT2003 - I cannot say as I don't have it installed, however seeing UT2004 (and all other U/UT games) run on Win8.1 without issues, I think UT2003 should not have any issues as well.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Must be that not enough users are reporting on Unreal, Unreal 2, UT2003 as well as Anthology (as total package) to show in results. Still don't know why Anthology shows as not compatible though.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
According to Yahoo answers, people are saying that Windows 8.1 (eww) can run anything Windows 7 can. And if it can't for some reason, it should be launched in Compatibility Mode, and that is already standard operating procedure for gamers anyway.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Compare Windows 7 and 8, to choosing between XP and XP media centre edition.
The only reason for something to not work in 8 and it did in 7, is because MS borked something.

8 is just 7 wearing a different coat.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Unless I see something I really don't like (and I haven't yet), I think I'll stick with 8.1 and not apply the classic mode (Win7 GUI) fix. And I'll just start installing games and see what happens. I need to set up other stuff over the next few days first though.:)

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Haven't installed an Unreal game in 10 years except UT3. The others -UT, UT2K3, 2K4, U2 - just play from the folders dragged onto a drive.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
It needs user write perms to the parent dir. It may be worth trying an install to the current user dir instead of the drive root or program files dir. Iirc it may also need vc++ runtimes, possibly vb runtimes.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Are u talking about installing to another drive on the hard drive like D:? I have a D: drive on my new Win8.1 computer called Data (C: is called OS). I was wondering about that as well. I really want all my games on D: if possible just like this old WinXP computer.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I am still on Windows 7 Ultimate. I gave Windows 8 Pro a decent chance (three months) but it just wasn't worth it. There were more annoyances than new features. Then, the 8.1 update failed spectacularly and completely screwed the system, so I went back to 7.

medor

Mar 15, 2009
i run under Xp pro sp3 with dble amd.

i have set a 8.1 on a new HD and install UT99v3 ...just need to change opengl default with d3d9 ( no adjust to do it run perfect

I have to a server 2008 r2 standard it run with no one change direct default opengl.

What other game UT99 ? sacrilege not ^^

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I'll be trying OpenGL (with s3tc tex and upgraded ones from DieHard) for UT and D3 for all the others. Actually, not sure about Unreal, but however I installed it on this WinXP computer will be the way. Hopefully, I'll have no problems installing on the D: drive in Win8.1.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Keep in mind, however, that UT has a problem with multiple cores and you need to set it properly. I'm sure though that you already know that.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Keep in mind, however, that UT has a problem with multiple cores and you need to set it properly. I'm sure though that you already know that.

ah, yes, I'll be checking the ini files for sure.;)

It's not an ini tweak.

Once UT is launched you must open Task Manager and set the CPU affinity to just one core. If you're running a CPU with scaling capability you'll also need to use the -cpuspeed=xxxx argument in your shortcut.

Last edited: