JB-CellBlockA

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
Thanks, really trying to go for a moody and dark look. The lighting is being tweaked constantly to maintain the "atmosphere" that the map has.

"Update"
Ok, the arena is working now and almost half of the doors are. The arena still looks kind of like crap but when you will see it you will get the general idea quite well. This brings me to my next point...

I need to make showerheads for the arena and I want them to actually be spraying some water. I know that this is some kind of emitter but I haven't even the faintest idea of how to get this part done. (Modified "Rain" perhaps?) Any suggestions?

More screenies coming soon, maybe later today.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Emiiters I always found completely impossible, then I found the particle editor :D

Go into real time (so u see all the anims) Select a rain like texture, Place and emmiter, then fire up the particle emmiter (look under tools)
Set the texture to the rain one and play around with the settings

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
Suggestion for execution: teleport condemned to execution area and put them against the wall (use a blocking volume to keep them there). Once there, let a headshot volume move from one side to the other. Put up some army men at the other side of the room.

Pretty pic to show you ;)

Traditional execution!! :D

pic: green = blocking volume, red = headshot volume

Attachments

• exec.jpg
    exec.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
That execution is an interesting idea, and so far the only other thing I came up with was one involving getting killed by monsters that were your "cellmates". I had problems getting the monsters to do anything other than stand there and look stupid though.

Anyways, as I promised I have taken a bunch more screenshots for your viewing enjoyment! The doors are almost done, so I'm getting closer and closer to getting this ready for Beta testing.

Some of the screenies will be familiar, some will not. The last one is the arena and the others (with the bright green glow) are the basement.

Attachments

• Shot00160.jpg
    Shot00160.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Shot00161.jpg
    Shot00161.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Shot00162.jpg
    Shot00162.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Shot00163.jpg
    Shot00163.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Shot00164.jpg
    Shot00164.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 31

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
My thanks, although perhaps it is "Too" good. The editor now crashes every single time I try to rebuild the level, always in the begining of the "occlusion" phase when it rebuilds the lights. (right after "partitioning")

I checked the log, bunch of warning about the "Node Count" being exceeded, although that's not when the editor crashes.

:(

Edit: I removed a few of my zone portals and now it builds just fine. Even with the zone portals there I still only had about 40 zones in the map, so it shouldn't have been a problem anyways. Oh well, it works now.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

expisCoR

Thinktank for the "Head CoR JB Mapper"
Mar 12, 2005
West Chester, PA
Looks good so far.

Comments:

-The halls feel too tight, and I often got stuck on them (second and 3rd floor, along the cells).
-Would get stuck on the jail doors as they tryed to open (like at the start). Make them open faster/sooner?
-Nice to loose almost 75 health as I tryed to pass down the green-glowing hallway.

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
expisCoR said:
Looks good so far.

Comments:

-The halls feel too tight, and I often got stuck on them (second and 3rd floor, along the cells).
-Would get stuck on the jail doors as they tryed to open (like at the start). Make them open faster/sooner?
-Nice to loose almost 75 health as I tryed to pass down the green-glowing hallway.

Ok, the general populace (expisCoR and The_Head) have both informed me that the hallways are slightly too small for effective manuevering. As for the jail cell doors the mesh is the main problem, not the speed. The mesh will be changed for the final release of the map, and if enough people hassle me during the main beta testing I'll probably rebuild the mesh before then. The green glowing hallway will probably not do any damage during the beta testing and the final version.

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
Holy Necro Batman!

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about how long it had been since I updated this. I'm really looking to get back into mapping (especially with the arrival of UT3 Jailbreak on the horizon) and JB-CellBlockA will be the first one I do some more work on.

The_Head (and anyone else really), if you have any suggestions above and beyond what was already posted please let me know. I think I may have found a way for the walkways to be a bit bigger without sacrificing the "feel" of the map. I won't get a decent amount of time to work on it until Tuesday unfortunately, if anyone is interested in helping me with an execution scene (I'm thinking a Gas Chamber at the moment, I was originally going to use Monster "Cellmates" that killed the players, open to suggestions really) please let me know. Keep in mind that I don't know the first thing about scripting at all so if it becomes required for the execution I'm going to need help of some sort.

EDIT:
The headshot volume thing looks cool too and would probably be easier for me.

Last edited:

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
Ok, the updates so far:

Static Meshes:
Moved the railing that surround the walkways down a bit. This should help with making it easier to evade attacks by leaping off the walkways.
Deleted a lot of unused lights inside the vacant cells.

Lighting:
Deleted well over 50 various light actors that were doing a whole lot of nothing.
Improved the lighting in the Arena.

Zones:
Figured out a way to remove 4 seperate zone's completely by combining them together, this has drastically increased the map's stability in UED.
Added a fog volume in the Arena.

Arena:
Improved Lighting.
Added fog volume to simulate steam.
Added two particle emitters, now if only I could get them to stay working for longer than 40 seconds. I'm currently testing them to see how they do being triggered by the arena.
Added several static meshes for detail.
EDIT:
Fixed an issue with the Arena shower floor being too steep to walk across when transitioning out of the shower room itself.

Edit #2:
Green Goo Zone: Turns out that the issue with the floor in the arena shower room was the same thing that was happening here. Unfortunately I had to use a blocking volume on this one to fix it. Players and bots were getting stuck once they entered the green goo room because the slope on the floor to exit was a tad too steep. Works fine now.

Things still to be done:
Execution Sequence
Loading Screen
Scoreboard Minimap
Escape Route

Last edited:

Silas Mercury

May 28, 2005
Toledo Ohio
More Updates:

Execution Scene:
A perhaps temporary execution scene has been added for the red team. It's still being tweaked but looks promising. More details to follow if it's what I decide to use.

Escape Route:
The escape route has been added. Due to the nature of how one accesses it testing has been... difficult. It's definately possible to complete and both the red team and the blue team escape into the same area for even more competition. Out of the 8 cells per team only 1 has access to the escape route. The game assigns jailed players to their respective jails in a seeminly random fashion. Those two facts combined make it difficult for me to test the escape route without breaking the zone and moving the door out of the way. I can do that though for testing so it's not a problem.

Arena:
It appears that triggering the showers to turn on at the start of each arena match will work. Testing seems to back that theory up anyways.