Jailbreak 2004c: Bug fixes we've got already, so what about features?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RabidZombie

Freshly Removed Brains at half price!
Apr 29, 2004
Trueblood said:
Tag team? or Royal Rumble™? :)
a "tag" during a arena might end up making its own mod :eek: "unreal tag tournament" :lol:

Tag Team would be hard to add, as where are the non tagged players during it, and how are they tagged. Having all at once compliments only survivers escaping, then you actully HAVE to be in the action...

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
RabidZombie said:
Tag Team would be hard to add
The idea is the easy bit, but making it happen is the harder part :hmm:

*If you imagine a single room with two fighting with rocket launchers. One player gets seriously damaged (lets say 23hp left) and he retreats back to where he/she spawned from.
*Beside the room or maybe a cage up above the ring will be tag player waiting and watching with full health. Maybe have a health thingy spawn every 10 seconds (the thingy that gives 5 health :rolleyes: )
*So the Damaged player retreats back to a button or teleporter that swaps him/her with the tag player. The damaged player now waits and watches the continued fight, while resting (getting 5 health every 10 seconds)

When one player dies, the tag player is released with what ever health they have left to fight. Or you could have the tag player executed making it a team effort, rather then turn based battle.
:)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
I like the idea for 2on2.
The point I am about to bring up now was also brought up in the GOOJFC thread. Can you imagine trying to explain to a complete n00b how to tag etc. Its hard enough explaining how to play JB, because I have seen people join matchs online who haven't even read what the mod is...

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
hulkfigure69cp.jpg
`ave it !!!

RabidZombie

Apr 29, 2004
The_Head said:
I like the idea for 2on2.
The point I am about to bring up now was also brought up in the GOOJFC thread. Can you imagine trying to explain to a complete n00b how to tag etc. Its hard enough explaining how to play JB, because I have seen people join matchs online who haven't even read what the mod is...

Nice point, Tag would be hard to do, and has its down sides, but having it all in one is easier and less complex!

RabidZombie

Apr 29, 2004
Trueblood said:
thats why the tutorials are made....but do they watch it? noooooooooooooo :rolleyes:
you need a noob guide on "when and how to read instruction manuals" :)

I have to admit, getting ut99 recently (and not regretting it) I instaled jbIIIGold, and when the tutorial came up i went for a drink, i serpose i DO have jb2004 though, and I know the simple diferences like the ladder making and the release switch varying.

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
RabidZombie said:
I have to admit, getting ut99 recently (and not regretting it) I instaled jbIIIGold, and when the tutorial came up i went for a drink, i serpose i DO have jb2004 though, and I know the simple diferences like the ladder making and the release switch varying.
And after that ass kicking you got from me that time, you should know even though the gameplay is the same, there are still tricks for you to learn :)

Sexmachine

- retired -
Feb 5, 2002
Germany
www.planetjailbreak.com
Important feature (dunno if it's possible): Avoid character(s) spawning when entering a server before the player actually is in control of his character (it sucks to be put in jail at the very beginning or right after joining a game just because you got killed long before the loading screen has disappeared).

Last edited:

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
Sexmachine said:
Important feature (dunno if it's possible): Avoid character(s) spawning when entering a server before the player actually is in control of his character (it sucks to be put in jail at the very beginning or right after joining a game just because you got killed long before the loading screen has disappeared).
Until that time, you can win a lot by disabling "Preload all player skins" in the Game Settings. This option is on by default after installation of UT2004.

Last edited:

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
The way around that is going in spectator mode. By the time your computer loads, and everyone has said "hi" 2 mins ago, you can just press "join game" and there you go :p
Just need to make it so you have to click "ready" to join :)

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
Sexmachine, me and Cooldude did some server-setting testing, and we've found a property that delays the starting of the game to allow everyone time to join.

In the UT2004.ini file, scroll down to [Jailbreak.Jailbreak] and set the NetWait property to 20. That means that, from the moment the first player enters the map, 20 seconds is waited before the game starts. This is a good time for connections and loading speeds of all types.

However, this will only prevent spawn-killing at the start of the match. We were unable to find a property that would help those who join mid-game. So currently, TB's spectator mode method is the best way to join without the risk of immediate fragging.

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
Sexmachine said:
Important feature (dunno if it's possible): Avoid character(s) spawning when entering a server before the player actually is in control of his character
I know we had this conversation before somewhere, I can't recall where anymore. I believe the player is spawned by Epic, not by Jailbreak itself. Mych is it possible to detect if the player is finished loading the stuff? If so, could you remove his character temporary and re-spawn him later? Or give him protection until that time?

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
ZedMaestro said:
me and Cooldude did some server-setting testing
We noticed something else:
When in TournamentMode (players have to click before ready), in CTF the player who did not click yet gets the text "You are NOT READY!!! Press Fire". Also on the scoreboard I can see who did not click yet. In Jailbreak I only get the standard message "Press Fire To Start", but what's worse, I can't see in the scoreboard which player did not click yet. This is a could be a problem in battles.

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
CoolDude said:
We noticed something else:
When in TournamentMode (players have to click before ready), in CTF the player who did not click yet gets the text "You are NOT READY!!! Press Fire"
Dont you just HATE it when this one guy doesnt read the bold letters "NOT ready" ... or he`s AFK and gone to the toilet, making the whole server wait :eek:

Sexmachine

- retired -
Feb 5, 2002
Germany
www.planetjailbreak.com
ZedMaestro said:
In the UT2004.ini file, scroll down to [Jailbreak.Jailbreak] and set the NetWait property to 20. That means that, from the moment the first player enters the map, 20 seconds is waited before the game starts.
I have checked the MotherShip's INI and the NetWait value is set to 20 (but somehow it does not do the trick). :(

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
Remembered to save the ini and restart the server? ;)

I'm not sure what could be affecting that; The only thing that I think could possibly affect it is the MinNetPlayers (as its called in UT2004, not sure what the ini entry is called). Make sure its set to 1.

Its definitely a setting that will help for those who join from the previous map, so do anything to get it working :)

Edit
Oh dear, silly admin. It does work! I just tried it now and there was a noticeable delay before starting the map. It didnt seem like 20 seconds, but of course with this "joining while seeing the loading screen" business it could have been.
So thats a good step in the right direction :)

Last edited: