Pain2K4a3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
I don't know what it is. The explosion's the same as the rockets, except without the flame ring thing, 200 instead of 70 particles for the explosion, 25 instead of 15 particles for the smoke, and a lot bigger. I don't think it's ever lagged for me, either.

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
Smoke39 said:
...200 instead of 70 particles for the explosion
So many particles fighting over the z buffer means you get a huge drop in frames. Epic is guilty of it to, check out their new water splash effects. :p The regular explosion was at 70 for a reason ;) While youre at it, take a gander at the rest of your effects, im sure theres a few that are guilty of being too dense.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
I'll try to see if I can get it to still look nice with fewer particles. You think halving the number would be sufficient?

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
I decreased the particles to 100 and it still looks the same as far as I can tell without changing anything else. :p I'll let you guys see if that got rid of the lag once I get some more work on the flamer done. The flamer's primary's about done, and it won't let you fire underwater. I also made the railgun not fire underwater, what with it relying on electricity and all, plus it seems like a reasonable handicap for such a powerful weapon. Once I get a pilot flame effect on the flamer, I'll let you people play with it while I work on a secondary fire. :)

Eyegore

=================
Sep 4, 2001
Hanover
Flamethrower is real sweet, but maybe you could make the pilot a little more visible. Maybe just a little bit longer and slightly pale blue toward the tip, a little bit like a blow-torch.

The rocket grenade works much better, nowhere near as much lag.

Lot'sa fun

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Made the pilot flame bigger. Better?

Attachments

• pilotflame.gif
    pilotflame.gif
    47.7 KB · Views: 48

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
This is mostly so I don't forget all the crap I just did, but I'm about to test the flamer's new secondary fire, a blow torch, to see if it heals vehicles and stuff correctly (I'm already fairly certain that it gives team mates armor, though I can't actually see the bots' armor levels to be 100% sure). I also changed the way primary's projectiles check if they're hitting a team mate, and made vehicles unable to be set on fire, as well as monsters 'cause I don't wanna deal with adjusting the flames to their abnormal shapes and sizes.

I'll let y'all know how that all goes. ;)

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Just tested it in onslaught some, and the torch behaved correctly with vehicles and power nodes. You have to double jump to reach the power nodes hovering in the air, though. :\

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
You can? That's good to know. I'm not sure if I'll be able to teach the bots to use the flamer's secondary. I'll see how much of the link gun's code I can decipher.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Well I saw bots taking out the flamer when they got to a new power node in onslaught, but then they didn't do anything with it. :\ I did get the bots to like to use the railgun when fighting vehicles, though.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Already changed some stuff for a5. Bots should use the quadshot more intelligently, the third person muzzle flash works now, and it has recoil that kicks your view up more with each additional shell. Still not sure how I wanna implement explosive and bouncing buckshot.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Smoke39 said:
Machine gun and quadshot are the new weapons. Both are mostly done. I'd've worked on 'em a bit more before releasing if Neme wasn't so desperate for his quadshot. :b

Yep. I'm impatient, what can I say. :p

Thanks, downloading now :D

(and playing after work :mad: )

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
More changes for the next version:
rocket handgun death message displays the killer's name instead of %K
grappling hooks don't stick around when you die an' stuff anymore
grappling hooks forget their distance from you when you put the weapon down (so they start where they should if you put the weapon down when the hook's out and then bring it up and use it again)
can't load more shells than you have ammo for with the quadshot (okay, so I haven't actually tested this just yet <_<)
still tweaking bots' use of the quadshot

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Your sig is funny as hell. look at him go! :D

k, um.... the quadshot is great..... machine gun could do more damage but the grappling hook is pretty cool. The flamer makes UT2K4 die when using UT2004RPG (I told you about this already.) The rocket handgun feels like just a faster weaker Rocket Launcher and the Railgun is odd cause you can't control how much zoom you have (it automatically zooms to max when you click secondary. Maybe another UT2004RPG thing? But then again it doesn't affect any other zoom weapon this way at all......)

And whats up with the railgun not killing stuff inone hit, I used this in CTF with Invasion Everywhere to get Queens and Titans etc. and even though the Queens and Titans onlky have like 1000 or so health, I had to use like five or six shots to kill them. Needs to be like Instagib here, cause it IS a Railgun after all.

Overall me likey.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
I've been considering beefing the machine gun up a little bit for a while now. Just a tiny bit.
UT2004RPG is mean.
Does the rocket handgun bore you, then? What would you find more interesting?
The railgun should have two zoom levels. D'know what's happening in your case.
The railgun does 300 damage. If y'really want I could make it 10000000 or whatever like in P2K3. I don't actually remember now why I reduced it. o.o Anyway, it does 150 damage to vehicles, so it's pretty good against them. If I make the railgun über-powerful again, how effective should I let it be against vehicles?