Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
This infiltrator sets up Prism mines in our base, I nearly get a heart attack from one he set right at the top of our energy beam (Sunstar gen conduits) and it kills me.

2 seconds later he dies from one of my Claymore. :D
BAMKarma!

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Smoke work vs everything, but only for a few seconds. It doesn't change the behavior of you pack, it just puts on it's own effect, and turns your pack on. The smoke effect only lasts for 2 or 3 seconds, but yeah, it is full invis, no matter what for that time, I'm pretty sure.

I don't play INF a ton though, so I could be mistaken. I also only recently bought it, and sparingly used it, since it's comp banned.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I really doubt you're mistaken.

In fact I think one time the INF was immune to my Heavy Spinfuser right at the moment he used the Smoke grenade.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Chasing pays.

i18cxBWrHUIGs.jpg

I think they had 6-10 pathfinders, constantly trying to snatch the flag. I've not had this much fun in a while on Tribes, even though it was kind of a lame game. I wanted to go DMB or TCN to take care of our turrets or something, but I knew that if I stopped chasing, we would probably lose instantly.

We had a bad blood eagle infestation that game. I used orbitals twice on our base, got a tripple and a double.

edit: just realised I couldn't have gotten two tripples, since I only had one tripple kill accolade.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Chasing doesn't always pay, it's very conditional, just like a Mortar JUGG.

If you avoid killing and suicide everytime, you're not a well paid pathfinder and you feed the other team with credits. You have to at least bite at it, I never suicide unless I have a fucking noob Raider with shields and NJ5 spamming at me. Pointless fight for almost any class.

I started a game of Capture and Hold today for the kicks of it. Dropped a Orbital strike which gave me my first "team kill" medal ever. I join a ctf game I get a second "Team kill".

What the fuck. :D

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
It pays best vs rampant llama grabs, and mediocre cappers. The kind of slow grabs, where you don't even think about using nitrons, because you can easily kill them pre mid field.

I've had games like he describes, and with enough PTH's on offense, they are fast paced, and fun, and if you K out each time, you can effectively shut down said offense as a PTH. Between the Kill, the accolade, and the return, you're getting probably 10k credits a kill. When all of your kills are bonused, and you are getting objective credits, you score well.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Oh absolutely, it is very conditional. On a map like Templeruins I won't even bother. People are coming and going at 300km/h, there's no way you can chase that. You're better off going SEN or DMB.

And yea, I pretty much suicided after every return, since otherwise I wouldn't be ready to chase the next capper. They were literally grabbing the flag less than 8 seconds after I returned it, pretty much every single time. Most of the time I didn't even get my rage perk benefit.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Oh absolutely, it is very conditional. On a map like Templeruins I won't even bother. People are coming and going at 300km/h, there's no way you can chase that. You're better off going SEN or DMB.

Temple Ruins has been out of rotation since they completely fucked the layout in the last patch. It was only live for one day!

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Temple Ruins has been out of rotation since they completely fucked the layout in the last patch. It was only live for one day!

Open-air generators? What were they thinking?

They should design a map that uses boost pads in a giant tunnel.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Turrets at the bottom of pits away from the main playing area = most interesting design decision ever. Completely redundant defenses with no line of sight to anything that isn't sailing directly over the top of them?

Having both temple areas facing one another with line of sight was also a great move; SENs loved it since no other weapons had the range.

I know most people hated it since a pair of DMBs could make capping pretty difficult, but it was my favourite layout simply because it required players to actually fill their class roles rather than spam-fractal-press-k (looking at you Crossfire) or play generator wars (looking at you Tartarus).

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
One of their level designers (HiRezKate) flipped the fuck out when people complained about "Bella Omega" and I quote: "That's what you get for complaining" (/r/tribes downvotes anyone who goes against HiRezKate's reaction, go figure.), I wonder how the company reacts to criticism sometimes too. Like, what were their reactions in the studios when they've realized the new Temple Ruins was a bad move?

This guy who designed Permafrost is probably going to get a rain of shit once it goes live.

To be honest, I hardly find any of the newer maps they've made to be actually as enjoyable as most of the default ones. It's not about re-learning, but layouts design and how they decide to make something entirely different everytime, doesn't really work too well. More of the same thing is fine, just get a theme, no need for gimmicks like thick fog, suicidal/useless middle bridge, dynamic flag platform.

Like Hur, Flag stands are too static, let's do gimmicks, it's "cool" on paper.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
The issues are balance issues, that the balance department should be fixing, but instead they are trying to do it through mapping.

Gens are useless most times, because they require too much effort to keep alive. It's far too easy for a few heavies to crash in, clear everyone out with fractals, and down the generator, disc sniper turrets and radar on the way in, and generally just make a mockery out of base assets.

The wonderfully perceptive player base just thinks people don't defend them "because they aren't important enough, with that spawning loaded thing, and all."

So through maps, like bella, sunstar, and now permafrost, they are trying to "lean" other crap on the generator, so they have a good reason to waste more people on the ATG mini game.

The fog is about nerfing sentinels. Again, since they won't fix physics, and include ski friction, they need some OP hitscan to counter 300kph grabs, and as such, sentinels are where they are now. Fix physics, make it harder to maintain those speeds with friction, buff all forms of acceleration, and now chasing becomes viable, no longer need OP snipers, and BAM you don't need stupid map fog (not that map fog isn't welcome regardless, base to base sniping is meh).

Throw energy shielding on the generator and assets, revive the "our generator is under attack" announcement, bring the CC back, and get repairs on a HP/s basis, and generators will be a balanced addition to Tribes CTF again. Then you could even make vehicle stations, and inv stations destructible, and maybe, just maybe the naked spawns flag might actually not be terrible to play.

They've finally painted them selves into a corner though. With this last patch, it's become as evident as it ever has been how much physics, and assets shields are needed.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
To be fair, it shouldn't be possible to chase a 250+ grab. Something is wrong, if a chaser can catch up with a 250 back to front grab, from a stand still.

About the physics, I've been part of the whole "fix physics, fix inheritance, fix fucking everything" since I joined the beta. Hundreds of pages on the forum, and all they had to say in the end was that they would include it (100% inheritance on everything) on custom servers, which they have not.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
250k+ grabs shouldn't be able to stay going 250k by simply holding a button. Frictionless skiing is ridiculously broken. Between that, and passive regen, the only thing that would limit your speed are map boundaries, and ammo.

The inheritance cult diverted a lot of attention from real physics issues to their silly cause. Inheritance is the least of the physics woes in this game.

Jet packs that just suddenly stop accelerating at 72kph.
Gravity that stops accelerating when you hit 250kph.
Gravity that doesn't effect each armor the same.
No ski friction.
Piss poor thrust vectoring.
Aircontr-lol.
A jet pack that is more efficient when you alternate strafes?

Current movement rules are a joke, and not even worth of being called "physics."

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
It's too late in the day to change the physics. Personally I've no problem with the movement, and although inheritance bugged me at first, I'd hate to have to get used to it all over again.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Not settling for that. Never to late to fix what's broken.

The thing that really irks me is they bought the rights, and most of the code is open source, they could have just ported the best physics every written for a FPS. They didn't. WTF.