Duke Nukem Forever Using SteamWorks!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm sure that this news will cause some of your heads to explode in rage, but, for me, this is the best news I've read all week! 2K Forums community manager Elizabeth Tobey has confirmed that the upcoming Duke Nukem Forever will be a fully SteamWorks integrated game, meaning Achievements, Cloud storage and all the other conveniences that comes with the platform.

All I can say is, "YEEEESSSSSS!!!!!" If only Borderlands had had this kind of news!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You can get your boxed copy... and then activate it on Steam. Sucker!

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
Hahaha the Gearbox forums are going BALLISTIC over this. It's hilarious. There are some people that are actually threatening to not buy the game after a 14 year wait because of Steamworks.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
[GU]elmur_fud;2495740 said:
haha at tag. Rage?... nope. As long as i can get my boxed copy u people are welcome to be suckers imo. It's your money.
Too bad you still need steam in order to play the retail version. :lol:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Well, that sucks. Mandatory online activation and permanently linking a game to a single volatile account managed by some foreign company with shady terms reduces the value of the game.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
Mandatory online activation and permanently linking a game to a single volatile account managed by some foreign company with shady terms reduces the value of the game.

Unfortunately, the average "No to Steam"-person will not argue like that. Most of them simply go by the long-standing, memorized mantra of "Steam = sh!t" without being able to name reasons :lol:

I'm pretty happy about these news tbh. I like Steam and seeing that many games use GfW instead always has me worried that *insert name of game you're waiting for* will be using it, too.

U

Unregistered

to be honest i was never very much interested in the actual game, but hearing itll be a steam game actually increases the chances i will purchase it at some point (as it was previously standing, it was extremely unlikely).

i have no problem at all with steam, and even hearing the previously mentioned reasons against steam, they are of no concern to me.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
fyi, Steamworks is a different service from SteamCloud. Any game that has Steam achievements and/or stat tracking is using Steamworks, not many of them use Steamcloud. Valve games and Torchlight are the only I've had experience with that use both.

ed: ok, maybe I'm a little confused. Either Cloud integration seems to be one of the features in Steamworks as of 2010 or this is just a friendly reminder that the service exists, it's not very clear. http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/SteamworksBrochure2010.pdf

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Setting personal preferences aside, it seems that this news splits people - some are compelled to buy it now, and some are repelled from doing so. Fascinating.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Cloud is part of the SteamWorks feature set. It would be kind of silly for them to leave that out.