UT3 DM-Silo [Alpha 1][Pics][Download][PC]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vectorspace

Jun 15, 2008
DM-Silo [v1.2 (20/10/08)][Pics][Download][PC][PS3]

My first map... After eight months, it's finally at version 1...

Name: DM-Silo
Version: 1.2

Compatibility: PC, PS3 (patch 1.3+)

Description: An underground missile launch silo, built for wars long forgotten. The safety concerns about live-fire combat in the vicinity of an "inert" ion pulse warhead only encouraged Liandri to scout it as a possible future tournament venue.

PC Version Download: http://hosted.filefront.com/Vectorspace
PS3 version Download: http://hosted.filefront.com/Vectorspace

Screenshots (click for higher res):

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23635814@N04/sets/72157608198425738/

I am entering this map in the 3dBuzz UT3 Old-School Contest. You can view my development thread here: http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=167199

-----------------------
Changelog:

version 1.2

As it turns out, all this time I've been playing with Vivid post-processing turned on - V1 and 1.1 were much brighter than I intended. Entire level has now been darkened to match what I originally saw.
Fuel rooms brightened slightly.
Burst bio-goo pipe deco added to lower fuel room.
Tech room lifts improved so the player no longer ramdonly falls through them or causes them to reverse.
Fixed a pathing bug in the tech room where bots would sometimes get stuck on the holo-globe platform.
Possibly fixed a rare pathing bug where bots can get stuck passing through the doorways leading from the fuel room to the missile room.
Moved the Invulnerability pickup out of the tunnel and closer to the surface of the water troth.
Three more of the monitors in the tech room are now animated based on the statuses of pickups.
The running lights on the redeemer ramp have been extended down the wall behind the lift.
Missile room catwalks are now lit.
Fixed a minor bug on the tech room lift button material.
Fixed two collision bugs - meshes that weapons fire did not collide with.
Randomised the top water tank exit spark interval.
Randomised the flashing on sequence of the redeemer ramp lighting.
Minor tweaks and improvements to the tech room lift and tower lift kismet.
Missile spotlights brightened.
Warhead room door forcefield emitters chavged from blue to green to match forcefield material.
Warhead room robot arms now animated with a 122.5 second reversing sequence of them rotating around the warhead.
Replaced the Ambient music tracd with the Suspense track from the Coret music arrangement.
Added level-specific coloured stripes to the tunnels and symbols to each section to aid navigation.
Made the lighting in the water tank below the water line more blue.
Added a pair of jump boots to the lower missile catwalk.
Added additional closed-off passageways to give the impression that the level is part of a larger complex:
*Three more tunnels closed off with gates form existing intersections.
*Four bricked-off tunnels from existing intersections.
*A passageway from the tech room blocked by a forcefield, behind the UDamage.
*Lift shaft adjacent to the water tank extended up and down, with a kill volume at the bottom.

Version 1.1

Meshes with changed pivot position re-tooled to not need it, to correct PS3 cook bug
Several minor geometry tweaks
Light meshes in entryway attached to wall

Version 1 - PS3

Version 1 cooked for PS3

Version 1

Replaced Link Gun pickup in water tank with Enforcer pickup
Reduced health vials in water tank to 6
Added Kismet so Enforcer pickup triggers a sound (Enforcer pickup method does not result in a sound)
Further modified shield emitter particle system (used by tech room lifts) so that only one was needed per lift instead of two
Modified material used by tower rail tracks to remove specular component (shine effect) - shine resulted in obvious seams when tiling
Removed the top row of missile room wall panels on each side to make room for the crane framework
Removed template/construction meshes/BSP from non-visible portions of map
Added light source for holographic globe in Tech Room
Added 2 playerstarts to the missile room walkways
Modified pathing to fix 8 nodes marked as unnecessary on path build
*Water Tank
*Missile Room Walkways
*Generator Room > Tech Room Corridor

Beta1

Improved water leak
Multiple water splash particle emitters
Second water surface showing water streaming away form where leak hits
Rearranged/added pickups
*Moved Keg into Water Tank
*Moved Invulnerability into Water Troth beneath missile
*Moved uDamage into Tech Room
*Added 2x medium health to Tech Room
*Added 10x health vials to Water Tank
*Added Link Gun & ammo to Water Tank
*Added Shock Rifle & ammo to Water Tank
Altered kill volume in Fuel Room shaft so you fall for less time before dying

Alpha2

Light meshes in generator room given orange tinge
Launch towers lit on the interior
Spotlights on missile brightened
Generator room BSP redone to remove odd texture seams
Entryway walls tweaked to remove odd texture seam
Edging meshes added to where entryway roof and tech room entry point floor meets missile room wall
Added supports to the stairs in the water tank
Added deco to more corridors
Added jump pads to the tech room (bottom level top top level)
Added water leak in tank viewing room
Added trigger volume to top of tower lifts, to bring lift up when pawn approaches exit
Added animated buttons to top of each tech room lift - when shot brings lift up
Added blocking volumes to some corners of the missile room walkways to prevet player from falling through.
Added sound effects to all lifts
Added sound effect to spark on top tank door
Added ambient sounds:
*Water leak
*Tech room forcefields
*Generators
*Generator room air processor
*Fuel room - green tanks
*Fuel room - machinery
*Fuel room - large vertical pipes
Added music

Alpha1

First release

-----------------------

This is my first map, and I have been working on it for seven months. So, please be kind with the constructive criticism... :)

Last edited:

Grogan

Nice looking map. Congratulations on your first one.

However, there are walkways and stair cases that kind of go nowhere and it ruins the "flow" so to speak. I'd also make the elevators cycle up and down to make them more useful for getting around the map. I have to jump down a lot in this map which costs me health.

None the less, I've been enjoying Silo. Thanks for making it.

Vectorspace

Jun 15, 2008
Based on other feedback, I am going to add buttons in the control room that you can shoot to make the lifts come up so you can ride them down.

There are times when bots wait on the exit points for the two tower lifts for no reason, if I can't solve that I may add a trigger volume so that when a bot/player stands by that node the lift will come up (if it is not already moving).

Will those help?

Which walkways/stairs do you feel go nowhere? Oh, and if you do it right, you can get from the redeemer to the very bottom floor in about 10 seconds with no fall damage.

Grogan

Yes, those things will help a lot. The shooting triggered buttons sound interesting.

I just mean that spiral stair that ends in up near the rocket jets, and some dead end walkways, and get off the elevator to that semicircle platform... and then what? That stuff is kind of pointless to me, sorry. It doesn't make me dislike the map or anything, though.

Vectorspace

Jun 15, 2008
The spiral staircase leads up to a small walkway with a sniper rifle, shield belt, and a lift. The lift leads up to the top of the missile, which is where the Redeemer spawns - that and the shield belt are about the only reason to go up there, but I thought it fitting that the redeemer be up there.

The buttons to shoot are not co-operating right now, but the trigger volumes to bring up the tower lifts work.

Peccavi

Jan 20, 2008
Very nice for a first map. I like how the spiral staircase looks with glazing circling around.

Looking forward to playing the beta.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Have a look at my map in the ED to check out how to do shoot triggers with Kismet ;) It's actually very simple :)

In your map there are some spots which look great, like the rocket, control room, reactor room and all of that, and it's nice :) It could use a more unified lighting theme, because now there are some spaces which are yellow and others deep purple, and it doesn't look too good. Also, the corridors feel empty, and I had the impression of getting lost among the walkways when I wanted to go somewhere. I also got the feeling that I was stuck at the top of the rocket. I figured you could jump from walkway to walkway but there should be another way to go down (That lift that comes up should help).

Vectorspace

Jun 15, 2008
Actually, I already did look at your map :)
I have the buttons working now, they weren't working because I added them as StaticMeshActors instead of InterpActors.

I'll think about adding a button/trigger to bring the Redeemer lift back up - of course as the bots often demonstrate, you can go from the lift to the redeemer and back again before the lift disappears.

I dunno about the lighting, I quite like it how it is. The generator room, the missile room, and the fuel room (with all the pipes) - I can't imagine them being any other colour.

I do plan to add deco to more of the corridors at some point, and break up the symmetry by making some of the lights off, etc.

Vectorspace

Jun 15, 2008
Now the lift buttons are really working!

Well, button - because there is only one. But what a button!

When you shoot it, it brings the lift up (even if it is still moving down). But the button itself is one of those animated coloured arrows you get in CTF.

When the lift is at the bottom, the button arrows are red, pointing up, and not flashing.
When the lift is moving up, the button arrows are red, pointing up, and flashing.
When the lift is moving down, the button arrows are blue, pointing down, and flashing.

The button even automatically changes if the lift changes direction while in motion - like if it hits an actor or you shoot the button again.
The Kismet was not simple :):

2592942741_6f1f34cf96_o.jpg

And I had to extensively modify the material to make the flashing and direction of the arrows toggleable from Kismet.

I've also lit the towers, as you suggested, and I'm glad I did:

Click for a bigger pic.
The towers now have lights up the side, and the spotlights pointing at the missile have been brightened up.

Vectorspace

Jun 15, 2008
DM-Silo Alpha 2 Released!

Version Alpha 2 released 22/06/08, downloadable from FileFront: <link no longer accurate, see first post>

Download it, playtest it, then help me make it better.

Last edited:

Vectorspace

Jun 15, 2008
Alpha2 updated: <link no longer accurate, see first post>

I forgot to include the ini file :)

Last edited:

Grogan

Alpha2 is great. I love the new colour of those towers in the missile area, along with the lights and the blue colour in there.

I'm glad you fixed the elevators, the map is much better to play now. Oh, and I tried shooting the button. Way cool :)

Overall, this is a fabulous map... thanks.

Vectorspace

Jun 15, 2008
DM-Silo Beta1 Released!

Version Beta 1 released 24/06/08, downloadable from FileFront: <see first post for most up-to-date download link>

Download it, playtest it, then help me make it better.

Last edited:

Vectorspace

Jun 15, 2008
DM-Silo, version 1, released. Download link is in first post.

After eight months, it's finally at version 1...

Thanks to everyone who has offered help, advice, criticism, and to everyone who has downloaded the Alpha/Beta versions.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Downloaded, played it, here's my first impressions.

-It's really, really, really big. Perhaps too big for DM. Definitely more than 2 players needed :D

-The flow is somewhat disjointed in several areas--it's very hard to go to where I want to be. Finding the keg of health was hard as hell.

-I was having trouble with the lifts at the bottom level. Are they the ones that are operated by buttons? If so the result is constantly having the lifts go back down long before they get to the next floor.

-Is it me or are the walkways kind of narrow?

Overall I think that this map could have been better. I think just chopping out side rooms and leaving only the center silo room, adding some lifts for flow, and widening the catwalks would result in a really fun map. Or instead of cutting out the rest of the areas, adding some sort of objective and make a Warfare map.

Anyways, those are all ideas that constitute an entirely different map. My advice towards you for future mapping is to try to keep things compact and accessible. Keep connectivity between regular rooms and areas high. And don't make anything take too far out of the way to get to (the keg comes to mind here).

Nevertheless, for your first map this is ****ing impressive. :tup:

Vectorspace

Jun 15, 2008
I was aiming for a big map, but when I finally got bot support in I was surprised how cramped it felt in some places.

The lifts that keep going back down before they get to the top - do you mean the four that go into the control room? The buttons can only call the lifts up, they don't make them go back down. The effect you describe I only encountered when playing the game in the editor, and then yesterday evening when I tried installing UT3 on my laptop. I think its some kind of performance issue, because when I drastically reduced the resolution on my laptop the effect went away.

Since I have no idea why it happens, I don't know when I'll be able to fix it.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Again, it's a good map for a first attempt.

I was aiming for a big map, but when I finally got bot support in I was surprised how cramped it felt in some places.

The lifts that keep going back down before they get to the top - do you mean the four that go into the control room? The buttons can only call the lifts up, they don't make them go back down. The effect you describe I only encountered when playing the game in the editor, and then yesterday evening when I tried installing UT3 on my laptop. I think its some kind of performance issue, because when I drastically reduced the resolution on my laptop the effect went away.

Since I have no idea why it happens, I don't know when I'll be able to fix it.

I'm playing UT3 on a crappy laptop right now, so that may easily be the problem.

I also noticed that the map felt "cramped" in certain ways. Maybe it's that the rooms are stuffed with walkways, missiles, and assorted objects. Like I said before, an approach that involved half of the current size of the map with wider paths would probably turn out well. Or just chopping out a large part of the map and focusing on just one of the many rooms in your level (kind of like what Faceless did with Unreality turning it into Seraphim). But that's for some other time with some other map.

At this point in time the map looks like it's so far ahead in development that there would be little to change really.

The only last thing I can comment about is player size. As I can recall the player count was something like 2-16 players? I think the count is more around 6-16... Then again maybe I'm thinking of another map (I've been playing way too many recently).

Vectorspace

Jun 15, 2008
Updated to v1.1. Download link in first post.

Only minor changes, but hopefully this will solve the PS3 cook issues.