DM-Fade (UT99)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Pomperi

Customized
Nov 24, 2005
Göteborg, Sweden
Not sure if this is the best place for feedback, but what the heck!

I've been working on this project for about three weeks now and I thought it was time to show some screenshots.

pompfade18up.jpg

pompfade20yg.jpg

pompfade38iy.jpg

pompfade43mx.jpg

pompfade58ng.jpg

All used textures are selfmade, and was painted from scratch in Photoshop.
The beta might be out within a week if have have time enough to finish up the layout and weapon placement etc.
Feedback is highly appreciated ;)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Looks nice, the lightning is pretty relaxing. I really like the clook texture, i've been working on a simmilar project for ut2004.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Yeah, this one looks interesting. Self made textures? Nice. They make me think of that chess level from alice...(slightly)

Looks very clean, I like that. You're on the right track, so far.
How many players are you targeting? Maximum of 6?
More? less...?

Pomperi

Customized
Nov 24, 2005
Göteborg, Sweden
NeoNite said:
They make me think of that chess level from alice...(slightly)

Funny you mentioned that, because thats where I got most of the inspiration from. Great game btw.

NeoNite said:
How many players are you targeting? Maximum of 6?
More? less...?
Yea, something like that. 2-6 perhaps. Haven't played it with bots yet because i haven't started with the botpathing yet.

Kantham said:
Looks nice, the lightning is pretty relaxing. I really like the clook texture, i've been working on a simmilar project for ut2004.
Nice. Black and white too? or just the same type of town?
Not into 2k4 myself because I can't handle any 3rd party 3d-programs, but it's always nice to see what other creative minds are capable of creating for that game =P

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... actually, if there's one thing i find "wrong" (term used loosely) in the shots, it's the clean look. Dirt and rubble around and less "perfect" textures could help. Nice looking, cold and dark - the way i like...

Reciprocity

Boots of Spanish Rubber
Apr 4, 2004
Being that the textures *are* pretty pale, they would respond to alot more elaborate lighting than that. Feel free to take advantage of that asset.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Pomperi said:
Nice. Black and white too? or just the same type of town?
Not into 2k4 myself because I can't handle any 3rd party 3d-programs, but it's always nice to see what other creative minds are capable of creating for that game =P

Not black and white, more like a blue-ish medieval themed level with some elevations. I always loved 'clock towers' level. I don't know why.

Pomperi

Customized
Nov 24, 2005
Göteborg, Sweden
Nahand said:
... actually, if there's one thing i find "wrong" (term used loosely) in the shots, it's the clean look. Dirt and rubble around and less "perfect" textures could help. Nice looking, cold and dark - the way i like...

I'll see if I can add some more dirt and details to the textures before I'm done with it. I'm gonna do my best with this one ;)

Reciprocity said:
Being that the textures *are* pretty pale, they would respond to alot more elaborate lighting than that. Feel free to take advantage of that asset.

Thanks for the tip. I'll see what I can do about it. Maybe one more lightcolor, or some adjustment with saturation and brightness. Hmmm....

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
Pomperi said:
[...]Thanks for the tip. I'll see what I can do about it. Maybe one more lightcolor, or some adjustment with saturation and brightness. Hmmm....

Thanks for the feedback guys!

... i suggest cold white-blue/cyan(-ish) to go with the cold tone/theme. Please don't "ruin" it with "warm" colors :) ...

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
you can make a killer moon light effect on the archi too with le_cylinder , provide some good shadows ( this will looks like a paranoid map , lol )

i would like to see some little more deatils though like wooden planks , chains , torches and littles decos . just my opinion , but its looks pretty good for now , keep it up !

Pomperi

Customized
Nov 24, 2005
Göteborg, Sweden
Thanks for the feedback everyone =)
A lot of stuff has been added/changed since I published these screenshots, and I'm very close to beta. Some more details, botpathing, weapon placement and it's ready for playtesting.

Nahand: Lighting looks very plain without warm contrast, and I'll stick to the current lighting theme. Last time I posted here, the light contrasts seemed to be the biggest deal, and now when im finally got some basic understanding for it I'll stick to it. I think you'll be able to enjoy the final result without white-blue/cyan.

Derdak: More details have been added now, like some cool custom flags, crows and cobwell. I'll see what I can add without shooting up the polys (map stays steady below 300 polys per view, only one place where it actually gets to 300).

milb: Green usually looks very cool, but I can't think of any place where it would actually fit in. There isn't much stuff that can give green light in a black and white town.

Anyways, beta is almost done, and thanks again for the feedback.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
It'd probably be a gimmick, but suppose you'd make a home and build a room inside. You can look through the window, and see.. say some nali for example. A nali reading a book etc... or sleeping (illhaven).

You shouldn't enter the house, it could be a nice little extra...
Just a silly idea.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Well, I did check it out but I haven't played it yet.
Maybe that's slightly comforting...

But I like the lay-out. I think it'll provide for some fun games.
The lighting suits the map, and it's a very clean one. Maybe a little too clean in certain areas (third screenshot)?

I'll link to it in a big maps thread on the UT forum, this beta map is worth the download.

Sarevok

Jun 4, 2002
Kuwait
nice little map, nothing really fancy, but solid work
my only complaint is the dull lighting and textures, everything is white and gray