UT3 UT3 Custom Map Pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

b r y o n

Aug 23, 2009
Hello.

A trio of custom DM maps.
Recommended for 4-12 players.
All maps were generated using Unreal 3 assets and packages and designed by Bryon Lagania 2009.

Battle above the Pacific Ocean aboard a precarious oil rig, high above the Earth inside the dimly lit corridors of a space energy plant or deep below the surface in an ancient underground temple.

follow the link to download. (19.3 MB)

http://www.filefront.com/14651503/UT3CustomMapPack-byBryonLagania2009.zip/

ScreenShot00001.jpg

ScreenShot00005.jpg

ScreenShot00000.jpg

All feedback appreciated.
t h a n k y o u .

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
I'm not so sure, in the 2nd screenshot you got like 1000 light sources yet it's really dark. And the third screenshot has way too many of those asian lanterns and 0 color variation. 1st one looks abit more interesting though, might try it out once I get home.

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
I agree that the maps look too monochromatic. Some color variations within each one would be nice, even if they are not bold colors.

For the second one, I would suggest reducing the number of light sources. If you want lights running the full height of the pillars, then perhaps a thin neon line would work better. Right now it is a little hard on the eyes.

I like the feel of the third one, but Thrallala is right that there are too many lights. I would remove most of the upper wall lights. This will make the ceiling tend to fade into darkness and give a sense of depth. If it makes the ceiling too dark, you could add a few dim, large-radius point lights. You could also remove a few of the post lights and make them a slightly different color from the wall lights.

From the screenshots, I think with a few tweaks they all have potential to be really good maps. I'll download them and let you know if I have any additional comments.

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
b r y o n,

I gave all three a try. They all have a similar "intertwined ramps" kind of design. It seems to work out pretty well except in terms of framerate.

You have large open areas with a lot of meshes visible at once. With my setup, Epic's DM maps rarely drop below 40 fps, but these three maps often drop to between 20 and 30 fps. To help this, you can simply reduce the number of meshes in some cases. For example, remove some of the lamps in the third map. In other cases it might require more rework to do things like block visibility. In general, try to give a strong impression of detail and variation while using no more meshes (particularly ones with high poly counts) than necessary. In areas where framerate is not a problem, you can keep the mesh count higher but still try to get bang for your buck in terms of detail. Repeating the same mesh a lot adds polygons but does not make the map as interesting as having more variation.

If you adjust the lighting, that can go a long way towards adding interest without needing so much physical detail. I mentioned the lighting for the third map in my previous post. Once I played it, I saw that the ceiling already fades into darkness a little, but I think you can take it further. In regard to the first map, I noticed some places where the lighting did not match the light fixtures. Also, having the lights embedded in the walkways as a primary source of light could make your work more difficult. You might want to consider have other primary light sources and making the embedded lights be dimmer accent lights.

I like that you are trying out some triggers as with the first map. If done well, such special features can make the map stand out.

I hope this helps.

b r y o n

Aug 23, 2009
i hadn't even thought of color so thanks for pointing this out to me.

SuperAlgae:
i highly appreciate the prompt and detailed input.

originally i had wanted a lightsource for every light in the map...seeing as this effects the framerate though i suppose the lanterns and glowing things can afford to go.
i'll also see if i can get away with using the scale tool more perhaps to minimize the repeating static meshes...maybe even make use of bsp...

as for the triggers what are some things you would like to see them do that would make them more interesting?

i'll repost the updated maps soon (ideally with pathnodes)

thanks again.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
I think the issue with framerate is due to the fact that you are using triggerable lights instead of standard ones, not the number of meshes. Replace the lights with standard pointlights or spotlights and try building again...

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
I think the issue with framerate is due to the fact that you are using triggerable lights instead of standard ones, not the number of meshes. Replace the lights with standard pointlights or spotlights and try building again...

Good catch. I did not notice he was using toggleable lights everywhere. I thought it was just the first map.

SuperAlgae:
i highly appreciate the prompt and detailed input.

No problem. Plenty of others on the forums have provided helpful feedback on my own work, and I'm glad to pass on the favor.

As Slainchild mentioned, only use a toggleable light if you plan to actually toggle it, and try to keep those to a minimum. The effect of the light switches in the first map is a little too much. Almost everything goes black. You can make such effects more limited, perhaps focused around a power-up. I think this will work better for gameplay and also help the framerate.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Actually it was FDM that failed me. I tried Internet Explorer and finally made it. Thing is FudgeFront is VERY picky about letting you resume the download that breaks. And I lack tolerance for such filehosters as this one.