Steam game downloads wut.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Interesting question

• Total voters

FaT CaM

Not much...
Apr 5, 2002
¯\(˚_o)/¯ I DUNNO?
I'm looking to download a few games through steam, but what are my options regarding backing them up? Can i copy them to a cd or usb drive?

Also, do i have to run steam to play them? I was thinking of downloading UT99 since my CD was stolen last time my house got robbed, but part of the magic for me was messing around with the file directories when downloading custom content, so I'm hoping you can install it to whatever directory instead of under Steam Games.

Give me the good news someone.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
You can only play steam games with steam open. Sorry. As for backing it up, you can make a cd, but why bother when you can always re-download at any point in time? I have no idea why messing with file directories was "part of the magic" but I imagine you would be able to do that still, so long as you kept it in the steam directory.

~Jason

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Is it possible to backup steam games though ? It would help for those of us who have a quota.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I didn't knew you could backup them steam games. Since I have no DL limits with my ISP I don't bother with it.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Here's another steam question for this thread - how fast is the dl speed? I'm thinking about getting Painkiller, which will probably be a pretty big download. Will it take more than a full day or so, do you think?

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
I'm "limited" at 2.6Mbs on normal connection, and steam doesnt DL at that speed. I managed to get a 2.1mbs peak once by downloading 2 games at the same time (HL2 episodes maybe) but that's about it. why can't I use a download manager ? :(