The flag in CTF should be something unique and futuristic

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What kind of flag would you like?

• Total voters

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
To show you an example of what I mean:
[screenshot]http://www.unrealchampionship2.com/environments/gauntlet.jpg[/screenshot]

That is an image from Unreal Championship 2, the Gauntlet map. Now, I'm pretty sure that is a CTF map, and thats how the flag looks like (correct me if I'm wrong). Now that IMO looks truly awesome, and it really shows that you're playing a futuristic bloodsport, rather than an army or war game (army and war games use the type of flag UT2004 uses).

Now if UT2007 would use a good looking futuristic flag like the one in the pic or something similar, then it would make UT2007's CTF stand apart from the rest.

Ofcourse, the classic flag should also be included for the oldies and the players should be able to choose which type of flag they want to see CLIENT-SIDE.

What you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vault

May 29, 2005
yeah sure, why not? I'd like a "Lightsaber" like flag......

hold up, that just gave me an idea.... What if when you picked up the flag, it was a weapon, and it had infinite ammo, and you couldnt use any other weapon. (not like the ball gun in Bombing run) i could shoot different things depending on the map... do you guys like the idea?

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Yeah sure.

I have always thought that CTF could use some upgrade.
It needs to be made more "cool" to cap if you know what i mean maybe some nice effects etc.

What if the game went into slomo immidietly after a player capped by "jumping it" in and it showed some data who capped, who assisted etc. Very short, when the capper touch ground the game turns normal again.

I would like to see individual animations for CTF too. (for picking it up, capping etc)

Also instant replays on the screens all over the map would be nice.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
:hmm:
imo more cheesy generic tech stuff is exactly what the game doesn't need.
And how is this going to fit with other map themes? Ancient and so on. If there are more flags available then the should be selected by the mapper.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Flags, briefcases, secret plans, devices....
I'm happy with everything, as long as it's clearly visible who the flagcarrier is :)

Thanks to the UT200x HUD that points to the flag pole, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what object serves as flag. ;)

pilarius

Apr 14, 2005
I want classic flag...if it will not be classic flag (doesnt matter) it will not be Capture the Flag but Capture the (Team symbol, Energy core...).

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
Bot_40 said:
:hmm:
imo more cheesy generic tech stuff is exactly what the game doesn't need.
And how is this going to fit with other map themes? Ancient and so on. If there are more flags available then the should be selected by the mapper.

Of course things like that is just a question of taste, and even if we argue for ages noone will be able to prove to the others what is right or wrong to have.
In my opinion more than a new design for the flag, I prefer to think on how to improve the tactical side of CTF.
Anyway, more than a totally new item instead of the flag, what could be cool to have is a flag where you could put your own logo or symbol for instance.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Vault said:
hold up, that just gave me an idea.... What if when you picked up the flag, it was a weapon, and it had infinite ammo, and you couldnt use any other weapon. (not like the ball gun in Bombing run) i could shoot different things depending on the map... do you guys like the idea?

Very nice idea for a modified gametype. Imagine a flaming sword that slices through anything or shoots beams :p .

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Having something other than a flag would cause problems for the first time of playing the given map:
"what the hell does the 'flag' look like?"

Being able to have it custom for different maps would be nice, but it needs to be clear what the flag looks like. Perhaps a clear picture of it on a loading screen.
Also you could have a given set of Flags : Ancient, tech, oldschool flag etc

Unreality

Apr 20, 2005
i want a more old shredded looking flag because ya know.. a flag isnt goining to stay in 1 piece when getting blasted with all that stuff and shouldnt stay clean at all lol yust a lil more ragged and dirty flag but still clearly wich colour flag it is

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
Unreality said:
i want a more old shredded looking flag because ya know.. a flag isnt goining to stay in 1 piece when getting blasted with all that stuff and shouldnt stay clean at all lol yust a lil more ragged and dirty flag but still clearly wich colour flag it is

you just take this aspect out of my mouth. I want destroyed burning flag after a while and when the flag is TOTALLY destroyed then it s just like when the flag is taken back by the opponent.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Wowbagger said:
Yeah sure.

I have always thought that CTF could use some upgrade.
It needs to be made more "cool" to cap if you know what i mean maybe some nice effects etc.

What if the game went into slomo immidietly after a player capped by "jumping it" in and it showed some data who capped, who assisted etc. Very short, when the capper touch ground the game turns normal again.

I would like to see individual animations for CTF too. (for picking it up, capping etc)

Also instant replays on the screens all over the map would be nice.
:tup: like the thoughts - some effects, some replays, extra stats, loss of personal scores and more stats about capping itself. Make it less TDM with extras and back to CTF tastic.

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
I want both! *g* just like the way at the weaponry, the player should freely decide what he prefers

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
pikachoo: flags sticking into character mesh r soo kewl ^ - ^ AAH AAH MY ASS IS SHOOTING LIGHTNING BOLTS!!

It would be far easier for someone to make a mut to stick a crappy flag in the characters back than to make a mut to replace it with a futuristic flag. I vote futuristic flag. I don't know how a nasty looking flag will bring back whatever people liked so much about UT. I think, things other than the silly looking flag are more important in bringing back the aesthetics of classic UT.

Last edited:

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
The real question is: Is there anything wrong in having a conventional flag? this answer will tell us wether or not some "fancy" -but not necessary relevant- alternativ is needed or not...

IMO I would focus more in a flag that becomes a burning, muddy, altered flag because of the battle rather than a new high tech icon.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
the flag had been a futuristic deally, they called that game Bombing Run............

The classic flag seems to balance out all the other futuristic stuff already in the game!