The Musicians & Music Producers Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site

Okay, I need your advice (or others) on how to record a video.

I want to play be able to play a song on my bass, play along to music playing from another source, and record it all to YouTube. I tried using a webcam mic, and it was terrible if audible at all.

Keep in mind, I won't be doing a lot of videos. My mother is in poor health, and I want to send her a video of me playing one of her favorite songs. With that said, I don't want to have to buy a lot of gear just to make one or two videos. I'd like to keep it on a "poor man's budget" as much as possible. Quality doesn't have to be great, but good enough that it sounds decent.

Do I need to get a specific mic? Run the amp and music source through my pc to some mixer? I've ran my bass through the pc and recorded it and a source sample through Audacity, but don't know what to do with video.

Any advice with be appreciated. I'm a noob when it comes to recording.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Okay, I need your advice (or others) on how to record a video.

I want to play be able to play a song on my bass, play along to music playing from another source, and record it all to YouTube. I tried using a webcam mic, and it was terrible if audible at all.

If you don't have a DAW you should be able to this in Reaper, they all share the same fundamental features. Create two tracks; the first being the recording (song you're using) and the second as the armed record track for your instrument. After you finish recording you can just dub the audio from reaper into what video you have.

Some tips: DI is going to be the easiest. If you must mic it I'd recommend using headphones to monitor playback from reaper to avoid that bleeding into the recording. If you want to get a more live sound I believe one or both Amplitube or Guitar Rig free/demos have decent bass amp+cab sims.
Find out the song tempo, or at least the beginning, and manually create at least a 1bar click to serve as a lead-in. This will give you time after hitting record to ready yourself and start at the appropriate time. You can mute this (or just delete it) when exporting the recording. Click on/off is a typical feature and while you could just use this, I personally wouldn't want a click to continue playing after the song has started. It will also be a huge distraction if the song deviates from perfect at any time.

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
If you don't have a DAW you should be able to this in Reaper, they all share the same fundamental features. Create two tracks; the first being the recording (song you're using) and the second as the armed record track for your instrument.
I've done some of that in the past for recording audio with Audacity, no no problem there.

After you finish recording you can just dub the audio from reaper into what video you have.
No clue how to do that. Any specific software I should use?

Some tips: DI is going to be the easiest.
DI = "Direct Input?" Should I run the bass to my amp then to the soundcard, or just bypass the amp all together?

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
No clue how to do that. Any specific software I should use?

Sure. Windows Live Movie Maker will work fine for something like that.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/movie-maker-get-started#t1=overview

If you need something more advanced feel free to go with Adobe Premier or Sony Vegas, but be prepared for a large learning curve. I use Vegas Pro and while it's not the industry-standard pro-editing package (that distinction goes to Avid Media Composer) it costs hundreds less and performs more or less the same.

Last edited:

Zer0

Jan 19, 2008
Got one of these motherfuckers recently.
1h0iQmG.png

Ibanez GRG121DX, was around $220. Pretty satisfied with it so far. I also recommend Rocksmith on steam to anyone trying to learn. I've probably made more improvement from that than anything I had done in the last 5 years or so of sucking. Here's a video of some dude (not me) playing some Kansas:

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Q0L39W9ik[/M]

lol dat pillow

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
That's pretty cool, but you have to use their cable? I can't just run my bass through the Line-In with an adapter like I usually do?

This made it a no-buy for me. The excuse is not being able to support all devices but this is redirecting attention from failing to support standardized interface and APIs as any other recording/modelling software does. This was also around release so I'd be interested if this has changed.