EAX!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yea, I know I'm obsessed with EAX, but hey, there's an option for it, yet do any maps use it? So far I haven't seen one. I could add EAX to them, no big deal, but then we would get extra maps we had to keep... But EAX is sooooo great, the echoes rule! Alcazar would be so much different with proper EAX support! And the option wouldn't be useless then! What do you think?
Also, I guess the spawn timer problems on various maps could be fixed, so you wouldn't have to wait for the same time to spawn if you have multiple spawn points.
Also, Tak, don't forget to add EAX support to your maps! All you need to do is review each ZoneInfo, and describe the zone under ZoneSound.
If you want, I could add the support for you ;)

Mar 6, 2004
EAX is echoes? that's pretty silly adding echoes to every map. Maps that need echoes should have EAX, not maps that don't need them.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
No, echoes is the main part, but that's not all. It's not a global setting of some kind - when you wander around the maps, when you enter a small long passageway that has metal walls and ceiling, you would get a nice realistic echo. If you leave outside, into an open area - the echoes fade out and you don't hear them. If you enter a bigger room, the echoes are less heard - just like in real life!

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
As I've written on the report bugs thread, found a useful way to add the support! :D
Also, note to all users: Update your OpenAL wrapper and you will most likely get more detailed sound which adds the ability to hear things like footstep sounds better etc. To do that, install OpenAL from their website:
http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx
Then go to your Windows\System32 (or Windows\SysWOW64 if you're on a 64-bit OS) and copy wrap_oal.dll to your U2XMP\System folder. Then move out DefOpenAL32.dll somewhere to backups, and rename wrap_oal.dll to DefOpenAL32.dll . There you have it!

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
If you need to hear things better, like footstep sounds, you could just edit the sound files (I believe XMPPlayerA.uax has the footsteps) and re-record them to be louder. I used to do that before I had a decent stereo. It's sort of a hax when you can hear players across the map though.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Nah, that's a very ugly way. A new wrapper also should give more functions and possibly a speed increase. You know, that's an updated driver.

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
I know, I was just appealing to the would-be haxx0r audience out there ;)

Seriously though, I was forced to learn how to modify Unreal sound files thanks to FMI and the cr@p@ss job they did with the near-silent autoturrets in UTXMP.