The Hobbit is now a trilogy

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
no really.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...obbitmt1thewrap49871-20120730,0,3785972.story

the Lord of the Rings, while originally published in one volume, is basically 3 different books. for adults.
so 3 movies made perfect sense I reckon.

The Hobbit is one book. for children.
and it's a relatively short book at that.

so how do you do it justice?
well you make 3 more films of course.... of course.

also, more money please.
thanks.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
My hope is that the films will be pretty short, less than 2hrs apiece. They were already adding a lot of stuff to the book from the additional materials, so I don't doubt that there is enough to make great films, and Jackson is a huge fan with a good eye, but yeah, I really just don't want long ass films.

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
Forget about waiting for the Hobbit, just go and get Willow. On VHS.

Willow_willow_the_movie_6044780_720_480.jpg

It's got all the midget wrestling and pig tricks you'll ever need to see in under two hours..

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Hah... what a joke. The Hobbit is the most boring book of all time. Even if they can manage to make one movie interesting, there is no way they can make three interesting movies out of it without adding a bunch of crap and ruining the source material.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
The hobbit would be boring as a trilogy. Unless they're only 90minutes long... If it's 6 hours of hobbitry, it's going to get pretty old.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I really like The Hobbit a lot, but the fact is... it's a quick read. Tolkien doesn't go into great detail like he does in Rings and the cast of characters is nowhere near as large. I could read The Hobbit in six hours.

Now, the journey is quite long and since Tolkien glosses over a lot of the action I suppose it could be padded out to maybe four hours... but six? Or six plus?

How could that possibly be broken up?

Part 1: An Unexpected Party -> Over Hill and Under Hill? Ending with Bilbo lost?

Part 2: Riddles in the Dark -> A Warm Welcome? Ending with the party arriving at Lake-Town?

Part 3: On the Doorstep -> The Last Stage?

Theoretically you could break it up into three mini-stories. Maybe if it were a TV series but not three full length feature films... Peter Jackson did such a great job with the Rings trilogy that I have to give him the benefit of the doubt. I just hope they don't do a big cash-in and ruin all the goodwill and a great novel.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
What gets me is they left too much out of the LOTR trilogy, now they're going to overpad the crap out of the Hobbit?

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
there is no way they can make three interesting movies out of it without adding a bunch of crap and ruining the source material.

They're going deep into a bunch of the stories within the universe that weren't in the Hobbit, per se. This was the plan from the get-go, so between that and the sheer number of various plot points, they should have plenty of tolkien to cover

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Well, hopefully they will make up for omitting Tom Bombadil from LoTR.

Whether they are just cashing in or not, I can't deny I'm going to plunk down my hard earned cash for all three.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
I didn't say they should showcase him in the new movies. I said that they should make up for omitting him from the other movies. In other words, since there appears to be a shortage of Hobbit source material for the new movies, I hope that portions of the Hobbit story don't end up on the cutting room floor to make room for newly created material, as happened to poor Tom.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I didn't say they should showcase him in the new movies. I said that they should make up for omitting him from the other movies. In other words, since there appears to be a shortage of Hobbit source material for the new movies, I hope that portions of the Hobbit story don't end up on the cutting room floor to make room for newly created material, as happened to poor Tom.

fuck tom bombadil. Eliminating that entire boring section was a masterful stroke. Good lord it was tedious and silly. I would just like to take a moment to remember how much better tlotr movies were than the books.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Why the hell does firefox spellcheck flag "movies" as an error?

I genuinely don't know how they'll drag this out for 3 movies. As has already been said, the book wasn't exactly long in the first place, so unless they're going to shoot the entire book in real time, I can't see how they're going to be able to do it.

If they're doing it simply to cash in, then that'll be taking film industry cynicism to a whole new level...

fuck tom bombadil. Eliminating that entire boring section was a masterful stroke. Good lord it was tedious and silly.

Agreed. The whole section brings absolutely nothing to the story. Whatsoever.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
fuck tom bombadil. Eliminating that entire boring section was a masterful stroke. Good lord it was tedious and silly. I would just like to take a moment to remember how much better tlotr movies were than the books.

Agreed. The whole section brings absolutely nothing to the story. Whatsoever.
They could have tastefully handled the Bombadil character. His character made a pretty impactful moral point.

But, yes, overall it was a good thing. The movies are much better stories than the books are. Tolkien was great at creating worlds and making them feel believable but he was really awful at telling a great story within it. Even in the movies, LOTR has so many ridiculous plot holes.

He was like the George Lucas of the early 20th century....

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I must be in the minority then as I really liked the Tom Bombadil character. The fact that he transcended the power of The One Ring brought the story to another, more mystical level. He seems to play by different rules than the rest of the mythical inhabitants of Middle-Earth and I thought that made him very interesting. And within that space of the story you have Old Man Willow and the Barrow-Wights. Good stuff if you ask me.

Tooly

Jun 26, 2009
I must be in the minority then as I really liked the Tom Bombadil character. The fact that he transcended the power of The One Ring brought the story to another, more mystical level. He seems to play by different rules than the rest of the mythical inhabitants of Middle-Earth and I thought that made him very interesting. And within that space of the story you have Old Man Willow and the Barrow-Wights. Good stuff if you ask me.

agreed

If they do it in 3 parts I believe they will focus on the war in part 3. Jackson loves his battle scenes.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
There are powerful things hiding in the world...

True, the themes around Bombadil did bring something to the moral side of the party, but the execution of that part of the story was seriously lacking.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
My hope is that the films will be pretty short, less than 2hrs apiece. They were already adding a lot of stuff to the book from the additional materials, so I don't doubt that there is enough to make great films, and Jackson is a huge fan with a good eye, but yeah, I really just don't want long ass films.
Yes; I've heard they are adding a lot of extra material and a lot of Middle Earth lore/back story that extends beyond the novel itself.

I really like The Hobbit a lot, but the fact is... it's a quick read. Tolkien doesn't go into great detail like he does in Rings and the cast of characters is nowhere near as large. I could read The Hobbit in six hours.

Now, the journey is quite long and since Tolkien glosses over a lot of the action I suppose it could be padded out to maybe four hours... but six? Or six plus?

How could that possibly be broken up?

Part 1: An Unexpected Party -> Over Hill and Under Hill? Ending with Bilbo lost?

Part 2: Riddles in the Dark -> A Warm Welcome? Ending with the party arriving at Lake-Town?

Part 3: On the Doorstep -> The Last Stage?

Theoretically you could break it up into three mini-stories. Maybe if it were a TV series but not three full length feature films... Peter Jackson did such a great job with the Rings trilogy that I have to give him the benefit of the doubt. I just hope they don't do a big cash-in and ruin all the goodwill and a great novel.
I love those books too and have read them many times. In fact I reread them after the trilogy finished at the cinemas (including rereading The Hobbit first).

I'm actually good with Jackson extending this out to three films. I'm sure there is a lot about Middle Earth that can be told in back-stories........

Anyway the guy is so successful he can basically do what he wants and the studios will at least listen to his pitches; they obviously listened this time.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
You people act like Peter Jackson would do you wrong. He's one of the few that cares more about the story and advancing techniques than profits. Not to sound like a rabid fan girl, but he really is one of the few good eggs in the industry. He's changing it from 2 to 3 films because he probably freaked out due to time constraints vs. what he had envisioned.