Imported skeletal animation performing worse than native vertexanim

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gedassan

Jun 25, 2008
Hi,

Here is some pre-history if interested. If not, please look at section "Question".
I have imported my custom made bee from 3dsmax to UT2004 and set it as a model my custom NPC (pawn). I scripted all my behavior using the NaliCow vertexmesh with default animations. Later I simply exchanged it for the custom model.

The model animates well. However, it moves differently, and does not perform some of the scripted actions that the native model performed well.

I have a theory that it has something to do with how the pivot point is placed in the custom model. Have any of you met a similar problem?

QUESTION
I have attached three screenshots from Unreal Ed, with three types of meshes selected.

1. The "dinosaur bees" are the native vertex animated mesh from UT2004 - NaliCow.
2. The "bee bees" are my custom model.
3. The "cube bees" are a simple cube made in 3dsmax with a simple animation.

I see a difference in where the base of the red arrow is situated.
1. For the "dinosaur bees" (picture 1 from the left) it is inside the model, and the arrow does not stick out.
2. For the "bee bees" (picture 2) it is way outside the model, not even touching it.
3. For the "cube bees" (picture 3) it starts inside the model, but sticks out.

I want to change the pivot point placement of my custom made bees to match the native model's pivot point placement.

So the big question:
Do you know how I can edit the pivot point of a custom made model? Would it be in 3dsmax or Unreal Ed?

Attachments

• dinosaur bees.JPG
    dinosaur bees.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 18
  • bee bees.JPG
    bee bees.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 13
  • cube bees.JPG
    cube bees.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 14

gedassan

Jun 25, 2008
I found the answer of "how to change the pivot point" in Unreal Ed: in the animation browser, Mesh->Mesh->Translation.

Still didn't solve my problem so I guess the root of it is somewhere else.