No fog in D3D & OpenGL

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Oss

Jan 1, 2001
London
Visit site
Strange one this. I've only just noticed it because I've just started playing around with UnrealEd. On my system, fog effects are only visible in software rendering mode. I have a Geforce256 card, the Elsa Erazor X2. I've tried DirectX 7 & 8 and I've got the latest drivers from Elsa. However, under either D3D or OpenGL there is no fog.

Anyone got any ideas?

Oss

Jan 1, 2001
London
Visit site
I thank for what can only be described as the fastest answer I have ever received for anything ever. I will go forth and learn.

Taker

UT Junkie
Originally posted by Oss
I thank for what can only be described as the fastest answer I have ever received for anything ever. I will go forth and learn.

Go forth and learn........For one day you may be able to help those in UT need...:D

I am sitting here trying to get over what can be described as a Super Class "A" hangover.Since I don't drink but maybe once or twice a year my stomach turns everytime I try to lay down.......That's why you got a reply so quick from me.
Keeping my mind busy to forget how bad I feel.

Hope you had a good New Year........

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Volumetric lighting will enable the fog. But, if you are making it for maps, most people disable it to decrease on distractions. Its something to remember, because many mappers think they are hiding certain powerups in fog, only to discover later its very visible when the player turns off volumtric lighting. Some have replaced fog with scripted textures, like broken pipes that spue out smoke.

Unfortuneately, the Unreal Engine doesn't utilize fog like some other engines (Tribes). It really does enhance a map, if incorporated in the right areas.

Taker, wow...just read your sig. Thanks, but I should thank you. Your replies always turn me in the right direction and remind me of other answers:).

Oss

Jan 1, 2001
London
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, Prophetus, I hadn't really thought that far ahead to be honest. I will rethink my fog ideas. Scripted textures, though. Ooh-er. Probably getting ahead of myself. I'm still struggling with some of the basics.

Thanks, guys, you've been great.