Christopher Nolan sucks

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Mocking IS invading his right to freedom of speech -- it's essentially a blackmail: "Don't post anything or be mocked". WTF? Yeah, some types of posts are acting as a f.o.s. contradiction. That's why in democratic countries (in which freedom of speech is present) you are forbidden to yap nazi stuff and the like. And unless you are a certified psychiatrist, you have NO RIGHT to call him or anyone else crazy! You're NOT QUALIFIED to make such judgments!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's more like "Grow a thicker skin if you're going to pretend to intentionally post crap".

He's free to make such stupid posts as much as we are free to make fun of him for making such posts. He recently said in this very thread he makes bad posts as a kind of joke. He should have thick skin or his long term plans are always going to eventually fail him.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Mocking IS invading his right to freedom of speech -- it's essentially a blackmail: "Don't post anything or be mocked". WTF? Yeah, some types of posts are acting as a f.o.s. contradiction. That's why in democratic countries (in which freedom of speech is present) you are forbidden to yap nazi stuff and the like. And unless you are a certified psychiatrist, you have NO RIGHT to call him or anyone else crazy! You're NOT QUALIFIED to make such judgments!

Listen. I can see you're upset, but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. All speech is free speech. You are free to ostracize others, if you wish, you are free to criticize them, you are free to support them, you are free to, back them up, you are free to contradict them, you are free to point out that they deviate from the social norm, etc. All of this is free speech. Applying social pressure is not "invading" a right to speech, it is engaging in similarly protected speech.

Likewise, we may call someone crazy. Only a certified psychologist is qualified to pass legal judgments as to someone's mental health, but any person may pass their own subjective judgment of another person at their own will. This doesn't mean that Leo is 100% legally certified as mentally incompetent, in some degree or another, but that the ways he is acting, to us, is incompatible with our understanding of how a sane person acts among other people. I am perfectly qualified to make subjective statements based upon my own experiences and my own understanding of the vernacular use of the word crazy, and it is part of my freedom of speech to do so.

Oh, we're on page 5 of this thread now. Some good has come of it. I plan on rewatching Inception soon.

phil

OH GOD
Jan 3, 2000

It's a private web server. You have no freedom of anything here, stop being a dumb.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
Batman is fictional.
Batman movies are fictional.
So.
This thread is fictional.
All posts in this thread are fictional.
The outcome of this thread will be fictional.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
this is a side point but freedom of speech has nothing to do with insults or mockery. The idea behind freedom of speech is self-defense against abuse of authority, oppression and such. Yes, I can say whatever I please (within the rules of a forum), but moral restrain prevents me from insulting others (if I'm not too tired and I'm not discussing Islam :p).

That said, enough of drama. It's done, it's done.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Nobody thinks the movie has zero flaws. That isn't the point. Here's a quick lesson for you: Every movie ever created has at least one flaw in it. Just look through IMDB for a while on movies you claim are good compared to TDK. They all have consistency problems, goofs, etc. Every. Single. One.

This isn't that strange, you're talking about a 2-3 hours long movie that is cut from literally hundreds of hours of film. They are going to miss something. The greater point here is that a movie can be good even with flaws. Flaws don't matter unless they break the movie, and you have yet to name a single flaw in TDK that breaks the movie.

For me it breaks the movie, try to read the article that I have linked to, among others, I think it points out valid flaws with this.

As for the original post, it wasn't really inflamatory I just said my view about it, besides it is true that a good movie you can rewatch and still have fun with. This is completely opposite with Dark Knight, I can see right through the movie and its flaws and yes, I saw the Gordon escape scene mentioned, all that stuff with faking death and then that kidnapping of rachel and all that, so many convenient story holes. If the movie wasn't presented as something realistic this could be forgiven, but Nolan just used totally unrealistic stuff to not create fun but further inconsistencies instead. And the Joker is best as psychopathic killer maniac, who you cannot tell that he is such at first, however as good as Ledger's performance is in this movie (after all he did what he was asked to and did that very well), the character is just very two dimensional, just to make chaos and batman is incompetent to stop it. The character of joker reeks of the very much cliched public view depiction of anarchist lunatics (which hardly happens in real life). I don't think this is as deep as real thrillers either, i mean really.
The problem why the flaws matter here is how the movie is presented, as some kind of thriller instead of action movie. I could forgive flaws in previous batman movies because they weren't so over the top (plus batman begins was even more believable and there weren't lame attempts at humor either). But The Dark Knight really loses a lot of that artistic feel, hell even Gotham in Batman Begins was built up a new, not so in dark knight, it's just damn Michago or whatever.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
For me it breaks the movie, try to read the article that I have linked to, among others, I think it points out valid flaws with this.

As for the original post, it wasn't really inflamatory I just said my view about it, besides it is true that a good movie you can rewatch and still have fun with. This is completely opposite with Dark Knight, I can see right through the movie and its flaws and yes, I saw the Gordon escape scene mentioned, all that stuff with faking death and then that kidnapping of rachel and all that, so many convenient story holes. If the movie wasn't presented as something realistic this could be forgiven, but Nolan just used totally unrealistic stuff to not create fun but further inconsistencies instead. And the Joker is best as psychopathic killer maniac, who you cannot tell that he is such at first, however as good as Ledger's performance is in this movie (after all he did what he was asked to and did that very well), the character is just very two dimensional, just to make chaos and batman is incompetent to stop it. The character of joker reeks of the very much cliched public view depiction of anarchist lunatics (which hardly happens in real life). I don't think this is as deep as real thrillers either, i mean really.
The problem why the flaws matter here is how the movie is presented, as some kind of thriller instead of action movie. I could forgive flaws in previous batman movies because they weren't so over the top (plus batman begins was even more believable and there weren't lame attempts at humor either). But The Dark Knight really loses a lot of that artistic feel, hell even Gotham in Batman Begins was built up a new, not so in dark knight, it's just damn Michago or whatever.

u mad.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006

Are you even speaking English? God. I don't want to harp on grammar, as mine will suck (drinking and posting is probably a bad idea), but goodness.

I'll address a few of the points from your links, but you posted so much crap, I can't be bothered to address it all. Let's address a few ridiculous plot hole errors.

For instance: why is it so unbelievable that Rachael and Harvey were kidnapped? So many other people were attacked in the film in many different ways--how is their kidnapping obviously the fault of the cops? If you know the answer, you can always say it's obvious, but in the moment, it simply seems like the Joker ambushed them at their houses (and since he can even ambush Bruce Wayne, this isn't particularly surprising).

What happened to the Joker at Bruce Wayne's house? That is ridiculously simple. Batman defeated the goons (which we saw), which left the Joker vulnerable. He knows he is about to be beat. He chucks Rachael out of the window. While batman saves her, he beats his retreat. No, the movie didn't show Batman going back upstairs, looking around, asking if anyone has seen the Joker, going back into the his secret cave, coming back out as Bruce Wayne asking if it's all over yet because Nolan figured that most audience members are smart enough to figure that out. Instead of pointing out that the movie didn't show something, figure it out yourself.

Why did the Joker go through such an elaborate ordeal to get caught? He didn't. He didn't need to be in the station, only the person with the bomb in his stomach. He WAS caught, however, and the bomb stomach helped him get out (as well as kill Lao). He could have set off the bomb then gone in to kill Lao, but it worked to get out as well. The bomb was already in place, either way, it just opens the door either way.

Aha! Batman killed Two Face! What a hypocrit! Oh god, kill me now. In a move to save an innocent, Batman's actions led to Two Face's death. It was not only justified, it was unavoidable. This is not a failure of Batman's moral code, it is a tragedy of events.

As to the distaste of the Joker: It isn't a comic book, so get over it. I agree, the Joker from TDK is not the Joker from The Killing Joke, nor is he something Bob Kane ever drew. He isn't a jovial maniac, he is rather a sardonic lunatic. Instead of whimsy v seriousness, they went with control v chaos. They positioned him as a foil to Batman, and the Batman they have been painting in these films is less a person devoted to seriousness (which needs a whimsicle counterpoint), but of order.

Batman is a disturbing character, because even though he adheres to a strict moral code, he is the embodiment of fascism. He is about control, about rigid adherence to laws and codes, he is about going above and beyond to punish those deemed punishable. The Dark Knight Returns, which goes out of its way to try and prove how NOT a fascist Batman is, is a loveletter to fascism (and proves that anyone who was surprised when Miller went completely nutso had never really payed attention to anything he'd said before). In the movie, he is shown (and by extension--fascist government rule) is shown to be ineffective at preventing chaos. He is able only to fight other organized crimes, which operate with largely the same set of rules as him, with the same thought processes. His only victory is when he simply trusts in humanity to do the right thing, as a whole, and is vindicated (and yes, the authority figures are implicated in this as lacking moral vigor--this isn't surprising). Further, his power to fight this threat is almost worthless without exceeding his limits. It is simultaneously a justification of things like The Patriot Act and a condemnation of it--because he is able to see, mostly through Fox, that this power is absolutely, damningly too much for any person or entity to possess. The joker is perfectly positioned to fight this batman, it is an argument about what constitutes humanity (chaos or order/kindness or evil) and how it should be ruled over.

It is not a superhero movie in the traditional sense. It isn't slavishly devoted to realism (because the vigilante idiots who get their butts handed to them are the only portrayal of realism, Batman being a much more mythic figure), with its super villains, its nicely symmetrical, eye-sparring scars, and etc; but it isn't resigned to simple, over-the-top theatrics. It is a study of power, and particular its corrupting effects and its relation to people. Batman Begins is very much a Spiderman Lesson (great power, great responsibility, blah, blah), TDK is very much a reminder that this power doesn't trump humanity. It is the antidote to Begins' overoptimism (and the overoptimism of almost any superhero film, or cop film, or anti-cop film), and it is a study in humanity. It leans on reality, when that is helpful, keeping things as grounded as it can, but it is not afraid to make use of the extreme, for reasons of theatrics and for reasons of symbolism.

All told, TDK, while possessing flaws (RICO, null coded type things which, really, don't actually matter), is a fantastic film, was one of the best action films when it came out and holds up surprisingly well on repeated viewings. If all you care about is not knowing, of COURSE it doesn't work on repeated viewings (because, well, you know how it goes). If you care about the ideas that are driving it (and this is largely what the movie is--a movie of ideas), then it is truly excellent.

Also, you're an idiot (I felt I'd treated you far too seriously throughout this, arguing points you didn't actually make and giving some credibility to your objections, which are completely lacking).

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I know this is a massive waste of my time.... but, honestly, I can't help myself here...
You mean these crappy links?

http://www.thedarkknightsucks.com/

A site self-professed as "Each article posted here will point out a specific problem with the movie." I simply can't imagine why someone who would make a site completely focused on proving why a movie was bad would have so much luck in doing just that!

http://stevechallis.com/2008/nov/28/null-key-encryption/

You mean a movie got something wrong about technology? ZOMG! I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS! I have yet to see any movie, even one supposedly about technology, that gets technology right. They are trying to make non-technical people go "oooooh that sounds complicated" not make tech people go "oooh that is complicated". Sorry, don't care one bit about this so-called "flaw".

http://www.thedarkknightsucks.com/2008/08/04/youll-never-see-this-pair-together/

Oh no, a semi-realistic movie about a super hero can't have people that can fly and shoot laser beams out of their eyes in it! I HATED (absolutely HATED) the crossover comics with Batman in them. Batman was a regular guy that fought crime with technology, not some over-the-top, has to have super powers to survive character. DON'T. CARE.

http://therawness.com/why-i-hated-the-dark-knight/

This guy's ENTIRE complaint is based on the so-called "realism" of the show. It's not "real". It's "more real". All complaints resolved (and, by the by, he proves he doesn't know what he is talking about several times in his article. Also, I know you just picked this up from the other link).

Great sources you got there...
As for the original post, it wasn't really inflamatory I just said my view about it
Your original post barely said anything, did not defend your position, and appeared to be completely dependent upon a trailer fora movie that has months before it even comes out. That's bad enough.
This is completely opposite with Dark Knight, I can see right through the movie and its flaws
How nice for you. I hope you apply the same level of rambunctious nitpicking to every film you see so that all movie-going is a horridly despondent experience for you.
If the movie wasn't presented as something realistic this could be forgiven
The problem is, the movie is not meant to be realistic. People who like the movie like it because it "is a more realistic Batman film". Another one I've commonly heard is "a more serious batman film". Nobody likes it because it is the peak of reality. Even Batman Begins was not the treasure trove of reality as one of your linked articles tries to make the case for.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372784/trivia?tab=gf

Enjoy. I hope this ruins that movie for you, too.
And the Joker is best as psychopathic killer maniac, who you cannot tell that he is such at first, however as good as Ledger's performance is in this movie (after all he did what he was asked to and did that very well), the character is just very two dimensional, just to make chaos and batman is incompetent to stop it. The character of joker reeks of the very much cliched public view depiction of anarchist lunatics (which hardly happens in real life).
I think you're wrong, but this point is just too completely subjective for me to make a more objective point out of it. I think that the Joker in TDK is literally insane (thanks Heath Ledger). The Joker in Batman (played by Jack Nicholson) is looney, but his worldview is completely different than TDK. (Thanks, dragonfliet, you pretty much summed this point up for me better than I did)

The fact that you think the Joker is a 2 dimensional character in TDK, just creates chaos, and is a typical "anarchist lunatic" simply shows that you missed the point Nolan was trying to make with the character.
I don't think this is as deep as real thrillers either, i mean really.
The problem why the flaws matter here is how the movie is presented, as some kind of thriller instead of action movie.
It's presented as an action thriller, if you want to get all technical about it. Is it as deep as Inception? No. But it is a far cry more deep than the Batman of 1989. Old Batman was basically "Joker does X, Batman does Y". TDK is "Joker does *, Batman tries to deal with *".
I could forgive flaws in previous batman movies because they weren't so over the top
WTFH? You are comparing this to Batman Returns for Pete's sake...
But The Dark Knight really loses a lot of that artistic feel, hell even Gotham in Batman Begins was built up a new, not so in dark knight, it's just damn Michago or whatever.
TDK was incredibly artistic, it just wasn't as distinct as other Batman films. Batman Begins was a lot closer to TDK in that department than you are letting on. Another issue here is that Gotham in the comics was supposed to be the "large, nameless city with lots of crime". There was really no other purpose to Gotham being included in the comics at all.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Are you even speaking English? God. I don't want to harp on grammar, as mine will suck (drinking and posting is probably a bad idea), but goodness.

I'll address a few of the points from your links, but you posted so much crap, I can't be bothered to address it all. Let's address a few ridiculous plot hole errors.

For instance: why is it so unbelievable that Rachael and Harvey were kidnapped? So many other people were attacked in the film in many different ways--how is their kidnapping obviously the fault of the cops? If you know the answer, you can always say it's obvious, but in the moment, it simply seems like the Joker ambushed them at their houses (and since he can even ambush Bruce Wayne, this isn't particularly surprising).

What happened to the Joker at Bruce Wayne's house? That is ridiculously simple. Batman defeated the goons (which we saw), which left the Joker vulnerable. He knows he is about to be beat. He chucks Rachael out of the window. While batman saves her, he beats his retreat. No, the movie didn't show Batman going back upstairs, looking around, asking if anyone has seen the Joker, going back into the his secret cave, coming back out as Bruce Wayne asking if it's all over yet because Nolan figured that most audience members are smart enough to figure that out. Instead of pointing out that the movie didn't show something, figure it out yourself.

Why did the Joker go through such an elaborate ordeal to get caught? He didn't. He didn't need to be in the station, only the person with the bomb in his stomach. He WAS caught, however, and the bomb stomach helped him get out (as well as kill Lao). He could have set off the bomb then gone in to kill Lao, but it worked to get out as well. The bomb was already in place, either way, it just opens the door either way.

Aha! Batman killed Two Face! What a hypocrit! Oh god, kill me now. In a move to save an innocent, Batman's actions led to Two Face's death. It was not only justified, it was unavoidable. This is not a failure of Batman's moral code, it is a tragedy of events.

As to the distaste of the Joker: It isn't a comic book, so get over it. I agree, the Joker from TDK is not the Joker from The Killing Joke, nor is he something Bob Kane ever drew. He isn't a jovial maniac, he is rather a sardonic lunatic. Instead of whimsy v seriousness, they went with control v chaos. They positioned him as a foil to Batman, and the Batman they have been painting in these films is less a person devoted to seriousness (which needs a whimsicle counterpoint), but of order.

Batman is a disturbing character, because even though he adheres to a strict moral code, he is the embodiment of fascism. He is about control, about rigid adherence to laws and codes, he is about going above and beyond to punish those deemed punishable. The Dark Knight Returns, which goes out of its way to try and prove how NOT a fascist Batman is, is a loveletter to fascism (and proves that anyone who was surprised when Miller went completely nutso had never really payed attention to anything he'd said before). In the movie, he is shown (and by extension--fascist government rule) is shown to be ineffective at preventing chaos. He is able only to fight other organized crimes, which operate with largely the same set of rules as him, with the same thought processes. His only victory is when he simply trusts in humanity to do the right thing, as a whole, and is vindicated (and yes, the authority figures are implicated in this as lacking moral vigor--this isn't surprising). Further, his power to fight this threat is almost worthless without exceeding his limits. It is simultaneously a justification of things like The Patriot Act and a condemnation of it--because he is able to see, mostly through Fox, that this power is absolutely, damningly too much for any person or entity to possess. The joker is perfectly positioned to fight this batman, it is an argument about what constitutes humanity (chaos or order/kindness or evil) and how it should be ruled over.

It is not a superhero movie in the traditional sense. It isn't slavishly devoted to realism (because the vigilante idiots who get their butts handed to them are the only portrayal of realism, Batman being a much more mythic figure), with its super villains, its nicely symmetrical, eye-sparring scars, and etc; but it isn't resigned to simple, over-the-top theatrics. It is a study of power, and particular its corrupting effects and its relation to people. Batman Begins is very much a Spiderman Lesson (great power, great responsibility, blah, blah), TDK is very much a reminder that this power doesn't trump humanity. It is the antidote to Begins' overoptimism (and the overoptimism of almost any superhero film, or cop film, or anti-cop film), and it is a study in humanity. It leans on reality, when that is helpful, keeping things as grounded as it can, but it is not afraid to make use of the extreme, for reasons of theatrics and for reasons of symbolism.

All told, TDK, while possessing flaws (RICO, null coded type things which, really, don't actually matter), is a fantastic film, was one of the best action films when it came out and holds up surprisingly well on repeated viewings. If all you care about is not knowing, of COURSE it doesn't work on repeated viewings (because, well, you know how it goes). If you care about the ideas that are driving it (and this is largely what the movie is--a movie of ideas), then it is truly excellent.

Also, you're an idiot (I felt I'd treated you far too seriously throughout this, arguing points you didn't actually make and giving some credibility to your objections, which are completely lacking).

First, insulting me for my grammar and then saying in the end I am idiot? Couldn't you keep the post without that? Does it feel good to you or what? I am not english native person motherfucker and in my language we write commas every so often, so don't blame me for commas and other shit, I think I handle english very well compared to some people. So go fuck yourself with that.

As for the points you stated, well that is how you want to excuse the flaws for yourself, besides where did Joker get time to plant that bomb in that persons stomach etc? How does it all carry out so well when he is held prisoner? That didn't make sense as well. And yes you nailed it about the points of the film, but that is exactly why it is not a good superhero movie for me. Besides, this twisted society theme was done better in other movies, but I don't need that stuff in Batman movie if you pardon me, where it feels the worse. The movie is too symbolitic then. I mean it's pretty clear, also from what you pointed out... The ideas are not excellent, it's just all rotten and cliched, there is no escapism in this. I play games or watch movies to escape the reality of the world, not to be constantly reminded of it. I do that to have fun, to relax. This movie however, there's just only pain when rewatching it.
http://www.thedarkknightsucks.com/20...pair-together/

Oh no, a semi-realistic movie about a super hero can't have people that can fly and shoot laser beams out of their eyes in it! I HATED (absolutely HATED) the crossover comics with Batman in them. Batman was a regular guy that fought crime with technology, not some over-the-top, has to have super powers to survive character. DON'T. CARE.
That wasn't the point at all, the point was that it disallowed other movies taking place, tbh I would rather like there to be Batman Beyond movie (which was planned but cancelled). Hell there are even Batman Beyond new comics.

WTFH? You are comparing this to Batman Returns for Pete's sake...
What I meant with over the top is that it wasn't so over the top "serious" like this one. Don't have correct words to explain but you get the point, of course there are ridiculous things in Batman Returns but it wasn't its weak point at all.

For the rest of the stuff I agree with that more or less and give you points for it, at least your post didn't directly insult me either.

Last edited:

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
And why is that? What is wrong with freedom of speech? So Leo has no right to express his views now, because everyone around will team up and make a Leo(T.C.K.) sucks thread or derail the current one? Or will a poor excuse for an administrator call him insane? (are you a psychiatrist to make such a claim, Haarg? Still haven't seen you apologize for that insultive claim). What is WRONG with you people? For now only like 4-5 replies out of fu**ing 4 pages are decent replies, rest is just pathetic trolling and spam!

Wait a second, are you his boyfriend or something?

And even if I made a Leo(T.C.K.) sucks thread, isn't that my opinion? Why can't I (try to) enforce it on other people like Leo(T.C.K.) does? Didn't he make a Deus Ex sucks thread? Isn't this Christopher Nolan sucks thread? How is Leo better than the makers of one of the most influential games or this other guy whoever he is?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That wasn't the point at all, the point was that it disallowed other movies taking place, tbh I would rather like there to be Batman Beyond movie (which was planned but cancelled). Hell there are even Batman Beyond new comics.
Batman Beyond was a great animated series, but it would make a REALLY terrible live action film. The point is a non-issue. Several of the characters in the Batman comics could be handled in a "more realistic" way, just like Scarecrow was in BB and TDK.
What I meant with over the top is that it wasn't so over the top "serious" like this one. Don't have correct words to explain but you get the point, of course there are ridiculous things in Batman Returns but it wasn't its weak point at all.
You're right, Batman Returns was just a terrible movie altogether. Also, seriousness in comic-book-to-live-action translations can only be a good thing. My least favorite things about the Tobey Maguire Spiderman film was the lack of any seriousness whatsoever and I really hope that The Amazing Spiderman resolves that. I like the serious take on these in live action films. Leave the over-the-top (using this correctly here) crap and the fantastical stuff for the animated series' where they belong.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Wait a second, are you his boyfriend or something?

And even if I made a Leo(T.C.K.) sucks thread, isn't that my opinion? Why can't I (try to) enforce it on other people like Leo(T.C.K.) does? Didn't he make a Deus Ex sucks thread? Isn't this Christopher Nolan sucks thread? How is Leo better than the makers of one of the most influential games or this other guy whoever he is?

No he isn't, but he feels the need to defend his friends. Besides I changed my opinion about Deus Ex, but I still felt that the game is really overrated compared to the overall enjoyment. And to be honest I also wanted to see how people will react to me saying that Deus Ex sucks seeing it was liked by so many people here. But you see, it's all in a good spirit. You can make LeoTCK sucks, I don't care, but in this case it seems it is more of a personal attack than just saying something sucks casually.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Batman Beyond was a great animated series, but it would make a REALLY terrible live action film. The point is a non-issue. Several of the characters in the Batman comics could be handled in a "more realistic" way, just like Scarecrow was in BB and TDK.

You're right, Batman Returns was just a terrible movie altogether. Also, seriousness in comic-book-to-live-action translations can only be a good thing. My least favorite things about the Tobey Maguire Spiderman film was the lack of any seriousness whatsoever and I really hope that The Amazing Spiderman resolves that. I like the serious take on these in live action films. Leave the over-the-top (using this correctly here) crap and the fantastical stuff for the animated series' where they belong.
I don't like the Tobey Macguire Spiderman stuff either, it's too cheesy and changes even things that were more serious in the comics or the 90s animated series, to a completely ridiculous stuff. Even Peter Parker himself looked far more mature than Tobey Macguire interpretation of him, yeah I know the comics were changing during various eras over again and so the potrayal of spiderman, but I got tired of that performance of Macguire.
I don't think Batman Beyond would make a terrible film, just take stuff that isn't so fantastical and make a good movie out of it, hell in the Batman Beyond pilot itself there isn't much fantastical stuff either, it could serve as a good basis and it was dark as well, for a cartoon.

Still I don't agree about Batman Returns being a bad film, it was enjoyable movie and my favorite of the live action ones.

And I liked the new Scarecrow in Batman Begins as well, just fyi.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
"Still, it could be worse. My nose could be gushing blood..."

Batman Returns is worth watching for Danny Devito alone.
I certainly never meant to imply it wasn't an enjoyable movie to watch. But I wouldn't call it a good or great film.

Status
Not open for further replies.