Deus Ex sucks!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
Deus Ex was the first game to really give you a few different ways to approach any given problem. Sure the game was flawed in a lot of respects; but overall I think it deserves the revered place it has in gamer's hearts.

It's still one of the few games I've played through more than twice. And also one of the few games that has moments I particularly remember.

A co-op Deus Ex would be awesome.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I doubt it was the first game to do that. First game that got noticed yes, or first RPG/FPS hybrid to do it that way. But then there were also some console titles doing that apparently too.

I like the exploration and the way you can choose things. But it's a passive game, very passive. The action is really subpar and I expect a good action from FPS. It relies too much on supposed realism and you can use almost everything in the game, as I said I wasn't surprised I couldn't use rat or surgeon...erhm a pidgeon to unlock a door. :lol:

But the GUI is terrible, outright terrible. One of worst I have seen in games. It could have been a lot simpler and still retain all that funcionality. But whatever.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Aaaand I'm striking with a new video I just recorded:

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_dqrN4zb4A[/M]

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
People really can't suck it up...
suck what up?
you're the one who doesn't like the game and is yelling and crying about it.

I think most people are at peace with their opinion on Deus Ex.
sounds like it's you who needs to suck it up.
I expect a good action from FPS.
just because it's FPS does not mean it's supposed to be an action game.

Deus Ex is not an action game.
if you were expecting excessive action then that is your problem, not the games.
It relies too much on supposed realism
no it doesn't.
no one has ever described Deus Ex as being realistic.

the problem with your opinion about the game is that it is skewed; both by your ignorance (expecting it to be something it's not) and by the presumptions you brought into the experience. you hated the game before you even played it. you assumed it was crap and so crap is the only thing you can find in it.

yes, it has flaws. but what your pea brain fails to understand is that the "flaws" exhibited by Deus Ex were actually pretty common during that era of gaming. 1999 was still a fairly primitive time for video games. you're judging a title that's like 15 years old by comparing it to modern industry standards; when in fact, it was Deus Ex that established many of those standards within the genre. they were far from polished, but Deus Ex was implementing them in a way that no one had done before and HUNDREDS of games have attempted to copy since.

Deus Ex is an important game.
there's a reason it's been Game of the Decade and referenced so many times as an influence in the creation of countless other titles.

modern video games have multi-million dollar budgets and have benefited from decades of UI and graphics refinement. Deus Ex didn't have that. so yeah, it's easy to make fun of nowadays. but you're an idiot for making fun of it as this only reveals how clueless you are.

besides, the fact that you LOVE Daiktana so much (a game that has been universally panned by most critics and players alike) tells me all I need to know about how valid your opinion is... which is to say, it's not valid, and it's as stupid as you are.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Load of BS

Guess what Smartass, you are completely clueless. I haven't compared it to the modern gaming standards, in fact I hate modern gaming standards. So this is the game that started that decline then? Hmm, nice to know.

Look I can count a thousand times I have been called an idiot or to die by many of you, yet I never complained a moderator about it.

Daikatana was panned by critics because they wanted it to suck, it is all one big pathological factor. But there are many people who think otherwise, there is still small community running and everyone knows that Daikatana has a great deathmatch, even those who otherwise hated the game.

The problem is in YOU, not ME.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
yes, it has flaws. but what your pea brain fails to understand is that the "flaws" exhibited by Deus Ex were actually pretty common during that era of gaming. 1999 was still a fairly primitive time for video games. you're judging a title that's like 15 years old by comparing it to modern industry standards; when in fact, it was Deus Ex that established many of those standards within the genre. they were far from polished, but Deus Ex was implementing them in a way that no one had done before and HUNDREDS of games have attempted to copy since.

Deus Ex is an important game.
there's a reason it's been Game of the Decade and referenced so many times as an influence in the creation of countless other titles.

Why must people always conflate important with good? There are games that are both, but the two are neither mutually exclusive nor necessarily linked. Except when looking at something as an artifact (in which case the quality of the object is of no concern), we should always consider things for what they ARE, not what they were.

Deus Ex was a very important game, but it isn't a very good one. I can watch Citizen Kane and say that it is a very good movie, I can read Borges and say his pieces are outstanding, but I cannot play DX and say it is a good game unless I put in a half dozen caveats. This doesn't go for all older games by any stretch of the imagination, but it does for this game. At the same time I don't mean to say that enjoyment can't be had with the game, but seriously, even those that love the game have to have the sense to acknowledge this.

I know that Leo is an idiot, but that doesn't mean that we have to suspend reason when talking to him

~ Jason

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
On one hand I'm considering the possibility that this is a troll thread - an attempt of creating some sort of new nostalgic rivalry from the late 90s. On the other hand, the author of this thread is Leo, and I've found his previous threads and posts to be more terrible than good. In either case this thread has a few pages of replies, so I should probably just tell DNB that I approve of his use of animated gifs.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I can't even stand to respond here in a serious way anymore. Because of that, here is a youtube video.

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBPJTK1YBvs[/m]

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Old school/New School is the only/is not a school.

So far this thread has inspired me to reinstall Deus Ex and finish it this time. I don't mind outdated graphics and all that jibber-jabber as much as some seem to. Gameplay is still a gem that you won't find in this modern era; arguing it's because the gameplay is outdated is something I find more subjective than a fact. I like my endless inventories, thank you very much. What, are you trying to play it on a console?

Also, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series are fun, with some caveats.

But yeah, I get that modern games streamline things and make things more polished and all that, but there's some charm in playing games that don't cut all the rough edges off. Some people (including myself) favor Morrowind over Oblivion (hell, some like Daggerfall over Oblivion). It's because the older games deliver an experience you simply don't have in the modern era. True, a flawed experience, but an unique one nonetheless.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
To be fair it's a waste of time either way.
Leo to Reason, is like, a Tyrannosaurus rex(Jurassic Park) to movement.

Oh really? You don't know me personally to even say that, in fact I am quite the opposite. I think it is a bit unfair for you all to say I am an idiot, just based on offtopic forum posts or to even understand them in the way I meant them.