Dreamcast maps?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Really? I guess I'm lucky then :)
I bought it in some computer store back in 2002, I believe. There were about 3 copies of those left.

That's strange, just installed it, browsed the RA maps and they're nowhere to be found :confused:
The cd does contain S3TCs indeed ;)

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
The maps themselves. I thought the Dreamcast maps converted for RA were already there. Where can I find these maps?

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
The maps themselves. I thought the Dreamcast maps converted for RA were already there. Where can I find these maps?

They don't have the same names. Try to see the RA maps in the editor; AFAIK, they contain full pieces of the Dreamcast ones.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Yes, they are definately on that totally unreal pack. But you need to listen carefully here:
Atari screwed up when manufacturing the pack, they put the wrong stickers on the wrong cds.
As a result the actual bonus cd is labeled "return to na pali" or something. I can't remember what disc it actually was, so just run through all the cds until you find the REAL bonus content cd. It is DEFINATELY in there somewhere.

Remember though that the rocket arena mod only includes 90% of the exclusive dreamcast stuff because it is a deathmatch gametype. It only includes dom maps and dm maps ported to RA. You'll need to search elsewhere for the ctf maps.

I might finish sepulchure at some point, i've got more time now then ever before, but i really can't be assed to do laps in my house between computer and TV. Maybe i could just go from memory, it's a simple map. After that i can post it up here for you guys and any edits you feel are necessary to get it the way it was before can be carried out.

EDIT: I can see you're confused by the naming system. I know a way to clear this up for you quite fast. Just play the mod for 20 minutes. It should explain everything.
The RA maps are essentially 5 dreamcast maps stuck together in a single map. The only thing you need to do to separate them is draw a big box around the the arena of choice in Ued and ctrl-V ctrl-C them to a different .unr file.

Back to names: The arenas all are labeled by their correct, dreamcast names INGAME, so if you want to know exactly which arena it is that you are currently working on just play the rocket arena mod and find that arena in the game. Once you are there you should know exactly what dreamcast arena you are working on.

Last edited:

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
They don't have the same names. Try to see the RA maps in the editor; AFAIK, they contain full pieces of the Dreamcast ones.
I did, but still, I can't find them anywhere. I do see some official maps like Curse, Codex, Liandri and Morbias, but no ported Dreamcast maps... They either aren't there in my version, or I'm going blind.

Last edited:

TheIronKnuckle

This might be tomfoolery on epics part actually, hold on...... I'll check Ued.
Well, i've checked Ued and i can find all the arenas on RA-CliffyB. Just for reference , could you check that map and see what you can see?
Also check that you have the latest patch, because there is actually another ptach that you need to install on one of the totally unreal bonus discs. Rocket arena might require this patch, or textures from it or something.

TheIronKnuckle

If you can't find the maps no matter what try playing the RA mod and see if the maps work or not in game. If all else fails, tell me because i have a solution to this that will work no matter what. (But i'm lazy so try to figure out how to get around these problems yourself for now :p)

EDIT: http://files.filefront.com/RA+to+DM+conversion+MapPack/;5057054;/fileinfo.html
Someone has already separated the map files into their original dreamcast forms. He also converted to dm, added music, screenshots, and pickups. The only thing is, he had no clue that he was messing around with dreamcast levels. So his music choices are wrong, the way he has layed out his pickups are wrong, his screenshots are wrong.

So this is even better then before. The download is like 18 meg and you get 30 maps or soemthing. If you want to go through and rearrange his pickups then here you go.

Last edited:

Elegnaim

Sep 3, 2005
I'veplayed the RA to DM pack. I'll agree that the item placement is odd and the bot behavior could be improved. However, not having the DC port, i'm not the one to go through and fix things, but whoever does has my full support and admiration.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
I downloaded the separate conversions, still I don't recognize them (only checked the Cliffyb maps though). Note that I only played the PS2 version of UT and I'm under the impression that the Dreamcast version has maps the PS2 hasn't got. Don't know if this is vice versa. I assumed they'd all be the same.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Ok, I guess that explains a lot.

Then I'm afraid can't do much to port these maps to pc either (i.e. correcting item placement and improving bot network).

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Well, if you have a photocamera that is decent enough to take pictures from tv screens, you could provide me them showing the item locations :p Kind of a hassle, true, but if you really want them we can solve this that way ;)

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Emulation could be a possibility if you have a powerful enough PC. There's Dreamcast emulators out there that are pretty darn accurate, but...

1) As I said, beefy system required. You'll need at least a 2 GHz singlecore. More is better. More cores is better.

2) You'd have to find a disc image of the game, which is naturally illegal if you don't own it and of dubious legality even if you do.

3) You'd have to hope that the emulator runs it.

So we'll see, I guess... :p

Cyberia-Mix

Aug 20, 2008
@last post: Plz let me see this remake of yours! :D
Here you go.

As I said this wasn't mean to be exactly like the original.
The original Spirito uses a custom red/blue brick texture that I don't (I use Ancient.utx textures instead), and a brown brick texture with no black delimitation line like the original Unreal texture iirc. Texture alignment orientation and scaling also may be different in some places, but overall, it's still Spirito.
I paid extra attention about bothpathing to recreate the same behaviour as PS2 but it's not exactly perfect. :[
I also spent much time making the lighting as close as possible to the original one.

Well, if someone wants to put the effort of making the custom textures needed and align all the textures like the original, feel free to go for it, 'cause I won't. :D
I can provide an identical version in items and brushwork if needed (mine has a tiny couple of changes... + the flak :D).

EDIT: screen!
And I need to update the map screenshot and the author's name as well. :þ

Last edited: