TF2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I'm surprised it's one piece of metal, period per player. I'm still hoping it's 1 per 24 hour period.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
O rly? This is good to know.

I said I hope. We'll know tonight. From the forums it sounds like the haunted metal is only for the skull hat, juju hat, or the axe, and the axe can turn into the other two so it's not a terrible situation. The other two hats are normal hats and you can get them as random drops apparently.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Okay, I've reinstalled this game for the meantime I get Black Ops.

I've been playing on servers with less than 20 players and it's really enjoyable. The only thing is that nearly every freaking servers run the cp_manor map. I can understand we are getting closer to Halloween but there's a lot I haven't played since I left, making it annoying. Also I thought I was bad at the game, it seems like I have been either playing on Pro servers or against a lot of pro players because last night server's performances were really casual and mixed.

I try to play all classes, even Medic. I figured it's better for me to play Medic when some of the best soldier/heavies are playing. Went on a rampage last night.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
And I also wish to add that some of the USD prices they have on their item market is atrociously bad. You can get the game for at least 3 if not 4 individuals for the price of some packs they have on there. The sniper polypack is $10 USD for 4-5 items I think?

Last edited:

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Okay, I've reinstalled this game for the meantime I get Black Ops.

I've been playing on servers with less than 20 players and it's really enjoyable. The only thing is that nearly every freaking servers run the cp_manor map. I can understand we are getting closer to Halloween but there's a lot I haven't played since I left, making it annoying. Also I thought I was bad at the game, it seems like I have been either playing on Pro servers or against a lot of pro players because last night server's performances were really casual and mixed.

I try to play all classes, even Medic. I figured it's better for me to play Medic when some of the best soldier/heavies are playing. Went on a rampage last night.
Yeah I actually typically like the Medic quite a lot.

Though I make sure to say one thing on the microphone -- protect your medic or I'll leave your ass if I'm about to die. Keep me protected though... and I'll heal multiple people, uber my main partner constantly, ubersaw boost to get quick ubers, etc.

But if you run off into danger trying to use me to get an extra second of life... ... I'ma leave and find a better player... or change class.

These days I seem to use Medic and Scout primarily, then the Pyro if we need support... ... Engineer if I'm not really into working hard... ... Demoman or Soldier if we need heavy hitting... ... but really I'll use any class... even the spy (regular watch mostly... but sometimes cloak and dagger if I need to take down high valued targets -- ex: if they send in uber medics at semi-regular intervals... or I grab the intel, drop it, and wait for someone to guard if I know there's always one soldier or heavy defender)

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
I have a full set of halloween masks if anyone wants the Sackston Hale achievement and mask that you get from crafting them together. I'm hoping to get 2 refined metal so I can make the Horsemann's axe.

I also have a couple extra masks, not part of the set, I'd trade for some scrap metal: Soldier, Pyro, Demoman(x2), Heavy, Medic, Sniper, Spy.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Ok, so I just bought the game for myself today. What's all this fuss about purchaseable items about? Last time I played you just played the game and that was that..?

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
The fuss is the fact that Valve has made in-game items cost money... anything like that sparks controversy in the game industry now. Most people don't care however because the game has doubled in size since it's release for free (so some fans have no problem throwing more money at Valve) and 90% of the items you can still get for free through random drops, crafting or trading.

There are some people who are addicted to trading. I have a handful of friends who are obsessed with obtaining highly sought-after items and collecting virtual assets basically. I've heard of rumors of the extremely rare "unusual" hats (hats with special particle effects) going for hundreds of dollars via paypal.

Valve also had a contest at polycount to create original content for the game. The winners had their items placed in the game and in the store. Most of the creators have made thousands of dollars. Some of the people have made over 100k now I think.

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Ok, but do these items affect gameplay at all? As in, another Battlefield-esque situation where people will be able to kill me in ways that I can't do to them, due to them having more/better items?

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Ok, but do these items affect gameplay at all? As in, another Battlefield-esque situation where people will be able to kill me in ways that I can't do to them, due to them having more/better items?

No they don't affect gameplay balance much. They are alternate weapons/items, not improved or more powerful. Theres a rocket launcher that shoots faster but does less damage, for example.

You can get most of the items by random drops or completing the challenges (achievments).

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Yeah the only things you can't get through achievements or crafting or trading are special hats that just look pretty and have no gameplay value.

This game is still insanely fun to play and gets really awesome support from Valve and there is a huge community that churns out custom content as well.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
No they don't affect gameplay balance much.

Not unless you count when, for instance, ppl are supposed to be pushing the cart but there's a half dozen players over in a corner trying to make deals on items/hats, and clogging up in-game chat with it. Not in to play just trying to get "kewl!" items. :rolleyes: :tdown:

Lame as fck.

Valve has really screwed the pooch with TF2, trying to milk some extra $$ out of a 3+ y.o. title. They've ruined what was once a very fun game, and I've played about 700 hrs. since the beta in '07.

Last edited:

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
rAt.8^].bAg;2482221 said:
Not unless you count when, for instance, ppl are supposed to be pushing the cart but there's a half dozen players over in a corner trying to make deals on items/hats, and clogging up in-game chat with it. Not in to play just trying to get "kewl!" items. :rolleyes: :tdown:

That's happened to me a couple times so far, it sure sucks. :( Thankfully it hasn't been an all the time thing on the servers I've played on. They usually end up leaving when they get the items they want, and then people who actually want to play join.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Solution: play on a server that isn't full of dip****s, or perhaps has active admins to kick dip****s.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
^ IMO, it happens enough to bork gameplay, b/c you don't know in the middle of a map when/who is going to go off trolling for items, at which point it becomes a PITA to keep jumping servers to find a game you can actually finish.

Team Fortress 2 used to be one of my all-time fave titles. It was fun to play and funny, not over-complicated but still required some skill, strategy, and above all - teamwork. Now it's about me getting stuff or you getting more stuff. They should rename it: "TOols Craving Items Fortress 2" or something.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Well you can't fix stupid.

As your posting demonstrates.
emot-smug.gif

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
Stupid would be wasting $$ on retarded TF2 items, or even bothering with the game anymore.

Have fun widdat, Skippy. :wavey: