Rapid fire with sniper rifle

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I've played on a few servers where certain player s seem to have the ability to fire several consecutive shots with the sniper rifle, cutting you down to nothing in 3 quick shots. These shots are fast enough that once you begin to get hit there is almost no chance of moving out of the way (dodging, jumping, or otherwise). I have a DSL connection so I don't think that this is a delayed reaction. Can somebody please tell me if I'm nuts or if this rapid fire is possible and if it is then how to do it.

Thanks,
Poopstick (that's right, I said Poopstick)

Mr Z

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
Ok I thought I was the only one who ever faced an unusually fast sniper rifle. I would have thought nothing of it but I had my suspicions on two separate accounts but the same server.

GregC

May 21, 2000
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Visit site
This is just an idea (I don't have time to try it myself, $#%* the exams... :) ), but in TFC you could do something similar with the demoman class; you had a script where you fired your weapon, then changed it to something else and then back very quickly (not hard with a script), which enabled you to detonate timed bombs much quicker, the game lost the time counter after you changed weapons.

Maybe this works in UT for faster fire (if the game 'forgets' when you fired last after changing weapons).

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
It takes a bit to actually change weapons..

What is the gamespeed set to?
Two hits w/ a sniper rifle will kill anyone w/ 0 armor & 100 health... granted it isn't a headshot.

Do you mean fast like the enforcer (which is normal) or like the pulse rifle?

No, Zombie, I'm talking about a normal speed (100%) game where you get shot "bang - bang" so fast that you can't react to the second shot after you've been hit by the first one. I thought maybe some players have changed something in their .ini files to allow them to do this. Comments?

- Poopstick (yeah, I said Poopstick again. (It really is Poopstick).

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
Hmmmmm,

I don't know Mr. Poopstick.

I would think that even if I changed my ini-file, the server still shouldn't allow it.

Of course, I'm no computer smartyfarty guy.

If a server admin is playing, he can cheat. But I've never heard of an admin doing this particular cheat.

It could be part of the internet timewarp. You know how sometime you see a guy running, and due to lag he suddenly hyperspaces 5 feet ahead of where he is? Maybe this kind of weirdness could result in apparently superfast sniper shooting.

Or maybe it wasn't a single shooter. Did you check to make sure there wasn't a second shooter behind the grassy knoll?

bullet2.gif

Clan [Boom]
The undisputed, undefeated, world champion, 1on1, UT clan.
[Boom]Boom|PuF

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
Dammit, I thought that was funny ;)

I wave the poopstick at all of you ;)

bullet2.gif

Clan [Boom]
The undisputed, undefeated, world champion, 1on1, UT clan.
[Boom]Boom|PuF

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
maybe the server had the Akimbo mod enabled...but you'd know if this was the case, right?

and Boom..."grassy knoll"? LMAO! :)

bullet2.gif

gramps|PuF

pride is a luxury.

Omega-Seven

Apr 17, 2000
none.yet
Could be the cousin of the RL, the PL... that thing kills way more surely than anything else...=)

But you know, part of the long re-fire delay comes from aiming...if that person isn't aiming, just straight up firing, that's pretty fast...

damn it Boom, this better not be some long dead post you revived o_O !!
=)

bullet2.gif

The undisputed champion of Respawning.
-Jing|PuF|

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
Can you bind a key to say... maybe fire 2, 3 times in a row? If so, all the would have to do is aim, and hit the bound key.. I dunno... either that or they have custom bolts & firing pins in their rifles :)

38 out of 40 on my first M-16 rifle range in the Army ;) Steel sights

bullet2.gif

Feck the bozos
--Brad Pitt, 12 Monkeys

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
If you hold down the primary fire on the sniper rifle, it starts to repeat pretty quickly. Other than that, a player's ping could have an effect. An Lpb will be able to register his shots much more quickly. Also, there is a "hit" animation that may be partly responsible for your lack of control when you are being shot.

Mobo

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
Hehe...I was playing on a server with regular weapons, plain DM, no mutators and guess what...there is this guy running around with InstaGib, blowing everyone in pieces. First I thought I had a grahics corruption because his PR was red color but after he killed me with one shot (I was 150-shield belt and 199 health) I realized what was going on...You can't really stop cheaters from cheating...I just switch servers, which sucks...especially if I have good game going.

bullet2.gif

***Nobody knows what happens to us when we die...we just guessing.***

Fizzy

Bubbling
May 3, 2000
Visit site
Chances are, someone was just holding down their fire key. You'd be surprised how fast the sniper rifle shoots when someone has good aim.

It's not a cheat, just a good sniper.

bullet2.gif

"I wanted to be born again; but mom said no."

D

Dark_Outlaw

i think it might have been me that killed ya...but i dont know. sorry bout that! what server was it and i can tell you?

i run with the sniper rifle, it is my primary weapon. i changed my crosshairs to a triangle, and as soon as it gets on someone, i hold down the fire. it shoots fairly quickly, i can go through a ton of rounds in a couple of seconds. i dont do anything special though. and when i snipe, i never zoom either. i also have a dsl connection.

D

Dark_Outlaw

whoops, left this out...but as far as i know there are no scripts or anything for rapid fire. that wouldnt be fair at all...

the sniper rifle is underrated. it amuses me how many times i get called camper when i havent stayed still all game, just ppl see their head fly off and assume.